It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Healthy weight range for seventeen year old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2002, 01:08 AM   #1
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User
    Talking Healthy weight range for seventeen year old?

Hey there,

I was wondering if anybody here could tell me what you consider to be a healthy weight range for a seventeen year old female, tall - 5’8” (172cm) – yet with a small build?

I am quite active but I have had many problems with my eating and at a time my weight plummeted to around 95 pounds. I am trying to recover so I would like the opinion of people on this forum who know about healthy weights as I there will be people here that don’t worry over weight the way that I have done in the past.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

[This message has been edited by tntmod5 (edited 06-27-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2002, 10:51 AM   #2
    Twist16
    Inactive

Twist16 HB User
    Thumbs up

I'm also 5'8".. but I'm more of a medium build. I'm around 128 lbs.. I would think you to be somewhere around.. 115-120?

I wish you good luck on your recovery!
    ~Twist

Old 12-06-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
    wrin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wrin HB User
    gah, finally a post where someone isn't asknig about how to lose weight

don't worry too much about your weight, your body might just have an active metabolism. The important thing is to make sure you're getting enough to eat. Eat lots of carbs and protein and weight-bear if you want to put on some weight -- muscle weights more than fat and is far nicer to put on.

Old 12-07-2002, 03:08 AM   #4
    Jabber

Jabber HB User
    A Girl 5'8" should weigh about 140

Old 12-07-2002, 03:25 AM   #5
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User
    Talking

Thank you for the replies, Twist and Wrin!

Twist, I'm around 110 to 112lbs at the moment, so I think actually that I will stay where I am for the moment considering you say 115lbs would be healthy. I have put on SO MUCH weight lately and I HATE it... yet at the same time I know it's RIGHT. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Thanks for your best wishes.

Wrin, talk to me about two or three months ago and I WOULD have been one of those people! It's only because I'm recovering now that I'm trying to gain some weight, even though I don't really feel THAT comfortable with doing so.

Also thank you for your suggestions. That's also something I need to learn - how to eat the RIGHT foods.

Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2002, 03:32 AM   #6
    Ashlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ashlee HB User
    Oops, sorry Jabber. Didn't see your reply there just before!

140lbs??? I don't know... I think I'll go with the 115lbs instead!!!

I mean, I know that people my height at 140lbs will look good and healthy and all, but for me at the moment it's just too much to gain. I can't do it.

Also, I DO have a really small build - it's in my mum's side of the family and my mum who it taller than me (probably about 5'9", maybe 5'10") only weighs about 120lbs at the most! She IS thin, but she is very healthy. So it's also just in my family so probably a bit less than 140lbs would be okay for me.

Take care!

Old 12-07-2002, 03:43 AM   #7
    Jabber

Jabber HB User
    Maybe 115 looks good on you, my wife is 5'4" and weighs 114, 5'8" is a nice tall lady and can carry it but you do whats best for you I guess I like my ladies with a little meat on their bones! LOL

Old 12-09-2002, 10:16 PM   #8
    AngelaMDarling

AngelaMDarling HB User
    I'm 5 foot 8 and 130 lbs...95 lbs at 5 foot 8 would look rather...um........anorexic looking I guess.

Old 12-10-2002, 02:29 AM   #9
    Jabber

Jabber HB User
    I would think think, but we must live and let live, a guy I work with is 6' 155lbs and there is one <deleted> asks him all the time if he is sick! It really bothers Randy and the sad part is he looks fine he is just wiry, some people are just ignorant and must be taken with a grain of salt, I have bounced weight back and forth my whole life and have been with the same woman for 25 years and married for 20 we met at 17, Im lucky but gotta relize it most days. GOD Bless

Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #10
    lalala08

lalala08 HB User
    i am 5'5 and i am around 123...i am in excellent shape, i work out daily since i play soccer, and i have a great body. im sorry but 110-115 for someone who is taller than me is not healthy! the doctors i have talked to all said i am just right, so if you are 5'8 im guessing you should be around my weight at the least!! but thats just my opinion

Old 12-22-2002, 03:00 PM   #11
    Twist16
    Inactive

Twist16 HB User
    You probably are very healthy, muscle weighs more and you workout. But having an eating disorder eats away at your muscles, so taking that into the picture, her gaining weight would just be fat.. But I would suggest for a healthy recovery to start exersizing and rebuilding muscles... plus you would look great, and what it says on the scale does not always show whats on your body! You could easily be 140 and still look great.

Old 12-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #12
    Running Queen
    Veteran
    (female)

Running Queen HB User
    I think the people on this board are great! They tell it how it is! Yes...95 lbs. is tooooo thin and you know that! But I'm glad to hear that you are at 112 lbs. That is healthier. Just remember that you are wonderful and that won't change no matter what you weight!

Old 01-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #13
    deformedmoose

deformedmoose HB User
    For 5'8" anywhere in the teens is horribly unhealthy. Please people don't give her advice when you dont know what your talking about. As a recovering anorexic, I see a nutritionist once a week and have researched your question really thoroughly. The minimum weight you should be to be healthy is 129 or 130, anywhere below is dangerous. The perfect weight for someone your height is around 140. Remember it is healthier to be a little chubby than too skinny.(I didn't just pull that out of my ***, its a proven fact). It really worries me when people forget about health and become obsessed with seeing a low number on the scale, so hon, despite what some people who are ignorant of nutrition have said, 112 is dangerously underweight.
    Sorry to go psycho- I just don't want more girls falling into the same trap i did.

Old 01-09-2003, 11:01 PM   #14
    boomdahbah

boomdahbah HB User
    Wink

all body types are different, if you have a small frame and could never go over 120 then swell, good for you. It doesn't matter what the "regular" body type is for your height because everyone is different and all that matters is if you're healthy. Some people could be 5'6" 150 pounds and look really great and be way healthy, it all depends. And don't get worried about gaining a little weight, skin and bones isn't what a lot of guys want anyway, they want something to grab onto http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

Old 01-10-2003, 02:20 PM   #15
    toaskornottoask
    Veteran
    (male)

toaskornottoask HB User
    Don't worry about it Ash! I know that may be hard but it's true, you'll drive yourself nuts! Just be happy with who you are. Good luck!

Closed Thread