It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Therapy & recovery for hemorrhagic stroke

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
    mixberry
    (female)

mixberry HB User
    Therapy & recovery for hemorrhagic stroke

Hi everyone. My late sixties mom had a hemorrhagic stroke last March this year due to hypertension. Her left brain was affected. There were 2 areas that had the bleeding. Her left body (arms, legs) were the ones that couldn't move. Her speech didn't seem to be affected. She was the one who told us that she had a stroke when it first occurred (she suddenly couldn't move her leg).

She continues to go to physical therapy, takes the medicines her neurologist and cardiologist prescribed. Her therapist lets her walk by herself (while holding the back of her shirt) during the sessions, as sometimes she gets out of balance. So at home she walks slowly with a cane. She feels her right hand is still weak. She can lift it up but not that high. This morning she tried to write, and it seemed she has more control already. She really wants to write again so that she can sign and she took up painting as a hobby before this occurred.

She seems to get tired easily. This wasn't the case before (prior to the stroke, she's very active and can go up and down the stairs quickly several times each day).

I have some questions

1) I was wondering if her stamina could be improved, so she won't get tired easily? We asked the therapist, but he said it's really like that.

2) According to the therapist, a large part of recovery happens within the first 3 to 6 months. Right now is the start of her 4th month already. I was wondering if she could walk normally (at a normal speed) and gain full usage of her faculties by the end of the 6 month?

She goes to the therapy sessions 3x a week.

Thank you very much in advance for the responses!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mixberry
    goingtorun (06-16-2014),guyp (06-21-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
    goingtorun
    Veteran
    (male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
    Re: Therapy & recovery for hemorrhagic stroke

G’day mixberry,
    Welcome to our family of stroke survivors. Four years ago at the age of 54 I suffered a clot in the brain stem.
    I was told that the major recovery will occur in the first 3 to 6 months and that’s that.
    That was only partly right, because I’m still recovering .The rate of improvement these days is ever so slight , but I will take whatever is given back to me. It is a long and hard road to recovery, some days you take one step forward then two steps back. Physical therapy is a must,as is rest.
    No person can tell you when and how much you will recover. Every person is different we may share similar defects but no two strokes are the same.
    One must not give up, family support and encouragement is paramount in lifting ones sprits.
    Keep in touch and God bless.
    George.

Last edited by goingtorun; 06-20-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
    guyp
    (male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Hi mixberry,
    It's been 2 years for me and my eyesight has improved and my walking. So recovery is an ongoing thing. Never say never. It might be slight but it is a gift nonetheless. Keep on keeping on.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
    zebrafish
    (female)

zebrafish HB User

What kind of mends could a neurologist prescribe for stroke ,and how do they help?

Closed Thread

Tags
    stroke, stroke recovery