It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.............

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-15-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
    Danielle_Bowen

Danielle_Bowen HB User
    Question My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.............

I dont know what will happen. I am only 15 do I need a GYN exam?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Re: My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.............

Fifteen?! NO you don't need one!!

They say you should start getting them regularly when you turn 18 but I think that's a load of crap; you should only go if you have/had unprotected sex or you suspect you have something creepy and crazy(i.e. infection, STD, testicles XD).

Are you sexually active? If you are, does your mom know? And if you aren't, does she think you are? Ask her why in God's name she made you an appointment anyway, hon! She must have a reason because I'm sure not too many young girls want to have their breasts touched, have a speculum, Q-tips, and a stranger's fingers forced into their most protected and sensitive area; heck a lot of grown women can't even go through with the exams.

So yes definitely inquire of your dear mother why she's made you a GYN appointment, and if all you get back from her is a "just because!" answer then that's not good enough. I myself have not experienced a GYN exam nor do I plan to for any reason, but the thought of having some stranger touching me is far more than enough to convince me to stay out of the OB/GYN office.

But best of luck to you, dear. I hope this messy situation will work out for you.

Dark Stranger

Old 05-16-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
    TomsWife
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TomsWife HB User
    Re: My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.............

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
    Fifteen?! NO you don't need one!!

They say you should start getting them regularly when you turn 18 but I think that's a load of crap; you should only go if you have/had unprotected sex or you suspect you have something creepy and crazy(i.e. infection, STD, testicles XD).

Are you sexually active? If you are, does your mom know? And if you aren't, does she think you are? Ask her why in God's name she made you an appointment anyway, hon! She must have a reason because I'm sure not too many young girls want to have their breasts touched, have a speculum, Q-tips, and a stranger's fingers forced into their most protected and sensitive area; heck a lot of grown women can't even go through with the exams.

So yes definitely inquire of your dear mother why she's made you a GYN appointment, and if all you get back from her is a "just because!" answer then that's not good enough. I myself have not experienced a GYN exam nor do I plan to for any reason, but the thought of having some stranger touching me is far more than enough to convince me to stay out of the OB/GYN office.

But best of luck to you, dear. I hope this messy situation will work out for you.

Dark Stranger
    Dark,
    I agree, 15 is alittle young for a GYN appt unless she is sexually active or having problems in that "area". That being said, I think your post is strange. Part of being a responsible woman is taking care of your body. True, a GYN appt is no day at the beach but it should be done once a year to ensure good health.
    I dont know how old you are, but your post leads me to believe that you are either very young or very uneducated in taking care of your body. 'nuff said.
    To the origial poster,
    If for some reason you must go now, dont worry hon. It really is over before you know it and you will feel better with a clean bill of health. Do a search on this board and you will find results of other women/young teens that had the same fears as you but were fine after. If you have any specific questions, just post away, I or other educated posters will respond. And dont let Dark's post scare you. The majority of women do not feel the way she (?) does.
    Take care of you.........
    Marilyn
    aka Tomsgirl

Old 05-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
    Thisby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
    Re: My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.........

Darkstranger definitely has a poor opinion of the practice, but that is NOT a good attitude to have. It's important that everyone have regular medical check-ups and for women it means an annual gyn exam (men get the wonderful prostate exam). If you want to be mature and responsible, you'll have it done. The first one is a little scary but only because it's a fear of the unknown.

That said, 15 might be a little on the young side (I've always heard rule of thumb to be 18 or sexually active), but that is no reason not to go. Maybe you should ask your mom if there's any particular reason she's having you go. Maybe she's just getting a head start on when you might decide to become sexually active (if you aren't already). This way you already know what to do, who to see, etc. Getting this kind of thing out of the way in advance can be a great way of avoiding a very uncomfortable situation down the road and could actually be considered very kind of her.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
    Danielle_Bowen

Danielle_Bowen HB User

I am not sexually active and I dont wanna be. I am also very helthy down in my vagina area. I asked her and she says all girls my age viset the GYN doctor for exams.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:12 AM   #6
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

Danielle, I went to the GYN when I was 17 and I wasn't sexually active and he did not give me an exam. I went and talked to him about heavy menstral bleeding and he put me on birth control to help it. The Doctor probably won't look at you because you are so young and aren't sexually active. He might ask you some questions about if you have abnormal or heavy bleeding so on and such. But even if he does give you an exam (which I don't think he/she will) it really isn't that bad. Just think...this person does this everyday of their lives and it isn't something they haven't seen before. I don't think yours is any more special than anyone elses that he/she will remember it. LoL (Not saying that you aren't special) Like Thisby and Toms said, it is to keep you healthy. I had a problem and I thought I was fine and my gyno found it and took care of it before it became cancerous. The first time is scary but it only gets easier. Best wishes. Let us know how it goes!

Old 05-18-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
    Danielle_Bowen

Danielle_Bowen HB User

But i am goina make myself go. I wanna know if my vagina is healthy and i do need a urin test i havent had one in a long time. I dont like the idea of undressing and i have always hated thoes exam gowns. But being naked on a doctors table is better than having cancer. It will be weird haveing my privets checked but i will live...........

Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

There you go girl! That is a great way to look at it. It will only get easier. I mean it's never comfortable to go let a stranger look at you but it won't be like the first time either where your heart is pounding and stuff. Just think to yourself that they do this a hundred times a day and it will help some. Best wishes!

Old 05-18-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
    tslask

Re: My mother just made my first appoiment at a GYN doctor and I am nervious.........

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thisby
    Darkstranger definitely has a poor opinion of the practice, but that is NOT a good attitude to have. It's important that everyone have regular medical check-ups and for women it means an annual gyn exam (men get the wonderful prostate exam). If you want to be mature and responsible, you'll have it done. The first one is a little scary but only because it's a fear of the unknown.

That said, 15 might be a little on the young side (I've always heard rule of thumb to be 18 or sexually active), but that is no reason not to go. Maybe you should ask your mom if there's any particular reason she's having you go. Maybe she's just getting a head start on when you might decide to become sexually active (if you aren't already). This way you already know what to do, who to see, etc. Getting this kind of thing out of the way in advance can be a great way of avoiding a very uncomfortable situation down the road and could actually be considered very kind of her.

What exactly do they do for a prostate exam?

Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #10
    beezkneez
    (female)

beezkneez HB User

I think, I am not totally sure but I think they stick their finger up your rectum and press against the prostate. Not too fun!

Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
    wondertwin44

wondertwin44 HB User

I was scared the first time I went. I was 17 and went with a friend of mine who was 16. We were both sexually active and wanted to get on birth control. There certainly are things I would have rather been doing, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. It is all part of being a woman. The first time is really the worst because you don't know what to expect. It will get easier afterwards. I always treat myself to a little something afterwards. Since my annual is in summer, it is usually ice cream. Personally, I think it is nice that your mother talks to you about this and you don't have to have the awkward "Mom, I need to go to the GYNO" discussion. You will be fine. Just remember to relax. Good luck!
    Game over. I had to accept the fact that in life some women are simply better and no amount of shoes or lack of pastry or making of pies will change that. I will never be the woman with the perfect hair who can wear white and not spill on it and chair committees and write thank you notes. And I can't feel bad about that.
    Carrie, ~SATC~

Old 05-19-2004, 05:23 PM   #12
    Danielle_Bowen

Danielle_Bowen HB User

I had the exam......... I was really embarising and weird but I am cancer free . My GYN doctor was nice she also gave me a enama because I was constapated. She was gential with the vagina exam. She said I had a yeast infection and gave me cream.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Well although some people really put me down I'm glad to hear all went well. If you're not too protective of your body, if at all, then the exam might go smoothly for you. But, to everyone who flamed me, I am wearing what I like to call an invisible chastity belt with a lock that will never be opened. It's called my dignity.

But enough about me. Danielle, I'm happy to hear that you're healthy as an ox

Dark Stranger

Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM   #14
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danielle_Bowen
    I am not sexually active and I dont wanna be. I am also very helthy down in my vagina area. I asked her and she says all girls my age viset the GYN doctor for exams.
    I don't see why she scheduled you an appointment then unless she is paranoid you will become sexually active and she wants to put you on bc. I have heard that the age has been raised to 21 before u need to go unless you are sexually active or have problems.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #15
    always

always HB User

from what i understand around the age of 18 they like you to start yearlys... unless you have a problem earlier... [i went when i was 17 because i had an ovarian cyst] and if you would decide to become sexually active, you should visit prior to that... you can go as young as 14... but i don't think it is neccisary to go that young...

Closed Thread