It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

bf of 9 months moving

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
strawbabble
(female)

strawbabble HB User
bf of 9 months moving

Hi, I just wanted to get the opinion from anyone that has been in my situation or just anyone that would like to comment. My boyfriend of 9 months is moving away before our Senior year. He's moving to NY and I live in Ohio, so it's like a 10 hour drive. I want to know what someone would do in my situation, I love him so much and I really don't want to be friends, but I hear so many bad things about long distant relationships and don't know if this will work being so far away. We will both be able to visit each other during the school year, but not for long and not very often. Thanks again and I appreciate the comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User
Re: bf of 9 months moving

Long distance can work but it is very hard like you mentioned. The best way to approach these things is confidence and trust. You can not let any of this fail or you both will fail.

This isn't like you are both not going to see each other because you mentioned that you can during the school year. It is a long distance but can be done.

What are your plans after your senior year? What are his? Why is he moving?

Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
strawbabble
(female)

strawbabble HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball61
What are your plans after your senior year? What are his? Why is he moving?
His father works with Coors (yes the beer company) will not give his dad a VP job and the job in NY (an Icecream company) will give him a VP job with higher pay. It's not like moving is not normal for my boyfriend, he's moved 12 times in 17 years. I just never thought it could happen again because his parents promised him and his siblings it wouldn't. But obviously it has. He doesn't know what his college plans are yet. My plan are going to college in Ohio, and I have no intentions of chasing him to college and I made him promise not to chase me to college. I guess we'll see where things go, but I'd still like to hear from people in long distant relationships.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
besafe20
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

How old are you? Your in highschool right? Trust me not many people stay with their highschool sweethearts even though they think they are "in love". You guys are going to eventually break up anyways especially when you guys go to college. In college it is nearly impossible to maintain a long distance relationship if the person is someone you went to highschool with. You will lose many friends too, as you all go your seperate ways. College is a good place to make long lasting friendships and meet guys. I really wouldn't stress since you guys are so young. I am 21 and could never imagine being in a long distance relationship with someone so far away when I was in highschool.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:05 AM   #5
Hoop
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hoop HB UserHoop HB User

It's unfortunate that the some families find it important and necessary to move that many times to satisfy their careers. It seem that there is no stability for the sons and daughters that are still dependent on their parents and have to uproot evertime they have to move. But that is just me. At some point I would think the career oriented individual would make a decision that would really benefit how the kids feel. I am not saying it is good or bad. I'm just saying these decisions don't always benefit the kids as much as they think they do.

Vice President huh!

I always aspired to be Vice President of something!... Hey! It could happpen!

I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix!. former V.P. Dan Quayle
Im happy to be in this GREAT state of Chicago! yep..same guy!

HOOP! ( is back!.. I may have been spanked, but I haven't lost my funny!)

Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbabble
My plan are going to college in Ohio, and I have no intentions of chasing him to college and I made him promise not to chase me to college.

Ok, so you both have no plans in chasing each other but at 18 your desicions are free and if he see a good college in your area then let him go. Just in the next year it will be tough but if you guys can make it through it then let him move back.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
inloveJAA

inloveJAA HB User

Hey, im sure you probably already got enough answers, but I just wanted to let you know that my boyfriend of 8 months just moved to NY also, and I live in Indiana. It is an extremely long drive, but for the time being all I know is that I love him and he loves me, and when its true love, no distance can change that. I plan to see him at least once a month....

All I can tell you is that if you really love him, just try long distance and see how it works for you two. every couple is different. But FYI a lot of long distance relationships DO work out! Yours might be one of them

Old 07-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #8
BraVe1
Inactive

BraVe1 HB User

just thought id add my answer, i was in the same situation. My g/f that i loved moved away (only an hour drive) but we couldnt see each other much. We probably would still be together cause we kept in touch like every day but i thought we were broke up so i got another g/f -.-;; anyways it can work out if you keep in touch and even if you only see each other once a year it has a chance.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:18 PM   #9
strawbabble
(female)

strawbabble HB User

thank you everyone for your comments they are helping me deal with him moving. I really appreciate both sides everyone has given me. If anyone has more to offer, please add!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:20 AM   #10
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
thank you everyone for your comments they are helping me deal with him moving. I really appreciate both sides everyone has given me. If anyone has more to offer, please add!

So any new updates?

Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
James44_20
Inactive

James44_20 HB User

I think you live too far apart and should probably just break it up and remain friends and maybe discuss going to the same college or something and see what happens. As for those who say that highschool relationships are dumb and that people only think they're in love should go away. They aren't that way and I know many who are married to their high school sweetheart. I started dating my girlfriend in high school and now 4 years later still am and will be getting married within the next few years.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #12
strawbabble
(female)

strawbabble HB User

We're going to try and work it out, we have gotten webcamera to see each other when we can not actaully see each other

Old 08-05-2004, 08:07 AM   #13
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
We're going to try and work it out, we have gotten webcamera to see each other when we can not actaully see each other

Hey thats a good start and I do wish the best for you....Don't forget to keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:29 AM   #14
strawbabble
(female)

strawbabble HB User

Well he moved and it's hard. We never really discusses what the long distance relationship would be like because we both never wanted to talk about it and now I've learned that he wants me to keep an open mind incase someone that I'm meant to be with comes along, all the while staying with him and he's going to do the same. He just doesn't want me to be too attached. I'm still confused as to what he means but I'm trying to understand

Old 09-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #15
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Well he moved and it's hard. We never really discusses what the long distance relationship would be like because we both never wanted to talk about it and now I've learned that he wants me to keep an open mind incase someone that I'm meant to be with comes along, all the while staying with him and he's going to do the same. He just doesn't want me to be too attached. I'm still confused as to what he means but I'm trying to understand

He doesn't want you to loose out if someone comes. You both are still together and able to make it work. It will be hard but can be done. Trust is the main factor here and alot will needed inorder to make this work. We are here anytime that you wanna talk

Closed Thread