It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• EDS. (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 AM   #1
    SkepticalPerson
    (male)

SkepticalPerson HB User
    EDS. (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness)

Hi there. I'm a 16 year old, I'm male, and I've been dealing with an annoying problem for a while.

When I wake up in the morning, I don't feel rested. I don't have any problems breathing (excluding asthma), and I've never had a test done.

Besides the consistant waking up tired, I also deal with it at school. I typically get extremely tired and give in to a nap, I know it won't help, but it feels good to sleep and it relieves the impulse temporarily. My grades aren't bad, but I always feel exhausted and I haven't found a solution.

I typically go to sleep 10-12 PM, and always wake up at 5 AM. The less sleep I get, the better I feel. Though I love sleeping, this is anchoring me constantly.

I'm missing important class information, I'm having memory problems, and I'm missing important time. I went to the doctor for other problems like dizziness, they attributed it to anxiety (though it seemed like a quick excuse). I proceded to have a MRI and they found a pineal cyst and that's it. While 90% of the time its known to be asymptomatic, some people have complained of similar tired symptoms and dizziness.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited by SkepticalPerson; 02-03-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: EDS. (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness)

HI there. What did your doctor suggest? I cant honestly say I know much about Pineal cysts- but if other people have complained about not sleeping well, this should be well documented.

As for the rest of it- there are a million reasons why you might not be getting enough rest. One is that you may not know you have sleep apnea..my husband has it, wont do anything about it, and complains of similar problems. Crashing into the day, feeling like he never gets enough sleep. (join the club! He keeps me up all night with his snoring!) Finding out if you have any problems like this is a matter of a sleep study....

Another reason could be an illness- have you had a complete physical recently? Many autoimmune diseases cause fatigue...

Another reason could be diet...caffeine after 3 pm can cause you to not sleep properly. Youre probably not a coffee addict at your age, but cola? Mountain Dew? Any caffeinated beverage after 3 pm can throw off your sleep ability...if you do drink caffeine, try not doing so after 3 pm...and lastly, cell phones, computers, anything that emits blue light. Crazy as it sounds, try to sleep with them OFF and make sure the last 2 hours prior to bed, you are not looking at your phone or computer...both can actually disrupt the sleep patterns in your brain..

These are just suggestions...but all of them can have you feeling like you didnt get enough sleep in the morning. Maybe one of them applies to you?

I hope you start getting enough zzzzzs!
    MSNik

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    SkepticalPerson (02-04-2016)
    Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
    SkepticalPerson
    (male)

SkepticalPerson HB User
    Re: EDS. (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    HI there. What did your doctor suggest? I cant honestly say I know much about Pineal cysts- but if other people have complained about not sleeping well, this should be well documented.

As for the rest of it- there are a million reasons why you might not be getting enough rest. One is that you may not know you have sleep apnea..my husband has it, wont do anything about it, and complains of similar problems. Crashing into the day, feeling like he never gets enough sleep. (join the club! He keeps me up all night with his snoring!) Finding out if you have any problems like this is a matter of a sleep study....

Another reason could be an illness- have you had a complete physical recently? Many autoimmune diseases cause fatigue...

Another reason could be diet...caffeine after 3 pm can cause you to not sleep properly. Youre probably not a coffee addict at your age, but cola? Mountain Dew? Any caffeinated beverage after 3 pm can throw off your sleep ability...if you do drink caffeine, try not doing so after 3 pm...and lastly, cell phones, computers, anything that emits blue light. Crazy as it sounds, try to sleep with them OFF and make sure the last 2 hours prior to bed, you are not looking at your phone or computer...both can actually disrupt the sleep patterns in your brain..

These are just suggestions...but all of them can have you feeling like you didnt get enough sleep in the morning. Maybe one of them applies to you?

I hope you start getting enough zzzzzs!
    MSNik

Thanks for responding.

My doctor basically told me that it was anxiety and that is it. I have had blood test's done and my heart was looked at (EKG) and they said it was of no concern (I was tested because of dizziness). I do drink Diet Coke, but I don't think it is enough to keep me up. I sleep fine, it's just I never feel satisfied after sleeping. It's like an itch that you cannot scratch.

Overall, I probably would need a sleep study but we cannot afford it at the moment.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Closed Thread