It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Chronic heartburn/headaches/nausea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
    JoshDouglas1
    (male)

JoshDouglas1 HB User
    Chronic heartburn/headaches/nausea

For the last year or so, I've been experiencing heartburn along with headaches. I experience headburn 2-3 times per day and headaches almost everyday. Excedrin sometimes helps and sometimes it doesn't. I also experience some nausea/tingling in my body and sometimes legs (from the knee down). The tingling from my knees down occurs most when driving and it is sometimes difficult to focus whether I'm driving or at work.

Just in case genetics plays a role, my mom was diagnosed with Crohn's disease back in June and my dad had ulcers when he was my age.

Is the heartburn related to the headaches and nausea? What could is be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
    Bob652
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
    Sorry to hear about your issue. With your genes, I would highly recommend avoiding Excedrin. Most Excedrin has Tylenol, Aspirin, and caffeine. Aspirin can cause ulcers and caffeine can cause heartburn. Caffeine can also make headaches worse in some people so you might want to try just Tylenol or acetaminophen.

For the heartburn, I would start with a basic antacid like Tums to see if that helps. Tums is just calcium so it works instantly and it doesn't have many side effects unless you take more than what the bottle says to take.

Based on everything you described, my first guess is that you are under too much stress. Sometimes we don't even realize it. Do you have a lot going on in your life right now? If you don't feel better, I would suggest seeing a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

I hope you feel better.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
    JoshDouglas1
    (male)

JoshDouglas1 HB User
    Re: Chronic heartburn/headaches/nausea

I don't feel stressed and I shouldn't be. I am only 18 and essentially have nothing to worry about. I occasionally take Tums and it occasionally works. It's just frustrating and the heartburn sometimes gets to the point where my ears hurt.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
    Bob652
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
    Teens and young adults often have tons of stress. School, family, friends, work, and fitting in can all cause a lot of subtle issues. I got really stressed out a few years ago and I had no idea until a third party (my doctor) pointed it out to me.

Do you notice any patterns to when the symptoms start like after doing something or a specific time of day? There's a long list of possible causes besides stress. Another common thing is that your eyes may have changed and they are being strained. That can cause headaches and nausea.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
    JoshDouglas1
    (male)

JoshDouglas1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bob652 View Post
    Teens and young adults often have tons of stress. School, family, friends, work, and fitting in can all cause a lot of subtle issues. I got really stressed out a few years ago and I had no idea until a third party (my doctor) pointed it out to me.

Do you notice any patterns to when the symptoms start like after doing something or a specific time of day? There's a long list of possible causes besides stress. Another common thing is that your eyes may have changed and they are being strained. That can cause headaches and nausea.

Last edited by JoshDouglas1; 05-25-2015 at 08:16 AM. Reason: delete

Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
    JoshDouglas1
    (male)

JoshDouglas1 HB User

The heartburn occurs sporadically. I tend to stay away from foods and drinks that are acidic. In terms of stress, I'm graduating from high school next week so that has me more excited than stressed.

I also wear glasses and I thought that my prescription changed because I thought I had been straining my eyes but the eye doctor said my vision hasn't changed.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
    Bob652
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I hate when that happens. I know the feeling too of when the prescription seems to have changed but they say it didn't.

Are you getting enough sleep? Do you drink a lot of caffeine? Has anything changed recently?

Congrats on graduating high school.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
    JoshDouglas1
    (male)

JoshDouglas1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bob652 View Post
    I hate when that happens. I know the feeling too of when the prescription seems to have changed but they say it didn't.

Are you getting enough sleep? Do you drink a lot of caffeine? Has anything changed recently?

Congrats on graduating high school.
    Thank you. I get roughly 5-7 of sleep each night. I mean the most stress I've been under lately was due to AP exams but that wouldn't explain why it's been occuring for the last year. my mom purchases these "energy" drinks that are made completely out of organic/natural ingredients and contain 80mg of caffeine but even then it hasn't even been 6 months of that so I don't think that would explain it either.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
    Bob652
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Once you get out of school in a few weeks, I would suggest trying to go a week or two with more sleep and no energy drinks just to see what happens.

I used to love eating General Tso's chicken. I ate it for years with no problem. In my early 20's, I started getting severe migraines on a somewhat regular basis. Nothing had changed in my life or diet except I eventually realized that every time I ate General Tso's chicken, no matter what restaurant it came from, I was guaranteed to get a migraine. When I stopped eating the chicken, the headaches almost disappeared. Now I only get one maybe once every 6 months. My point to this is that sometimes things change overtime so it's good to take a step back and look at everything. I try to never make assumptions.

Closed Thread