It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Flat chested and can't gain weight?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
    RedLeviathan
    (female)

RedLeviathan HB User
    Flat chested and can't gain weight?

So, I've been in high school for a while now, and my breast size has remained stagnant for the past couple of years. I've had the same breast size since 5th grade. Meaning of course, I should still be wearing training bras. I've moved to padded bras in 6th grade, but only because it seemed like my chest got bigger as it got hard to breathe wearing training bras. And by chest, I mean ribs. My breasts have remained disappointingly small. I can't go to any appropriate sizes on account of it consticting my air flow, so I have to choose between breathing and wearing the wrong size, or not breathing and wearing the correct size. I'm 5'5" now and my weight has been stuck at 107 lbs for the past two years, and eating greasy and fatty foods to gain weight only makes me feel sick. I know birth control could help with that as well as fix the whole "no period for 4 months and then suddenly getting the most painful period that keeps me from school as a result" thing that's been happening, but I'm scared to tell this to my mother, because she has large breasts and didn't have to deal with this junk. People think it's funny to joke that I have anorexia, even though I do not, considering the fact I'll have occasions where I eat a lot and am constantly hungry, but that food goes seemingly nowhere as my weight stays the same as well as my breasts. Seriously the last time I got growing pains was in 5th grade when it started, and I was so excited I was going to finally grow breasts, and here I am years later depressed because that dream never came true and I can't help but hate myself because of it. Don't tell me "oh, it'll happen eventually" because that's not what I'm here for. I just want either a solution or at least how to tell this to my mother, because I'm tired of beating myself up over this. Also, surgery is off the table. I'm not going to scar myself over this any more than I already have.

Last edited by mod85; 08-22-2016 at 04:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
    RedLeviathan
    (female)

RedLeviathan HB User
    Re: Flat chested and can't gain weight?

Edit: I do not harm myself intentionally. What I meant at the end is once I got so frustrated I dug my nails into my arm without realizing and drew blood. It scarred lightly, and now it just looks like weird discolorations on my arm. That doesn't change the fact that this really distresses me and makes me hate myself, though. 😔

Old 08-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

According to the online BMI calculator, you are a little underweight at 17.8; they claim that anything below 18.5 is underweight. 111 pounds would bring you up to 18.5, that's only 4 more pounds.

Some years ago I got interested in B complex vitamins and decided to try taking some, I don't remember why but it wasn't to gain weight. After a couple of days I noticed I was developing a huge appetite and was gaining weight, so I stopped.

But now, after doing an online search, I see that some people are recommending B complex vitamins for weight loss. One person suggested that it helps with weight loss because it speeds up metabolism. I think it helps the body to convert food to energy.

I think B complex vitamins might help your body to utilize the foods you eat so that you don't feel sick after eating high fat foods, like nuts and seeds. (I don't recommend eating greasy foods.)

It won't cost much to try this and you can always stop if it doesn't improve your appetite and help keep you from feeling sick when eating high fat foods.

And, if you have any doubts about this, you can always check with your doctor. That's my disclaimer. :-)

Last edited by JohnR41; 08-20-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added a thought.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. Talking to your mom is hard. I remember being a junior in highschool and I was 5'2 and weighed only 80 lbs. Everyone thought I was anorexic too. I also was completely flat chested.
    In my senior year, my boobs started getting bigger. It seemed like from September to Christmas they actually bloomed! I went from an A cup to a C cup! I had to talk to my mom because now it was embarrassing to wear clothes.

Here is a suggestion for the pain you are in from wearing the wrong bra size. Go to a department store where no one knows you (or a victoria secret shop) and ask to be fit. Ill bet that you are wearing the wrong bra size. Even if your cup size is small, you might be wider than you think in the strap around your chest. If you arent comfortable asking a stranger, you are going to have to ask your mom to take you.

As far as being too skinny....this is your metabolism. It hasnt caught up with you yet. This is also something that only a doctor can help you with. Eating fatty, greasy food isnt going to do it for you; although you could try increasing your carbs. Eating more breads, pastas, things which are not greasy, will add calories - but its not the healthiest diet long term. Adding a piece of toast in the morning, and eating bread at lunch and a slice of cake or a plate of spaghetti will help without ruining your skin. No grease in these things..long term though this is going to definately put on pounds, but not really be good for your overall body health. You need to eat a balanced diet including fruits and veggies and proteins as well.

Because you are still in highschool, this is one of those awkward times where talking to your mom about your overall health, along with weight, is necessary. Your boobs and your metabolism WILL eventually catch up with you. I promise....but you want to make sure that you do not have a thyroid issue (which can cause it to be hard to gain weight) or another health problem. Seeing a doctor, having some basic blood work done, can help you rule out any health concerns.

Good luck! It will get better, I promise.

Closed Thread