It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
    Misty103175
    (female)

Misty103175 HB User
    Anemia

My 16 year old daughter just had labs done. Her ferritin is 4 but her mch is 26.3 pg and her mchc is 31.1 g/dl . They say she not anemic but I'm confused with the ferritin level being so low

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
    150amanda
    (female)

150amanda HB User
    Re: Anemia

My daughter recently received similar result and she has symptoms. Does your daughter have symptoms?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
    RunrRdr
    (female)

RunrRdr HB User

You can be iron deficient, but not anemic. Anemia can come and go, as it is more dependent on hemoglobin levels, I believe.
    A ferritin of four is very low. I had a ferritin of 27 and just had two iron IV infusions. The target ferritin level is 50 and the optimal is 100.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hey there

I too have a ferritin level of just 4 (but normal haemoglobin level), but my doctor has just booked me in for an iron infusion to be done at the hospital sometime in the next week he is hoping (forms were sent in yesterday, I am just awaiting the appointment date). Perhaps you can ask your doctor about this if your daughter is suffering due to the levels?

All the best!
    K.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
    trackmom
    (female)

trackmom HB User

My daughter is 17 years old, recently diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from EBV levels of 720.. We are on month 10 with little to know relief. Just got her labs back and her cortisol, iron and ferritin were low. Her ferritin was 10. She is or was a very competitive track athlete until all this. She can barely do half of the practice/workout. She hurts all the over. We just started her on ferrous sulfate, adrenal cream, vitamin C. I didn't realize that runners/athletes needed higher levels of ferritin. Anyone else with similar stories or suggestions?

Old 04-14-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
    Daisy177
    (female)

Daisy177 HB User

My iron was very low and has just come into the normal range now, I had all bloods checked and everything is normal, but still a little tired, I wanted to ask whether low iron affect your stamina and walking, as I am unable to walk without feeling faint and like I'm going to drop, any ideas what this could be?
    Thank you for your time

Closed Thread