It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• emotional roll a coaster after stroke.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
    Re: emotional roll a coaster after stroke.

Hi Max and welcome,
    I write a lot here and talk about the crying aspect of a stroke. but you just made me remember a laughing aspect that I forgot.

I was just a few days from the hospital and our cat died that we had for 10 or more years. Well, he didn't die, but we had to take him to the vet to put him down. Well, during driving to the vet (i wasn't driving obviously) I started laughing. My wife was so mad that I was laughing about it. I loved that cat and I we were both hurting about it, but I started laughing and couldn't stop. I felt awful about it, but could not stop laughing. when we got to the vet she told me to stay in the car so I wouldn't embarrass her. and I don't blame her.

It was very awkward the whole affair and I felt horrible to my wife and Pepper (our cat) that we had to let go.

It is just another "stroke" thing that no one could understand unless it happens to you. I wish you the best.
    God Bless,
    tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 05-02-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
    max55
    (male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

Goingtorun/Positive Cynic-

thanks. It was just a couple of times and within the 1st week out of hospital. Took almost all of my energy to try to stop within a semi reasonable amount of time. Laughed so hard that I wanted to cry. Very odd

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
    ennbee
    (female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Glad I missed out on the inappropriate laughing stage. Being close to tears with rain on the windows is enough!
    With every good wish to us all as we recover (whatever that means)
    Nancy

Old 06-05-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

I think the key word here is "uncontrollably" whether it is laughing, crying or whatever else we find ourselves doing without our control.

I have read somewhere that being "out of control" is one of our human states which we fear and avoid at all costs. The brain obviously looses our ability to control our emotions when damaged by stroke.

I have experienced the crying, which eventually has made me laugh, both uncontrollably! What a weird experience. The good news is that sharing these things makes all of us feel a bit more at ease with these events.

Once the shock wears off, I have noticed the deepened state of all of my emotions, which I feel enriches my life. While I will never be able to hold a poker face, I can deeply empathize with others which I feel is a quality that is greater than the ability to hide my feelings.

What I find the most unattractive is those that are emotionally closed, whether as a sign of defense, or a lack of care for others. Apathy being the worst of all. It may be easier that way, but who said the easy way leads anywhere?

I find myself laughing at many many things, because this can be a very funny world we live in...if you want it to be.

Love janet

Closed Thread