It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Topiramate & stroke symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
    batzany
    (female)

batzany HB User
    Question Topiramate & stroke symptoms

Hi everyone. I'm Sherri & 39 years old. I suffered an ischemic stroke (left hemispere) at age 10 that was diagnose at U of M Children's hopsital in Michigan. The doctors never did figure out where the blod clot came from. I fully recovered. Although I do have current muscle/skeletal issues stemming from the stroke that I'm in physical therapy for. I have severe generalized anxiety. I also had a hole in my heart (PFO) closed in July 2009. My current docs think the PFO basically caused my stroke by allowing the small clot to pass through my upper heart chambers.

I'n April 2009 a psychiatrist I had been going to put me on 25mg Topiramate (generic Topamax) to try to control my anxiety. I was to take the med at night. Topiramate is most commonly used as a anti-migraine/ anti-seizure med.

I took the med for 3 nights. I woke up around 2:00am on the 3rd night with my entire brain pulsating (felt like it was smacking into my skull). I fell back asleep. The next day I decided to stop the topiramate because of the headache. As the day progressed, I felt like my head, arms, & legs weren't connected to my torso, and I felt like I was going to pass out if I stood too long. Even stranger still: while driving with my husband in the car, I had to stare at the floor board because the motion of the objects going by made me feel like I was being pushed backward out of my body (sort of like a real strange tunnel vision).

My husband took me to the ER where they ran a non-contrast dye CAT scan. I thought that was strange because I've had dozens of CAT scans, all with contrast dye. The scan showed my previous stroke damage but no new clots or damage. Through this ER visit they also did an echocardiogram bubble study which is how the hole in my heart (PFO) was discovered. The ER docs said it was the PFO that was causing my symptoms and recommended that I have it closed.

The ER visit was on 04/26/09 and I had the PFO closed 07/17/09. My odd symptoms slowly disappeared and were mostly gone by 05/15/09. So I can't help wondering if the ER missed something because I still don't feel right at times. I can't explain it. I just feel off once in awhile since taking the topiramate.

I read a post on here about someone having a non-contrast CAT scan where nothing was found, and then they had a CAT scan with contrast dye where a blood clot was found. So now I'm a bit freaked out.

Should I ask my general practioner for a contrast dye CAT scan? Or am I overthinking things (I do have generalized anxiety & tend to do that)

Thank you for taking the time to read this very long post (my posts tend to be long sorry) & thanks in advance for any input you may have for me.

~Sherri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread