It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Carotid endarterectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
    Kgrooney
    (female)

Kgrooney HB User
    Carotid endarterectomy

Had a carotid endarterectomy on Aug 27 ~ 7 wks ago ~ quit smoking at the same time. Left side of neck where the surgery took place is still numb. Swallowing can be difficult at times ~ dr said it was from anesthesia tube and will eventually go away. Started taking lipitor and plavix. Some muscle soreness and feeling like I am living in the third person. I am only 59 ~ will this get any better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
    goingtorun
    Veteran
    (male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
    Re: Carotid endarterectomy

G’day Kgrooney,
    Well to our family of stroke survivors, I’m not familiar with carotid endarterectomy, I know that time is a great healer. Quiting the smokes can only be good for you.
    God bless.
    George........

Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
    survival sue
    (female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User
    Re: Carotid endarterectomy

Hi there and welcome. I too had a left sided carotid endarterectomy on 12/3/12 due to a 100% blockage that had caused a stroke 5 days earlier. I too am young, only 55when all this happened and really felt like the rug was pulled out from underneath me.

I have had different surgeries over the years, one being a cervical disc replacement and bone fusion. I have also given birth twice and I will tell you nothing compared to the pain and discomfort from the carotid surgery. Post surgery I had a tremendous amount of pain and swelling and yes my throat hurt. I also had a great deal of numbness under my chin and down my neck.

It's now been ten months and I still have a good deal of numbness which my surgeon said to expect due to the number of tiny nerves that can be damaged during surgery. My incision is very tight, but no where near as bad as it was. I'm sure you are still quite sensitive, but once the pain subsides you might want to try massaging the scar with vitamin E oil. This was recommended to me by my Speech Therapist and it did help quite a bit.. I also think the swallowing (which I also was bothered by) is from swelling and weird nerve sensations. That went away completely

I still feel like I am living with someone else's brain but that is stroke related. I did however react strongly to the anesthesia from the surgery and I've been told that it can stay in your system for months. Since you mentioned you are taking Lipitor and Plavix I assume that you have high cholesterol. That's what got me. I have familial hypercholestemia (sp) so this blind sided me. I have been on a very high dose of Lipitor and my cholesterol is now almost normal.

Now I just got to get my brain to work better! Good luck, rest up, and give yourself time to heal.

Sue

Closed Thread

Tags
    carotid surgery, lipitor, plavix