It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Suggestions for New Boards Message Board

• Congenital Scoliosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
    kippy6
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kippy6 HB User
    Post Congenital Scoliosis

I'd like to find out if a new forum on Congenital Scoliosis could be started.

Congenital Scoliosis (CS) is different than idiopathic (acquired) scoliosis in that:

1. Congenital Scoliosis is caused by birth defects only. In Idiopathic Scoliosis, people have a spinal curve, and they don't know why. They have a curve (usually of a lesser degree) but there is no anatomical reason for it.

2. the curves are usually more severe.

3. People with CS are not treatable with a brace since the cause is a birth defect in the bone, and you can't really fix the defect in a bone with a brace. If the curve progresses past 40%, this usually indicates surgery is needed. Most people with Congenital Scoliosis require spinal surgery.

4. Also, many times people with congenital scoliosis have other associated birth defects as indicated in the "VATER association."

It would be nice to separate the two types of scoliosis, and have one forum for idiopathic, and one for congenital since the problems and treatment options with each differ greatly.

[This message has been edited by kippy6 (edited 03-19-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Kippy6,

I have congenital scoliosis, along with spina-bifida, and would like to see a board specifically for that. I don't know how many posters it would be able to attract, though. I've been posting on the Spinal Cord Disorders and Back Problems board and receive a lot of good information and support there, but there aren't many that I've found to have a congenital disability. Perhaps a Congenital Disability board would broaden the topic a little and provide more posters.

Thanks for the info you provided above. I've learned something already!

Good Luck! ....franjo

[This message has been edited by franjo (edited 03-19-2003).]
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Closed Thread