It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Swine Flu (H1N1) Message Board

• Fear of Vomiting

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
    Re: Fear of Vomiting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ocdsux108 View Post
    I too have emetophobia and am petrified of getting this or any type of bug that makes me "stomach sick". I am 36 weeks pregnant and did get the vaccine 1-1/2 weeks ago. Apparently it takes 2 weeks for it to "kick in" so I worry day in and day out!!! I'm actually more afraid of my daughter being sick with it than myself. She had a nasty stomach bug in April that lasted nearly 2 weeks (Rotavirus??) and ever since...every single day...I wonder...is this the day she will vomit again?? UGH! Being emetophobic for most of my life is terrible & with the hype over this swine flu, I've become a more paranoid person. The few people I know who had it didn't say anything about their stomachs...most of the people are 14 and under and had a high fever for a week or so. My boss's son has it and really has NO symptoms except aches and fever. I'm sorry but as an "emet", i will certainly take that over nausea and vomiting any day!!! I hope and pray all of you and your families stay well!

Please don't worry I know it is hard. I just went through it with myself and my kids. We experienced uneasiness in our stomach but it wasn't bad at all. I meditate because I have chronic stomach problems - it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
    gigi11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    You know, I wonder about the vomiting part of swine flu.... is it an actual symptom, or is it that the high fevers are causing it?

Like if my kids get high fevers, certain foods cause them to throw up.... usually dairy that will curdle in their feverish tummies, or if I give them juice from the fridge, I think the cold hitting their hot feverish tummy can just be explosive! But occasionally other random stuff, like spaghetti, hot dogs, eggs, etc.... will do it to them too! So the minute I know they have any fever, we go straight to the BRAT diet (with a few modifications.... like we have chicken noodle soup and I'll add some canned chicken breast to the rice, and saltines are good.... mild stuff like that....) and they stay on it until they're fever free for 24 hours.... we've managed to avoid most upset stomach issues that way.

Anyway, if you are afraid of vomiting, and you get swine flu, you might try sticking with a modified BRAT diet for the duration of your fever, and see if that helps.
    I think it was the fever causing it because my kids would get dizzy and start to hollucinate because the fever was so high 103.5 degrees

Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
    farblefumble
    (female)

farblefumble HB User

I also have an extreme fear of vomiting. I got food poisoning from some oysters a couple weeks ago and I flipped out. I only threw up twice but then I was terrified to eat because I was still nauseas I am so afraid of it that I make myself nauseas just thinking about it. I avoided getting the vaccine for just the same reason. My husband wants me to see a psychiatrist about it, but I'm afraid that the medications they will give me will make me nauseas. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person out there with this fear.

Closed Thread