It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• left leg fatigue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
    rhoge
    (male)

rhoge HB User
    left leg fatigue

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I got out of the hospital a couple of weeks ago after suffering a small stroke.

Ever since I got home I can only walk very short distances and can only stand for about a minute and have to sit down because of weakness in my left leg muscles.

My doctor says it's claudication unrelated to the stroke and has scheduled me to see a neurologist next month.

I have never had any leg weakness until the stroke and find it hard to believe that it isn't some how related.

Any one have any thoughts.

Thanks,

Rick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User
    Re: left leg fatigue

Hello Rick, and welcome to our family of stroke survivors.

We understand what you are going through, and as you meet the others here, you will get lots of support, especially for that notion of your doctors saying your leg fatigue is unrelated to your recent stroke. As a group, we all have so many issues that we have brought to our doctors as stroke related problems, only to be told that they certainly are not.

Stroke is still such a mystery, and they leave damage in their wake, to all sorts of brain activities, that result in physical issues.

Tell us about your stroke if you will, and we will be better able to help you with your questions. We have a wonderful group of survivors here, from the very new, to the very old, who all have a beautiful take on how stroke has affected their lives, and in many cases, made it better.

I just happened to see your post first, but I urge you to stick with us for a few days, so that those who have actually had the leg fatigue as you describe it can come along to help with your exact question. This particular symptom is not one I can speak to.

We welcome you to our little family.

Janet

Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
    Chloe1252
    Inactive
    (female)

Chloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB UserChloe1252 HB User

Hi there and welcome!

I would guess that the two things could be related in the way that having a stroke, with the resulting numbness and any degree of paralysis, could heighten a problem you already had (but was not bothering you) like a blocked artery.

Sometimes having one thing, like a mild stroke, can be a mixed blessing as it may bring out something you didn't even know you had and can now take steps to keep it from getting worse.

Yes, please stick around and tell us about your stroke and how you're doing aside from the leg!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
    rhoge
    (male)

rhoge HB User

Thanks everyone for your concern.

It seems my problem pales in comparison to others.

Well it started on Sunday Feb. 13. I woke up at 3am to use the bathroom. Went back to bed and woke again at 6:30am to find I couldn’t walk using my left leg.

I grabbed my walker, had it from something not related 3 years ago, and barely made it to my living room chair.

I sat for awhile pondering what to do. Finally called emsa about 40 min. later. While they had me on the phone I crawled over to unlock the front door (I live alone).

Once they arrived they came in through the front door but had to take me out through the garage door as there was too much snow and ice outside the front door.

After about 20 min. taking notes, etc. they transported me to the ER. It wasn’t long before the doctors were running tests and diagnosed a transient ischetemic stroke.

After about 3 or 4 hours they transported me to ICU and then later to a room where for the next 24 hours they ran every test possible.

In the meantime about 12 hours later I was able to get up and walk with the help of a walker for short distances.

Bottom line… the next day they discharged me after finding no major problems.

It was only after I got home that I discovered the leg weakness that persists today.

As I said earlier I won’t know anything until I see the neurologist.

Thanks, Rick

(PS) Non related: In Nov. ’07 I ended up in the hospital as a result of severe potassium deficiency which caused me to collapse in a parking lot next to my car. It was then that they discovered that sometime in the past I had suffered a minor stroke unknown to me or my doctor.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Rick,

There is no stroke that "pales in comparison" to any others...They are all traumatic events in our lives that require recovery, be it for months or years.

Do you already have that appointment to the neurologist?

Are you taking any medications since the stroke? With a history that includes an earlier stroke, this is something you will have to keep close tabs on.

Do you have the support you need for now, as you mentioned living alone? We are always here to offer you any support we can, having all been through it. Are you able to get around walking, or driving? Is work a concern? Whatever you feel comfortable in sharing will make is easier to show our support and help in any way we can.
    Janet

Closed Thread