It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Swallowing in stroke survivor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
    abknox
    (female)

abknox HB User
    Swallowing in stroke survivor

my father suffered a stroke almost 2 months ago and his left side of the body has no sense. He remembers everything and been physiotherapy everyday. he is 67. He is not able to swallow food but can chew. When they feed him orally , he coughs and everything comes back. Docs are doing the barium test to find out the problem. I was wondering how long would it take to get the swallowing functions back and the exercises to improve those muscles. He has lost weight and food is through the nose tube.

Please do let me know..

The following user gives a hug of support to abknox:
    Larry88 (11-28-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
    Sandy Caregiver
    (female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User
    Re: Swallowing in stroke survivor

If you search using the words: swallowing exercises for stroke patients you will get lots of links to browse thru.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Caregiver For This Useful Post:
    abknox (11-08-2013)
    Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
    teleamp
    (male)

teleamp HB Userteleamp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abknox View Post
    my father suffered a stroke almost 2 months ago and his left side of the body has no sense. He remembers everything and been physiotherapy everyday. he is 67. He is not able to swallow food but can chew. When they feed him orally , he coughs and everything comes back. Docs are doing the barium test to find out the problem. I was wondering how long would it take to get the swallowing functions back and the exercises to improve those muscles. He has lost weight and food is through the nose tube.

Please do let me know..
    I could not swallow for months, it took the help of a speech therapist and some treatments with muscle shock therapy plus, I never gave up and kept trying to swallow on my on. Pineapple nectar and yogurt were my start.

It has been almost 7 months since my stroke and I can swallow most foods, some still give me trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to teleamp For This Useful Post:
    abknox (11-08-2013)
    Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
    abknox
    (female)

abknox HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
    I could not swallow for months, it took the help of a speech therapist and some treatments with muscle shock therapy plus, I never gave up and kept trying to swallow on my on. Pineapple nectar and yogurt were my start.

It has been almost 7 months since my stroke and I can swallow most foods, some still give me trouble.
    Thank you very much for your reply. It is really helpful. Glad to know your swallowing functions are returning to normal slowly.

My dad has a tracheo tube and a feeding tube through the nose as he is unable to swallow. Docs say his nerves have become very weak so they are not pushing the food down. They want to wait for 2 weeks and then insert a PEG tube. It is really difficult to see him going through all this pain. He has become weak and has to do physio regularly. He is tired most of the time. Do you recommend any protein drinks like breakfast essentials etc.. He is on blood thinners medicine so vitamin K is not allowed in his diet.

Thank you so much..

Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
    Sandy Caregiver
    (female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

I used to buy Ensure Plus which has more in it for those who are actually not eating reg food, BUT, discovered that Walmart has their own brand Equate Plus, which is the same kinda thing, but quite a bit cheaper.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
    teleamp
    (male)

teleamp HB Userteleamp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abknox View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply. It is really helpful. Glad to know your swallowing functions are returning to normal slowly.

My dad has a tracheo tube and a feeding tube through the nose as he is unable to swallow. Docs say his nerves have become very weak so they are not pushing the food down. They want to wait for 2 weeks and then insert a PEG tube. It is really difficult to see him going through all this pain. He has become weak and has to do physio regularly. He is tired most of the time. Do you recommend any protein drinks like breakfast essentials etc.. He is on blood thinners medicine so vitamin K is not allowed in his diet.

Thank you so much..
    If he is NPO, make certain that he is being properly hydrated, I almost had kidney failure twicw while I relied on the PEG tube for nutrition and hydration... (signs to look for are his request for water, dry/peeling lips, thick mucas in mouth...

Once he has a PEG tube make sure the nurses show you (and leave one with you) how to use a piston syringe.

Closed Thread

Tags
    swallowing difficulty