It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Tapering off aspirin before surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
    maxa million
    (male)

maxa million HB User
    Tapering off aspirin before surgery?

I've been advised to discontinue my daily aspirin (325mg, Enteric) before a biopsy coming up on the prostate. I had a hydroseal operation about 9 months ago. I discontinuing the aspirin for about 2 weeks before & the evening of the operation I had a TIA. This was my 1st & I didn't even know what it was until I mentioned it on a chronic ear appointment. It occurs to me that tapering off the aspirin rather than an abrupt stop might work better but I can't find any medical advise to support this. Does anyone know whether tapering off is recommended? Thanks geewee.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
    Re: Tapering off aspirin before surgery?

Unlike with many other drugs (mood altering drugs, prednisone etc), there's no point in tapering off aspirin.

You really need to stop taking it when told to before surgery. Stopping it temporarily won't really make a difference to your health, but NOT stopping it can cause serious bleeding trouble.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
    maxa million
    (male)

maxa million HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chloe1252 View Post
    Unlike with many other drugs (mood altering drugs, prednisone etc), there's no point in tapering off aspirin.

You really need to stop taking it when told to before surgery. Stopping it temporarily won't really make a difference to your health, but NOT stopping it can cause serious bleeding trouble.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
    kmarla
    (female)

kmarla HB Userkmarla HB User

Hi,
    I had a heart procedure to close a hole in my heart three weeks ago and will be having a biopsy on my thyroid in a week and a bit. I have to stop taking my Plavix and aspirin one week before the biopsy. I was nervous about the whole idea, but my cardiologist told me it would be fine, and just to start up again as soon as the biopsy is done. Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to kmarla For This Useful Post:
    maxa million (11-15-2010)
    Closed Thread