It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• doctors who do botox for spasticty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
    jack1963
    (male)

jack1963 HB User
    doctors who do botox for spasticty

doctors who do botox for spasticty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
    Larry88
    (male)

Larry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB User
    Re: doctors who do botox for spasticty

hi Jack, I'm not sure what you're looking for in your post? looking for doctors who do botox injections? or comments, about botox?

my personal experience is as follows, my stroke happennend on November 2nd. 1992 had my 1st botox injections early 1993. at the time, botox for spasticity was in it's infancy, I was told it would last 3-6 months for my frop foot. when in fact it didn't even last until I left the doctor's office. I never noticed any difference at all. after hundreds of hours of physical therapy and dozens of shots of botox, which are quite expensive, $600-$800 per sets of injections!

after about 14 years, I was referred by my neurologist to a doctor who does both botox and phenol injections phenol he said would be permenant while botox is temporary, after seeing him several times for both kinds of shots over a year and a half with no success, toreally brag about. he referred me to a doctor Mary Ann Keenen at the university of pennselvania hospital in philiadelphia, PA. who does a procedure called SPLATT surgery, I don't know the exact name for the letters? only that it is a tendon transfer in my foot. involved 19 incisions and only one night in hospital, I had to stay two nights due to problems passing urine after the anastesia. the first 5 days after, were the most painful days of my life! then things got better, I was able to walk upstairs to my bedroom.

I had the surgery February 22nd 2008, after 6-8 weeks in walking casts on my foot, and 6 weeks of physical therapy, after my 6 mont check up with the doctor, she told me I could walk and bend my foot all I wanted? just don't bend it down, that was August 3rd.2008 my wife and I left her office coming home, and stopped at an Office Max store, bought me a computer chair, I've been in my wheelchair twice since then, once to go Christmas shopping and once to my 40th. hogh school reunion then simply cause I wasn't sure how far or much I'd have to walk?

now, I'm walking around in the house with no foot brace and no cane, do use my cane going outside. if I had to do it over, I'd have had thist SPLATT surgery within 6 months of my stroke! I can now stand in the shower on both feet, not balancing on one. who knows how much better I'd be now? if had it 15 years earlier. there are only a handful of doctors in the country who do this surgery, mine is one of the three who pioneered it to begin with. they can do this for drop foot, arms that have curled up and hands that have coled into a fist. they cant make the muscles work, only your brain can do that? what they do is, extend and transfer tendon to relieve the spasticity and allow the foot, arm, or hand to relax into a more normal position

it's the best thing I've ever done for my improvement since my stroke!

good luck and God bless

Larry/coupe

Closed Thread