It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Possible Mini-Stroke?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
    Possible Mini-Stroke?

I had a problem a few weeks ago which I think may have been a mini stroke.

I was walking slowly and started listing to the left very badly. I tried to correct it and couldn't. Then, when it finally stopped, I felt a foggy feeling in the left side of my head. After that, I had headaches for about six days. (Actually have them almost every day now). I Have also been having memory problems and extreme fatigue.

I am going to have an MRI on my brain this week. This incident did happen a few weeks ago, though.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for your attention.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
    Re: Possible Mini-Stroke?

Hi MRI sounds good too bad it can't be faster

Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Sounds like it could have been a stroke for sure.

If this ever happens again, get yourself to the ER immediately - it can mean the difference between life and death/total recovery or permanent impairment.

I was in denial too at my symptoms and went to the hospital only the next day. That was foolish of me, and I'm just very lucky to be okay now.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I agree with Chloe1252. Some hospitals are only a one star rating. A relative's stroke was not really detected immediately even with an MRI and took some very special looking on the insistence of a bright relative to find it on the MRI after the fact. Some insistence may be necessary.

Last edited by sjb; 09-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User

Thankyou very much for your replies.

You are right, I should have gone to the ER right away. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't. Next time I will. Now I just have to wait for the MRI and results and am going to have my MD do some other tests just to rule a bunch of things out.

I really do appreciate your responses; makes me feel less alone.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

As another stroke survivor, I can understand your feelings of confusion and fatigue. These are two of the signs of stroke, and you will likely continue with those feelings for some time.

The fatigue aspect is very common, and a cause of concern of many stroke survivors. The immediate response is to jump up and keep going, just like you do when you take a fall, or trip.

The big difference here is that your brain has gone into repair mode . If your stroke is a mild one, the time it takes will be shorter. But whatever is found in your MRI will need attention.

We have many others here with strokes that will be happy to explain and comfort you on the way to recovery. I am one of them, my name is Janet, and I have had 4 strokes.

How are you feeling these days? Feel free to continue to post, we are here to help you until you know what the doctor says.

Have you had any vision changes?

I look forward to getting to know you better...hang in there, Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 09-29-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Quote:
    I should have gone to the ER right away. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't.
    I understand. You think it will "go away", especially if you've always been healthy as I was. It was only when the doctor asked why I waited and I tried to answer that I realized how foolish I sounded.

As Janet says, the fatigue is a big part of this and it lingers for a long time even with a mild stroke.

The dr. at the ER I went to quickly found my stroke with a CT scan.

You are definitely not alone and we understand anything you may be feeling so don't hesitate to say whatever is on your mind. A stroke is a very scary thing and since you don't look any different, many people do not understand what you're going through. We do!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

Wink Re: Possible Mini-Stroke?

Hi Janet,

Thankyou so much for writing back and your kind thoughts.
    Unfortunately, I was feeling worse, so I went to the ER and they did a brain scan on me--it showed all was normal. This relieved me very much. I still have the MRI tomorrow. At the ER they also did some blood work, testing me for Lupus? I don't know.

(On a different note-Today I get a call from the radiologist saying that they want me to come in tomorrow for a repeat mammogram and ultra sound done also.
    Now I am scared of that).They will fit me in around the time I go for the brain MRI.

I know these headaches and the motor skill problem are indicating something, plus the extreme fatigue.

Would the MRI show something the CAT scan wouldn't, do you think?

Maybe it is something else, who knows.

I am so sorry to hear that you have experienced so many strokes. You must be a really strong person, and giving person, to reach out to others to make them feel less alone. I thankyou very much.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

Hi Chloe,

I would like to thank you for all your replies and your support also. Like Janet, you must be so caring and selfless to reach out to another to help them. I know you both have your own health issues and I really appreciate you taking time to help me with mine!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

eddysmom,

It is a wonderful feeling when you can offer your own experience to another, who it helps. Particularly stroke survivors, who are special to me, being one myself. Oh, and I have lots of time on my hands, and I can't walk by myself these days. Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 09-30-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

I am glad to have met you, my name is Linda.

Pretty soon I am leaving for that MRI.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good I am glad. Maybe in the future they could have emergency ones and make them faster so they take less time. Maybe in the future they won't cost so much so more places can have them and the tests will be less expensive but perhaps I am only dreaming. Well the board doesn't have a smiley with eyes shut so you can imagine one. :smile:

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Linda,

My thoughts are with you, as you get your MRI. Hopefully it will show something that will make sense. I am anxious to find out what you have learned today...until then, God Bless, Janet

Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
    eddysmom1
    Veteran
    (female)

Wink Re: Possible Mini-Stroke?

Hi SJB and Janet,

Thankyou for your thoughts! I haven't heard anything today from the Neurologist. He will probably leave work early, like he usually does, then the results will get faxed to his office.

I may have to wait until Monday.

Hope all is well for you.
    Thanks for being so nice.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

you are welcome! I hope all turns out well after all.

Closed Thread