It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board

• Father not waking up after a stroke...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
    Barada
    (male)

Barada HB User
    Father not waking up after a stroke...

My father had been at a local nursing home(more of an assisted living place) for about a year, he is 79, and on Tuesday, he was taken to the hospital. Initially we were told they were sending him because of a cold he had and he wasn't eating and they figured a hospital could evaluate him better. Later that day we were told it was a little stroke. Turns out, when we spoke with the doctor today, it wasn't a little one. It was a more substantial stroke. The doctor stated that in the past 2 days my father has not responded to any commands or requests. They were unable to do a swallowing evaluation both days. It's like he is just sleeping. He does move his legs slightly every so often, and the doctor said he does retract his arms and responds sometimes to pressure. But he has not opened his eyes at all nor made any type of communication.

My mother and I don't really know what will happen. The doctor stated if he can't wake up to eat, eventually a feeding tube would be needed. However, the living will states no feeding tube. And that we don't have an issue with.

I am just not sure what to expect. Should a stroke victim wake up within a few days? Is it possible he will never wake up? He was almost always accompanied by a private aid so its not like he was alone for hours after the stroke. If he doesn't wake up, how long could his body hold on for?

Here's some more background... He has other medical issues and has slowly been declining over the past few years. In 2001 he suffered a TBI which caused him to lose his short term memory and the ability to remember most things past a few minutes. Then, in 2005 he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. When he was still at home with my mother, back in 2012-2013, he would still walk around the house on his own, and even make tea or coffee. He was also able to feed the cats sometimes, even if it was 6-7 times a day. However, he slept poorly and would wander the house all night, keeping my mother up as well. Last July, one night he fell in the living room and my mom found him in the morning. He was severely dehydrated and was acting different, later that day we took him to the emergency room but there were no signs of a stroke or anything other than the dehydration. He was admitted and after a week was moved to a rehab facility. That is when his angry side really first came out. He would try to hit people and kick. He'd also throw stuff and needed an aid with him 24hrs a day. Three months later he was moved to an assisted living home/nursing home which provided a more home-like setting. The private aid was still needed and he continued with violent outburst and he frequently did not recognize family. Over the past year, we noticed he almost always had his eyes shut and would sleep a lot. He could walk on his own, so he was also considered a flight risk and needed to be watched at times, once again that's why an aid was needed. The past few months when my mom would visit him, he would not even be able to acknowledge her presence. She would talk to him and get no response or even get hit along with the aid. Also with eating, he varied from needed to be fed, to needing pureed food, to being able to eat solid food on his own. And he had been wearing a diaper since last summer.

I told the doctor of his previous behavior and how he does not respond often but the doctor said this is now more of a cognitive issue after the stroke. Obviously this whole situation isn't a sudden shock to our family since we had seen a decline over the years and knew something would happen eventually. Previous doctors had said that his brain injury will not be something he could recover from and the Parkinson's had also taken its toll.

I just don't want him to suffer. I have no idea how much he is actually aware of, or has been for the past few years. I got married just over a year ago and he was not at the wedding. He had met my wife back when we were engaged and he would say hi and we all had dinner at my in-laws a while back, in 2012, and he did remarkably good then. I feel so bad for my mother, she lives alone now and my sister lives over 11 hours away so I feel like I should do anything I can for her.

Sorry I got off topic on his history really. My mom and I are basically just preparing ourselves that he will not wake up and this event will basically be the end. I have a ton of stress in my life as it is and my wife has no clue how I'm holding up, sometimes neither do I. I just want whats best for my father and for him not to be in pain or have a poor quality of life.

Last edited by Barada; 10-31-2014 at 12:19 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Barada
    goingtorun (10-31-2014),guyp (11-21-2014),shug767 (11-05-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
    Barada
    (male)

Barada HB User
    Re: Father not waking up after a stroke...

It has been a few weeks since my fathers stroke.
    The day after I posted this thread, he was able to eat and swallow, and drink again. He was moved to a rehab facility where he showed surprising improvement over the following two weeks.
    In that time though, he never spoke as far as we know, and the staff have also not heard him speak. He has not responded to people talking to him except for maybe shaking or nodding his head. He was also able to walk with assistance. And he has been on oxygen since the stroke. One big thing we did notice was that after the stroke, he was a lot more agreeable with receiving care. In the past he would get agitated and respond violently to people trying to aid or assist him, even my mother. So we were unsure of exactly what affect the stroke actually had on him.
    All that improvement has seemed to end as of earlier this past week. He now is only really sleeping all the time. The nurse practitioner called my mother on Friday and told her that we need to start hospice for him. She said in the past few days his condition was rapidly declining and he was no longer able to eat of drink once again, He just can't swallow anymore it seems. My mother and I have a meeting tomorrow to see what the next step is. We visited him today and he was in bed sleeping like usual. He looked to be peaceful and at one point he was even crossing his legs, at the ankles, to be more comfortable. That was his only movement or anything while we were there. The nurse said he may also have bronchitis. Now we have to take things day by day and see whats going on. WE are just glad that he seems more calm now in general and not so angry as he was prior to the stroke in the first place.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
    Barada
    (male)

Barada HB User
    Re: Father not waking up after a stroke...

To conclude this thread, I just wanted to add that my father passed away on saturday, about 5 days after we started Hospice. He was basically sleeping the whole week and I believe his fever did go down some but not sure if it went away completely. My sister and her family came in for thanksgiving and to see him since I let her know of his condition. On friday we visited him and even though he was sleeping and non-responsive we still talked to him some and just let him hear our own conversation as we spent some time in his room with him. On friday evening, our familys pastor visited with him and gave him a blessing and read some bible verses to him. On saturday morning my mother received the call that he had passed. It happened at some time during the night and they discovered it when they went to wake him/check on him in the morning. At least now he is at peace and no longer suffering.

Even though this thread, and the entire board provided me no direct help or support in the form of responses here, that's ok. The fact alone of just getting everything out and providing a form of expression for it, did help. The other threads were also good to read and learn more about my situation based on what others have went though. So thank you.

Last edited by Barada; 12-03-2014 at 08:04 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Barada:
    guyp (02-08-2015)
    Closed Thread