It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• 23 and stroke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
    thehof13b
    (male)

thehof13b HB User
    23 and stroke

I am 23 and on October 27th 2012 I had a TIA. I was with my friend and all of the sudden I started feeling really hot and like I needed to go outside. When I tried to walk out of the house I found that I had absolutely no control or feeling in the left side of my body. I am a veteran of Iraq and while I was over there I was engaged by a roadside bomb. Just after a year being home I was doing physical training with the Army and felt a pop in my head. It was some of the most incredible pain I have ever felt. My vision blurred and I lost all peripheral vision. I had a horrible headache the rest of the day and then the next day when I was home the headache was gone however I had a lot of pressure in my head. I decided because of the possibility of Traumatic brain injury from Iraq I went to the doctor and he ordered me an MRI. When the first results came back it was reports of white spots on my brain. It was that weekend before the more advanced MRI that I had my TIA. I had no idea what had happened and went about life as normal. The more advanced MRI showed a benign cyst on my brain a narrowing of my right carotid artery and dead spots on my brain. I went in for a neurosurgeon consult and explain the symptoms from that Saturday night and that is when they informed me of my TIA and ordered an emergency angiogram. It showed that I had dissected my right interior carotid artery. So for the last three months I have been on blood thinners and no strenuous physical activity. March 5th is my next angiogram to see what’s going on wish me luck! When I saw my doctor shortly after my angiogram he told me he almost never schedules MRIs for headaches but we are both really glad he did.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: thehof13b
    Alberta1967 (02-17-2013),goingtorun (02-17-2013),survival sue (02-17-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to thehof13b For This Useful Post:
    cactus al (02-17-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
    cactus al
    (male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User
    Re: 23 and stroke

Salem on behalf of we veterans of all conflicts and wars. Welcome home and thank you brother for your dedicated service. I am a in country Vietnam vet river rat from (6/67 to/69".
    I am happy you are being treated for your MRI, I am a stroke recovery victim. Almost six months out. If you survived that hell over there its a walk in the park..there many people on this board who survived the initial stroke and have made outstanding progress so my fellow in arms keep that posititive attitude , you have a life to live and just remember a old salty dog sailor told you so.

My best to you and welcome to health boards

Your friend. Allen. Aka cactus al

I

Closed Thread

Tags
    carotid artery dissection, stroke recovery