It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Mini Stroke?? Only 34 years old..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
    celeste76
    (female)

celeste76 HB User
    Mini Stroke?? Only 34 years old..

I am a 34 year old woman with normal blood pressure etc. About a week before I had this experience I was having a sudden throbbing headache on the right side of my head. Ibuprofen relieved it. A few days later I went to get my second Lucentis injection as I have Ocular Histoplasmosis which is when a new abnormal vein begins to grow behind the eye. Mine had hemmoraged causing a blind/dark spot in my peripheral vision. My eye is better now, blood dried up. So 5 days after my injection Im sitting at the computer editing pictures and eating dinner. I stood up because my heart started racing out of nowhere. I also started getting lightheaded and my throat felt numb and like it was swelling, but that only lasted about 30 seconds. I was very short of breath as well. I called 911 and my BP was 152/109 which is extremely high for me. While the paramedics were talking to me all of a sudden my speech began sounding unclear, like I was babbling like a baby or something. My mouth wouldnt form the words out properly BUT THE CORRECT WORDS i WAS TRYING TO SAY WERE COMING OUT RIGHT. Both of my legs felt heavy (I think) because i had been laying in a stretcher but I do know that both of my arms felt weak because when I had to sign some papers I could barely move them. The ER doctor did a CT scan blood work and ekg and told me everything looked fine and for me to see a neurologist. She also told me to start taking 325 milligrams of asprin each day and that she didnt think it was a stroke because I didnt have ONE SIDED weakness or heaviness... This episode lasted about and hour but it would happen in "waves" if that makes any sense. After the first major episode while the EMT was here then I was fine but it would hit me again once more. Was this a TIA or migraine? I am so confused and wished I had answers.

Last edited by celeste76; 01-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User
    Re: Mini Stroke?? Only 34 years old..

Hi there and welcome!

The inability to speak coherently does sound like a stroke, but the rest of it really doesn't as mild strokes cause numbness on one side of the body only.

I wonder if the headache could be related to the injection you had? Are you under any unusual stress other than the eye problems? Some of your symptoms even sound like they could be anxiety related. Anxiety attacks can be so bad you feel like you're dying sometimes!

At any rate, speaking with a neurologist is a good idea. Write down all your symptoms, questions and prescriptions to make sure you don't leave anything out and hopefully get to the bottom of this! Being able to put a name to something instantly makes it less frightening.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi celeste76,
    I am sorry about your problems. To me some of the things you wrote can sound like symptoms that seem possibly stroke, but your writing seems too good to seem like you had a major stroke. Since you have eye problems it could be effects that seem like stroke. I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the medical words you wrote. My first reaction is your writing does not sound like you had a stroke just a week ago. It is very possible that you have had "mini" strokes.
    These can happen quickly and then you are back to normal. I obviously am not a doctor, but monitor these things. Aspirin is good since my stroke and I would say keep taking it.

I will say that I had the seeing peripheral problem (I called it half blind) and also a kaleidescope halo in my right eye years before my major stroke. I am happy your are asking questions before it may happen. It may not be a stroke at all, and I hope not, but I am just giving you my experiences. If you need any more questions, please ask, and don't be worried. Everything will be ok!

God Bless,
    Tim

Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
    celeste76
    (female)

celeste76 HB User

Thanks to the both of you, I am finally able to get into my doctor this afternoon and see what he says. I have to tell you the only thing keeping me from being paralyzed by fear of it happening is my faith in God.
    Ive sone some research and it almost seems like a really really bad anxiety attack, but better to be safe than just ignore it.

I will update after my visit and see what he says.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Yes, the light headedness, heart palpitations and shortness of breath are what made me think of an anxiety attack, especially in someone young like you. Maybe the eye situation stressed you more than you realized.

But always better safe than sorry, as you say!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
    celeste76
    (female)

celeste76 HB User

Ok well he definitely is sending me to a neurologist. He says he doesnt believe it was a TIA due to it not being one sided weakness. He says it sounds like a vascular spasm migraine??? Because of the one sided headaches I was having the week before.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Celeste,
    Thank you for the update. Please keep in touch so we know what is going on with you
    I wish you well.
    Tim

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
    momoftrio
    (female)

momoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB Usermomoftrio HB User

Hi Celeste !

Just wanted to share with you that I have a very similar experience as you . I have had maybe 4 migraines my entire life but the symptoms you describe with the speech is EXACTLY what happens to me when I get mine ! My doctor verified that I indeed have migraines and apparently though rare , speech can be affected like mine was !

The Following User Says Thank You to momoftrio For This Useful Post:
    Chloe1252 (02-02-2011)
    Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
    Martinimamma
    (female)

Martinimamma HB User

I have had the excactly the same thing you described to a tee! The feeling of having a hat in and feeling for it.... it is very scary. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder but I think it is a mini stroke. It does come in waves, I totally know what your talking about. What does your doctor say about it? I just want it to stop! What helps you?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
    gnatt
    (male)

gnatt HB Usergnatt HB Usergnatt HB User

Hi Celeste76, It sounds like symptoms of a stroke. When I had my stroke last March My tongue, left side of my face & left arm were numb and my vision was really blured in my left eye. I also had a severly painful headheache. For several years leading up to my stroke, I would get migraines which useally affected my left eye and would take asprin. When I had my stroke the hospital did an MRI to confirm and also conducted and Echocardiogram to see if my heart had a hole in it. Did the hospital you went to do an MRI and an echocardiogram or bubble study to see if you have a hole in your heart. You seem young and healthy. I had my stroke at 45 and have been fit my whole life with low chlorestol. I later had a PFO closure last April and for the most part feel very fortunate to have resumed most of my previous activities, although goirng through a stroke makes one revaluate everything in your life. which continues each day. The bubble study is a few hundred dollars and may be worth looking in to if you have not had your heart checked out. The theory is if one has a whole in the heart the possibility exist to a clot to go directly to your brain rather than first getting filtered through your lungs. A case of plumbing not working right with the heart. Hope you continue to heal.
    God Bless, Gnatt

Closed Thread