It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• very hungry

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2002, 10:14 AM   #1
    PeterT

PeterT HB User
    Post very hungry

I am 14 years old and I have the problem that I am very very hungry. My mom even took me to the doctor but he can't find anything wrong. I am not fat. My parrents sometimes get upset with me because I eat so much. My mom lets me eat as much as I want but sometimes she get upset if I am still hungry after she fixes me a big meal or if I steal too much from the refidgerator. She likes to take me to all you can eat buffets and if I get hungry within about 4 hours after that she gets mad and says I should have eaten more when I had the chance. Sometimes she doesn't believe that I am really hungry. The thing is I just get hungry and I can't help it. What can I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
    ChoCoCat

ChoCoCat HB User
    Could your metabolism be it? Because a girl I know has a really high metabolism. She's always hungry too.

Old 05-30-2002, 05:33 PM   #3
    LisaL

LisaL HB User
    In my opinion: YOu are a growing boy (uh, you are male, right? Sometimes you can't be so sure here) and as long as you are not eating yourself to obesity, I don't see anything wrong. Are you eating a variety of foods (including fruits and veggies?) If so, give yourself more points. To me, getting hungry 4 hrs after eating (whether it be a big meal or not) is normal. I require a snack after 2 hours and a light meal a few hours after that. So, for a growing teen, you are juuuust fiiine. Maybe you could get a professional to talk to your mom, in casual conversation? Maybe someone else with teens? Maybe if she could understand what is going on with you, she wouldn't make it so rough for you. And, not to expel what ChoCoCat said-- your metabolism is probably very high right now. Take care and God bless!!
    LisaL

Old 05-31-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
    AshleeD

AshleeD HB User
    Hey I don't know if this helps...haha...but I'm a teenager and I eat ALL THE TIME. I'll come to the 'fridge after school, eat something, then come back and again and again! I very seriously doubt there is anything wrong with you. If there was something wrong with teens being hungry all the time and eating all the time, the doctors offices around town would be jam packed http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif Ya know? Well, don't sweat it your probably fine...or it's that high metabolism thingy haha whatever that is http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~
    AshLee

~º~ºAsHº~º~
    *Troublesome Trio #1*

"If you don't learn to laugh at troubles, you won't have anything to laugh at when you grow old."
    -Edward W. Howe

Old 06-04-2002, 02:55 AM   #5
    Valhalla
    (female)

Valhalla HB User
    The past posters are right: As long as you're not eating yourself to obesity, then you should be fine. High metabolism and/or an over active schedule could be the culprits. They are the culprits for myself and my siblings. Everyone makes sure that their refrigerators are stock piled if we visit! ::laughs:: So cheer up. You're not alone. ::smiles::

Old 06-04-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
    golddustwolf9600

It is very normal for many teens to be like this. I have a freind who is still like this at age 26 and still skinny as a rail. We use to be amazed at how much he could eat and be hungry within two hours. I swear to god I always saw him with food.
    But now I have a 6 yr old son who can eat and eat and get hungry within an hour of eating. At first I was nervous about it because it started about the timehe turned five and I was scared of him haveing weight problems. My side of the family does,though my hubby doesnt. So far he is fine even though he eats like a horse.
    So relax and just tell your mom it is a part of you growing. Or you can do a search and find sites online that can explain it to her.

Old 06-04-2002, 02:33 PM   #7
    christie s

christie s HB User
    Hey Peter~~Eating and being hungry all the time is very normal for a growing boy, especially if you are active. You probably have a very high metabolism and your body is burning up what you eat very quickly. My husband had the exact same thing until he hit 30 and his metabolism slowed down. My 8 year old son now eats continuously. He plays little league sports year round and is in very good physical condition (no fat anywhere on him). A normal day for him during the school yr: 3 bowls of cereal or 2 packs of instant oatmeal, fruit, juice or milk for breakfast, for lunch I pack him a sandwich, chips, cookies, fruit and water plus he buys a school lunch then gets an ice cream. When he gets home from school he eats a sandwich and chips, a few hours later he eats again, then we have dinner (he can eat two big hamburgers without even blinking). Then he will eat again before going to bed.

I'm sure your mom is seeing how much you are eating and it is hard for her to understand how you could be hungry. At first I wondered if he was eating just to have something to do, then I wondered if he was eating to "prove" he could eat that much. I soon realized this wasn't the case and I just let him eat, I do make sure he is eating good foods and not junk food all the time. It is a joke with family and friends that if Cody is coming they have to make sure they have plenty of food. People who do not know him will make fun of him and he will walk away from the table still hungry. This is also something we are working on, because if he is hungry he needs to eat no matter what anybody says.

Sorry my post is long, I just wanted you to know you are a normal, healthy, growing boy. I'm sure your mom understands, it is just kind of hard to imagine where all the food is going sometimes.

Closed Thread