It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Hallucinations and Stoke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
    lisaeh14
    (female)

lisaeh14 HB Userlisaeh14 HB User
    Hallucinations and Stoke

I have been noticing auditory hallucinations since my stroke. No much, about 3 or 4 times I think. It is scary and I don't want to tell anyone. I hear things and assume it is one of my pets or kids, but when I look around they are all accounted for and neither the kids or pets indicate they heard a noise too. I've heard knocking on the door, cars pulling into the drive and whistling.
    Is this normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
    Positive Cynic
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
    Re: Hallucinations and Stoke

Hi Lisa,
    I can say that you hearing noises is normal, especially in the first few months after a stroke. The first time I went to a neurologist after my stroke I told him I heard noises. When I was alone, I kept walking into the kids rooms because I thought a TV was left on. I would walk all around the house making sure that a tv or radio was not left on. The doctor told me that many of his patients hear odd noises. Some heard music, others would here people talking. It is all part of our brains trying to re-wire itself. The good news is that my phantom hearing finally went away, however, once in awhile I can hear things that aren't there. Usually someone talking outside that isn't there. I have at least found comfortable with myself when I look around I know that I am not crazy

There are so many new things we have to adjust after a stroke. I am happy you found this forum. I can say that this place was a big part of my recovery. So please come back often. You are with good people here.

God Bless,
    Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
    lisaeh14 (03-20-2013)
    Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
    survival sue
    (female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User
    Re: Hallucinations and Stoke

Hi Lisa,
    I have so many sounds going on in my head that it keeps me awake. There is the ear ringing that is constant 24/7. Then if it's too quiet it sounds like a tv is on in another room, usually a low mumbling sound like Walter Cronkite doing the news. I also have noticed that I have difficulty being able to tell what direction sounds are coming from.

Loud noises and crowds also bother me. Add to all this my constant vertigo and it's a real party. LOL

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. Just understanding.

And so we keep on going,
    Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to survival sue For This Useful Post:
    lisaeh14 (03-22-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    hallucinations, stroke recovery