It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Major Ischemic Left Temporal Lobe Stroke with a massive Hemorrhage into the stroke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
    GABeth
    (female)

GABeth HB User
    Major Ischemic Left Temporal Lobe Stroke with a massive Hemorrhage into the stroke

I'm trying to get some help with the grieving process of my mom passing suddenly from a stroke and brain bled. My mother passed last week from a major left temporal stroke, in which she then "had a massive bled into the stroke". She was 76, but was in great health. Had fruit smoothies each morning with flax seed, took Omega supplements, exercised 3-4 days a week for 45 mins on the treadmill plus did floor exercises. Ate very healthy... all because she had a strong family history of Alzheimers and wanted to do everything to avoid that fate.

To say we were shocked and floored this happened is an understatement. She had a major ischemic stroke of the left temporal region which we can only think was due to a clot, then had a massive bleed into the stroke. She woke up, turned off the alarm, let the dog out of the garage, and by the time she made it back to the bathroom, she'd thrown up in the sink and turned to go to the powder room as best we can piece together. She fell and hit her right eye on the tile floor, probably was knocked out for a few minutes and crawled 10 feet to get to my dad who found her unresponsive on the floor within 10 minutes of the event.

Our family, her doctors and friends are all floored by this as she really did take very good care of herself. The only thing going on with her medically over the past 5 months was she was getting horrible migraines and had started to get vertigo and ringing in the ears. She'd been worked up by her GP, and internist, and ENT and had just seen a neurologist the week before her passing. Her MRI, MRA, EEG and blood work were clear from inflammation. She'd had an EKG almost a year ago, as well as carotid artery screening. NOTHING showed this as a possibility.

As to the "why" - I've only come to 2 conclusions. She either was having Arterial Fibrillation and didn't know it (and that was contributing to her migraines and vertigo) and threw a large clot causing the stroke, or she had been on Premarin for 30 years following a hysterectomy and had recently added Topomax for the migraines in the last 2 months and there was a drug interaction that caused clots. The only other medicine she took was syn-thyroid. I've read that Premarin is a drug with increased risk of strokes in trials by the NIH.

While we had to make the decision to take her off the vent the next day, we were fortunate she'd left a living will and we'd had many discussions regarding her desires in a situation like this. The initial CT Scan was taken in under 2 hours from the event, and it showed a major stroke in the left temporal region, and a bled into the stroke that was already 75-100 (units measured in) volume, the bled had already shifted her midline of her brain significantly, and was pushing on her brain stem. They truly said she was not a candidate for surgery due to the major damage. They also discussed things like her not only being able to speak but to have lost the ability to understand speech which is oh so difficult.

I read CSI007's story that is the closest thing I can find to my mom's situation, and it broke my heart to read the story. The difference being my mom never regained consciousness after the event, and God spared us the 75 days it seems he went through that were truly gut wrenching.

Just wanted to put her story out there and see if there are any others who have had similar type experiences with a loved one or just words of advice. While as gut wrenching as it has been for us, we truly know God blessed us with the ease of her passing. Mom founded an Alzheimer's support group in our area when her father was dealing with it and little was known about the disease. Hoping that reaching out and connecting to others who have been there, done this and are more knowledgeable about things like strokes will help me understand and process things. Thank you.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: GABeth
    goingtorun (04-15-2014),shug767 (04-14-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
    goingtorun
    Veteran
    (male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
    Re: Major Ischemic Left Temporal Lobe Stroke with a massive Hemorrhage into the strok

GABeth,
    I'm truly sorry for you on the pasting of your mother.
    God bless her.
    George....

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
    GABeth (04-20-2014)
    Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
    MissingDadinWV
    (female)

MissingDadinWV HB User
    Re: Major Ischemic Left Temporal Lobe Stroke with a massive Hemorrhage into the strok

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GABeth View Post
    I'm trying to get some help with the grieving process of my mom passing suddenly from a stroke and brain bled. My mother passed last week from a major left temporal stroke, in which she then "had a massive bled into the stroke". She was 76, but was in great health. Had fruit smoothies each morning with flax seed, took Omega supplements, exercised 3-4 days a week for 45 mins on the treadmill plus did floor exercises. Ate very healthy... all because she had a strong family history of Alzheimers and wanted to do everything to avoid that fate.

To say we were shocked and floored this happened is an understatement. She had a major ischemic stroke of the left temporal region which we can only think was due to a clot, then had a massive bleed into the stroke. She woke up, turned off the alarm, let the dog out of the garage, and by the time she made it back to the bathroom, she'd thrown up in the sink and turned to go to the powder room as best we can piece together. She fell and hit her right eye on the tile floor, probably was knocked out for a few minutes and crawled 10 feet to get to my dad who found her unresponsive on the floor within 10 minutes of the event.

Our family, her doctors and friends are all floored by this as she really did take very good care of herself. The only thing going on with her medically over the past 5 months was she was getting horrible migraines and had started to get vertigo and ringing in the ears. She'd been worked up by her GP, and internist, and ENT and had just seen a neurologist the week before her passing. Her MRI, MRA, EEG and blood work were clear from inflammation. She'd had an EKG almost a year ago, as well as carotid artery screening. NOTHING showed this as a possibility.

As to the "why" - I've only come to 2 conclusions. She either was having Arterial Fibrillation and didn't know it (and that was contributing to her migraines and vertigo) and threw a large clot causing the stroke, or she had been on Premarin for 30 years following a hysterectomy and had recently added Topomax for the migraines in the last 2 months and there was a drug interaction that caused clots. The only other medicine she took was syn-thyroid. I've read that Premarin is a drug with increased risk of strokes in trials by the NIH.

While we had to make the decision to take her off the vent the next day, we were fortunate she'd left a living will and we'd had many discussions regarding her desires in a situation like this. The initial CT Scan was taken in under 2 hours from the event, and it showed a major stroke in the left temporal region, and a bled into the stroke that was already 75-100 (units measured in) volume, the bled had already shifted her midline of her brain significantly, and was pushing on her brain stem. They truly said she was not a candidate for surgery due to the major damage. They also discussed things like her not only being able to speak but to have lost the ability to understand speech which is oh so difficult.

I read CSI007's story that is the closest thing I can find to my mom's situation, and it broke my heart to read the story. The difference being my mom never regained consciousness after the event, and God spared us the 75 days it seems he went through that were truly gut wrenching.

Just wanted to put her story out there and see if there are any others who have had similar type experiences with a loved one or just words of advice. While as gut wrenching as it has been for us, we truly know God blessed us with the ease of her passing. Mom founded an Alzheimer's support group in our area when her father was dealing with it and little was known about the disease. Hoping that reaching out and connecting to others who have been there, done this and are more knowledgeable about things like strokes will help me understand and process things. Thank you.
    Beth,
    Like you, I'm just looking for others who have experienced losing someone to a stroke.
    My dad passed away Monday, April 28 from a brain bleed. My dad was 79, but like your mom he wasn't your typical 79 year old. In fact, he was golfing on his last day that he was aware he was in this world, Sunday April 27. My dad was very active but he had health problems that we thought were under control. One year ago, he had open heart surgery. He was back to his almost normal life when he had a TIA April 10th. He spent one night in the hospital and was sent home to follow up with his regular physician. His appt. was in May. Since April 10, he was doing his usual, cutting his grass, picking up brush from my yard for me, visiting his McDonalds coffee crew, and the last day I seen him was April 21 when he came by my house. I left April 23 for the beach. I didn't talk to him while at the beach until Sunday, when he got sick. I called him from the hotel, and he said he was golfing and he sounded great. I told him I love you and he said the same. Several hours later, we were headed back home from vacation, and his girlfriend *age 57* lol, been together 9 years, called me. She found him in the bathroom, throwing up. He couldn't get up even with her help. He knew his name, but she said his speech was slurring. Once she called 911, he was losing consciousness. When they arrived they had a very hard time moving him as he was not alert or able to move. When he arrived in the ER, they had to intubate him. My daughter and his gf was at his side when the ER physician told them the result of the CT showed a massive brain bleed and midline shift. His bleed was 3 or more cm. My daughter said at this time he would respond to pain in his feet, but pupils didn't respond to light. All this time I am driving from 8 hours away. Losing my mind, but knowing I would probably never talk to him again. The neurosurgeon called me as we are on our way home, and he told me surgery could save his life, but he didn't feel comfortable doing surgery. He said the outcome wasn't good. He would never be able to care for himself, feeding tube, and tracheostomy , complications like pneumonia, bed sores, etc. I told him to let me get there and no decision yet, but I asked him if he was your father would you operate? And he said no, I would not. This is a well known reputable neurosurgeon in our town. My dad went to ICU, and when I seen him he was on vent, but hadn't had sedation in some time, but wouldn't respond to stimuli except in his feet. Pupils didn't respond. Upper extremities no response. She showed me the CT and the bleed with the midline shift and tried to explain the severity. She wouldn't tell me what I should do but she said the decisions made so far she would agree with. Which were to keep him comfortable, and not do surgery. My dad would never want to live in a nursing home, with feed tubes, and teach. My brothers and I made the decision to take him off the vent and let him pass in peace. We buried him yesterday, and now I am on the internet trying to convince myself that his bleed was bad enough and that we made the right decision. Your story is as close to mine as I have found and I guess I just needed to put my story out there and hopefully we can help each other understand the thoughts and feelings we have right now. Please contact me if you would like someone who understands how you are feeling.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: MissingDadinWV
    GABeth (05-04-2014),goingtorun (05-04-2014),Iwamura (05-28-2014),shug767 (06-04-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to MissingDadinWV For This Useful Post:
    GABeth (05-04-2014)
    Old 05-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
    goingtorun
    Veteran
    (male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

MissingDadinWV,
    please except my deepest sympathies on the pasting of your dad.
    we lost dad in 2006 and mum just last year. they had suffer for a long time and need constant care 24/7. we believe that they are both resting in peace and pain free.
    both parents did not want to live on a machine for the rest of their lives.
    i know that their wishes have been respected.
    God bless you and all your loved ones.
    George.....

MissingDadinWV (05-04-2014)
    Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
    MissingDadinWV
    (female)

MissingDadinWV HB User

Thank you, Going to Run

Old 05-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
    GABeth
    (female)

GABeth HB User

MissingDadinWV,

I'm so very sorry for your loss and truly understand how difficult these days and weeks are when you try to process something that just doesn't seem real. According to the neurosurgeon, the 2 neurologists, the internist and the nurses we saw, that large of a bleed on the left side of the brain is just a really bad scenario. In fact, the palliative care doctor said she'd reviewed everything and found the bleed to be "quite impressive", meaning, there was no coming back from it.

I hold out hope that there are others who have experienced this with a positive outcome, but from all my research a large bleed in that area causes massive long term damage.

When we looked at Mom's CT, the "worst" slide showed over half of the left side of her brain filled with blood... her left ventricle completely filled, midline shift over 5mm, and a shift in her brain stem.

I'm still in shock over what has happened and trying to help my father cope as best he can as they'd been married 53 years.

Even though I know in my heart there was nothing we could have done, it still breaks my heart that there are no clear cut answers to the "why" of this, given how very healthy she was. Keeping your family in our prayers and hope that in some way reaching out helped you.

Last edited by GABeth; 05-26-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 AM   #7
    goingtorun
    Veteran
    (male)

GABeth, MissingDadinWV
    I sympathize with you and your family, the passing of a loved one has to be the hardest experience I have ever had to live.
    We have travelled the road you are on. We never had any clear cut answers, the more doctors we consulted the more the whole situation became confused.
    Then came the " what ifs" and "if only", but deep down in our hearts we all knew, we could not have done any more than we had done. I truly believe our parents would have approved of our decisions. People heal in different ways, some take longer than others, you have to for the ones around.
    God you and all your loved ones.
    George.

GABeth (05-27-2014)
    Closed Thread