It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board

• how long has this swine flu last for those that have it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
    how long has this swine flu last for those that have it?

I am going on day 9, went to the Dr. last week for diagnosis. She gave me no meds at the time, said it's a viral infection, wanted to wait till this week, even tho it was in my sinuses and chest, cough is way horrible. I tried to go back to work Monday, and having a really rough time, so my Dr. prescribed 875mg of Augmentin, twice daily. Well, I still feel horrible after 2 days of that and now my stomach is so messed up and hurts that I can't work cause I can't leave my bathroom. How long does this flu last? I am taking nebulizer treatments and inhaler for my lungs, but I could sleep for days. And the antibiotics so strong.... Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
    Re: how long has this swine flu last for those that have it?

The antibiotics are probably causing your stomach woes, though I know DH had similar gastrointestinal issues when he had the flu a couple weeks ago. He recovered after 5 days, but had tamiflu. His relative, it took about 8 days.

The coworker that infected DH is still sick -- it's been over two weeks. He developed a secondary lung infection.

I've heard it's a nasty bug that can cause weakness, tiredness and a cough even a few weeks after the fever disipates.

Have you tried yogurt, probiotics like culturelle or acidophilis supplements or milk. I know some of my friends who have children on heavy duty antibiotics swear by them to help sooth the stomach and digestive tract.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
    soravetz
    (female)

soravetz HB User

Were you ever put on Tamiflu? Only reason I ask is because on Day 3 of Tamiflu my stomach was in knots and I was sick to my stomach. I actually had to stop it. If not, it could be the antibiotics. I agree with the previous post. try some probiotics. As far as the cough, I am right there with you. I am on day 7 of this and the cough is terrible. I was told the cough can last up to 3 weeks. Try some warm tea and honey or your doctor might be able to prescribe something. I was also told by my doctor to try and sleep 12-16 hours a day with this. Pretend you are apart of a "sleeping marathon" were her exact words. If you can take the time off work, you should. Your body needs it.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

She didn't put me on an antiviral but an antibiotic. Can you take both types at the same time? I can't take a long time off work, but was able to do a day here and there off. I am feeling so horrible still. In two days it will be 2 weeks of having this, and not feeling any better. My Dr.'s not real worried because I have no fever? I can hardly lift my head today, I slept after work until about an hour ago. The coughing and stuffy head is wearing me out. And still sick to my stomache. Yesterday I started getting lightheaded. There is so much junk going around I don't know if I'm catching everything at once here or all part of the flu package.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
    Dawnsdays
    (female)

Dawnsdays HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miche31 View Post
    She didn't put me on an antiviral but an antibiotic. Can you take both types at the same time? I can't take a long time off work, but was able to do a day here and there off. I am feeling so horrible still. In two days it will be 2 weeks of having this, and not feeling any better. My Dr.'s not real worried because I have no fever? I can hardly lift my head today, I slept after work until about an hour ago. The coughing and stuffy head is wearing me out. And still sick to my stomache. Yesterday I started getting lightheaded. There is so much junk going around I don't know if I'm catching everything at once here or all part of the flu package.
    You still have the swine virus. Your place of work should not let you come back until you are better. This isn't anything to play around with. You going back into work will only make others sick and the business will lose more productivity. Not to mention you could spread this to someone else and they could have complications or pass it to an inocent infant who could end up in the hospital. Please stay home!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
    Kalynn
    (female)

Kalynn HB User
    Smile Re: how long has this swine flu last for those that have it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miche31 View Post
    Hi Miche31,
    It sounds like you have developed a secondary URI (Upper respiratory infection) due to the initial viral infection. That is why your DR prescribed the Augmentin. Augmentin is rough on the stomach and GI tract. It also may be possible that the Augmentin is not going to be the antibiotic to kill this particular secondary infection. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that has been around a long time but will not work on some infections. You may want to let your Dr know that you are not getting any better and ask for a different antibiotic. Good luck and feel better soon

Closed Thread