It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• My mom took a stroke, help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
    MysticBlndMist
    (female)

MysticBlndMist HB User
    My mom took a stroke, help

I am wondering what to expect in the days following a stroke. I am new to this and have never seen anyone in the first few days to a week after having a stroke and just wondering what to expect?
    My mom (68) had a stroke on Sunday ( its now Saturday)... her speech is slurred and of course she is tired. The doctor said its a "left sided stroke" and her left hand and leg seem to be affected...She says she has feeling in her left side ( feels pain etc) but is unable to move either. she was suppose to have a swallowing test done but not sure if they have done it yet (were suppose to do it 3 times but didn't)....They have her on a feeding tube and her throat is swollen and has a hematoma on the one tonsil area she's able to talk but very slurred but seems to be able to understand what she is asked and remembers things from before the stroke and after . She answers questions but seems very sleepy. I guess what I am wondering is is this all normal following a few days to a week after a stroke? Does any of it improve on its own over time?.... She is on fluids and also heparin ( not sure if anything else)...she isn't allowed to drink anything and also on oxygen.... she had a heart attack 6 days before the stroke and had a stent put in and was released from the hospital a few days after but then took this stroke a few days after being released from the hospital. I am extremely worried about her and if she will be able to make a good recovery.. its been a very long week and a half and very emotional to say the least... I know every person is different but guess I am looking for someone who has either suffered this or had a loved one go through this who had the same effects only days after the stroke and maybe give me some hope of what to expect. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to MysticBlndMist:
    Larry88 (10-27-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
    MysticBlndMist
    (female)

MysticBlndMist HB User
    Re: My mom took a stroke, help

She also developed pneumonia and was placed back in the ICU, She is able to cough. Has a CT scan with dye tomorrow morning ( not sure what that means) This is very scary... can anyone share their experiences or have any info they could share?

Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

So sorry to hear of your mother's stroke and the complicating factors..

As for the stroke itself, yes, the extreme fatigue you see is normal and can last a long time after a stroke. I suffered a mild stroke and was VERY tired for months afterwards. The brain wants to "close shop" so to speak, and make you sleep so it can heal itself. I"m sure right now the priority for her is the pneumonia that must be taken care of before any rehabilitation can be done.

People can recover completely from a stroke, but can't do it on their own and need therapy but it can only be started once the patient is stable health-wise.

The CT scan will show what area of the brain is affected and how extensive the damage is.
    The fact that she can talk, understand what's being said to her and has feelings in the affected limbs is good.

We all know how scary and distressing this is for you. Sending good wishes that your mom can recover from the pneumonia! Take it one day at a time and feel free to hang out here. There are people on this forum who have made good recoveries even after very serious strokes and other health problems!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
    Londongal76
    (female)

Londongal76 HB User

Hiya,

My dad is 4 weeks in this week and sleeps a LOT so don't stress about it. The brain shuts down and tries to repair itself in a way, from what i've read here and elsewhere a lot of sleeping is very normal. It's quite hard to get used to when you're visiting as sometimes he's awake and responsive and other times he's literally spark out, you couldn't wake him if you wanted to. So don't panic, sleeping a lot is very very normal.

Thoughts are with you as it's a scary time, I hope it gets to a more stable point for you soon, then it's just a matter of time and physio and rehab.

Emma.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
    MysticBlndMist
    (female)

MysticBlndMist HB User

Thanks for the reply. Its greatly appreciated. Its such a rough and scary time right now and sometimes just feel so alone in it. Hope your dad is doing well.
    My mom will be into this two weeks on Sunday

Old 10-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
    jms71050
    (female)

jms71050 HB User

Hi all
    I was a very active fun loving person
    I had a severe stroke 18 months ago and was told my left side was completely paralised. The damage was done to my right hand side of the brain effecting the left hand side It tool several weeks of being in hopital and physiotherapy but eventually I did regain some use, maybe not as good as before but bearable. My speach was completely slurred sounded like I had been drinking for days but now I am able to talk again after speach therapy although my left side of the face is a little crooked. It does take time to come back but hopefully things will get better. I now have the problem that my grown up children do tend to treat me as a child, which has caused severe depression, which I am being treated for. My memory is not too good but I think that is more a consentration issueThe worst thing for me is my family do not understand what it is like living inside my body. I have totally lost my confidence and do stuggle to do certain things but overall I am lucky. Hope your Moms condition improves and you can understand how hard it is after being a normal person to being a shadow of yourself.
    It can take up to 2 years for some effects to come back
    My thoughts are with you and I sincerely hope everything turns out ok just be patient.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MysticBlndMist View Post
    I am wondering what to expect in the days following a stroke. I am new to this and have never seen anyone in the first few days to a week after having a stroke and just wondering what to expect?
    My mom (68) had a stroke on Sunday ( its now Saturday)... her speech is slurred and of course she is tired. The doctor said its a "left sided stroke" and her left hand and leg seem to be affected...She says she has feeling in her left side ( feels pain etc) but is unable to move either. she was suppose to have a swallowing test done but not sure if they have done it yet (were suppose to do it 3 times but didn't)....They have her on a feeding tube and her throat is swollen and has a hematoma on the one tonsil area she's able to talk but very slurred but seems to be able to understand what she is asked and remembers things from before the stroke and after . She answers questions but seems very sleepy. I guess what I am wondering is is this all normal following a few days to a week after a stroke? Does any of it improve on its own over time?.... She is on fluids and also heparin ( not sure if anything else)...she isn't allowed to drink anything and also on oxygen.... she had a heart attack 6 days before the stroke and had a stent put in and was released from the hospital a few days after but then took this stroke a few days after being released from the hospital. I am extremely worried about her and if she will be able to make a good recovery.. its been a very long week and a half and very emotional to say the least... I know every person is different but guess I am looking for someone who has either suffered this or had a loved one go through this who had the same effects only days after the stroke and maybe give me some hope of what to expect. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    hello my friend,
    do not worry so much. The stroke have nothing to do with the physical problems, in my opition. As Clhoe said, sleep is very normal after a stroke. After mine, I slept for 5 days straight. My brain was mending itself. I could not read or write for 2 months after my stroke, but it is working now. I want you to be postive. My doctor said that strokes are a mystery. when brain things start to happen, no body knows, it is more like your own body heals itself. I hope that is your mother will respond to you, I think she will. Just understand if she doesn't understand, and she might say bizzare things, but she knows what you are saying and she understands, I promise you that. It is very scare for all of us. Be patient with her, she may say things you don't unerstand. I hope that helps.
    God Bless,
    tim

Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

The others have answered your questions as I would, so I just want to add my support for you in this difficult time.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
    Larry88
    (male)

Larry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB UserLarry88 HB User

hi MysticBlndMist, just wondering how your mother is doing now? next Tuesday- November second. will mark 18 years for me since my stroke in 1992. I too am left side affected, and I had been left handed. I was in a coma, sleeping peacefully for 9 days following my stroke. I too had swallowing problems, my brain couldn't tell thick from thin, I had to have thickeners added to all my liquids plus drink through a straw for about 6 months. I too was on heparin, no oxygen. the heparin will stop once she is able to move around enough to keep her blood circulating properly? I too remember the feelings of pains( pins and needles on my affected side) my wife had to tell me I'd suffered a massive stroke, I thought I was too young! had just turned 42 have now just turned 60. after about 5 months or so, the feelings began to be normal on my entire affected left side, beginning with 1 finger at a time. I just couldn't move anything on my left side. it took me about a month to believe I'd had a stroke, I'd though I'd broke my neck in my construction/industrial accident. your mom may not be responding to you? but when her doctors come in every day and run Theier Bic pen up her affected foot from heel to toe, I'll bet good money she reacts to that, and not in a friendly way! that hurts she can and will improve but it takes time.

my speech was not slurred? but was very raspy and low. I remember how excited me and my wife were when I was home for the weekend, and I yelled for her from the master bathroom at one end of our house to her in the livingroom at the other end with the TV on and she could hear me. I don't think I've shut up since?

please give us an update on your mom's condition/progress. as we all care here but can only give you our support from each of our own experiences

good luck to you and you mother

Larry/coupe

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
    Yup Yup
    (female)

Yup Yup HB User

My husband at the age of 50 suffered a severe stroke July 2010, on left side of Brain which in turned affected his Right side and speech, came home Sept 10th and yes this has been and still is a scary life experience.... My kids and I have depended on him for EVERYTHING, HE DID EVERYTHING ! I am doing my best to take care of him in his daily living, I give him 6 shots aday 2 of which are Heparin the others are insulin and he has more strength and courage like no other, I can not tell you how much I admire this man, for what this stroke has done to him, he has no pity. It's a tough battle but My husband is giving it a fight ! And I just want to say to all that it gives me so much more hope inside to hear of your recovery stories and how you have progressed <3 please keep on sharing !

Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
    janet824
    (female)

janet824 HB User

I had a bleed in my brain stem a little over 6 years ago. I have had a lot of experiences and have met some people that have helped me along the way. I spent 4 months in a Chinese hospital. I didn't gain much health wise but I met some people that helped me a lot and I did learn something from the Chinese that I didn't feel was as appreciated in the U.S. That was how IMPORTANT rest or sleep was. The brain has gone through a horrific trauma and needs a lot of rest. It took me a very long time and I still have days when I am really tired. I work out a lot but it is so much harder to do the same things I did before. It takes so much energy. Let your mom sleep as much as she needs. There's a lot of healing that has to go on. I wish I could have rested MORE when this happened to me.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
    Angelray
    (female)

Angelray HB User

hi, I am 52 and I had a piece of plaque go thru on left side of my brain, inturn it effected my whole right side from head to toe. This happened middle of august , the numbness and tingling is driving me crazy. I so hope It goes away!!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Hello friend,

No need to feel alone, you have found a wonderful place to find support and hear lots of stories of survival and recovery.

This is a scary time for the family, but I hope I can assure you that much of this time will be forgotten or remembered in bits and pieces. Issues like the feeding tube and other unpleasant procedures that you have to watch your mother go through will be forgotten, so hopefully keeping that in mind will make this easier on you. The sleep protects us from remembering, another way the brain is protecting her. What is memorable in clear detail for me was sensing my family with me. The rest was a blur of nurses, clattering, and bright lights that annoyed me. I clearly remember LOVING the sleep, it was like a dream with a distinct floating feeling for me. It was wonderful, with my children there, my parents, it was not scary for the first weeks for me.

Recovery is a long term process, so please remember to pace yourself and to take care of yourself.

Everything you describe is typical of stroke survivors. I am sure the battle with the pneumonia will be a priority right now. We are here for you, and stand behind you as your mother fights her way through this.

You are not alone, be brave and get ready for a new lifestyle that can wonderful. I have heard many of us here say that we would not go back, after stroke. We get to learn some very precious information about life that seems deeper and more meaningful than before.

You might notice how close we are here, and that is because life after stroke creates a special bond with other stroke survivors. The act of thinking and writing is also an excellent therapy following stroke as well. I re-learned to write here, three years ago.

Hopefully knowing that can change your perception that stroke must ruin one's life...not true at all.

We are anxious to hear updates on your mother. We are behind you.
    Janet

Last edited by writeleft; 11-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
    sjb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

My relative had a stroke 8 years ago. At first she was completely unconscious and unable to move anything and lost all speech. An MRI detected the stroke but the interpreter of the scan missed it the first time around and only found it on the insistence of a relative. She was placed in a nursing home and eventually regained consciousness but not speech at first and had difficulty swallowing. Eventually after being trained by a speech therapist she regained all ability to talk. She also regained ability to move. Her only residual now is a bit of difficulty swalling with meals sometimes and coughs at meals. She does have high blood pressure and takes medicine for it.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #15
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User

Hello

How are you and your mom doing? I'm a 54 year old stroke survivor. I'm one of the lucky ones who had a small stroke, but I now have a depth of understanding that I never dreamed I wold have. Please accept my support from the bottom of my heart.
    I hope that things are moving forward and that you're mom is gaining strength and function.
    Please keep us posted.
    Peggy

Last edited by Administrator; 04-16-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Closed Thread