It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

Career Choice

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
Andrew29
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Question Career Choice

I need some advice on my career choice. I have an interest in getting into a career related to sales. However, my personality doesn't match it. I'm not as outgoing as I think I need to be. I wouldn't consider myself shy, but I can't make conversation with everyone. Should I continue on this career path or should I look for something else. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
bluetooth
Veteran

bluetooth HB User
Re: Career Choice

not all people have the right characteristics for their job however when they enter that profession they develop them so dont worry about that. being that environment anyway will expose you to more people so it will encourage you to talk more. it normally helps if you fit the criteria needed but dont get too hung up about that, im a really shy person but my job involves alot of talking which ive adapted too quite well.
Id just say follow your heart and your ambition and do what job you feel suits you and your needs/desires.

hope it works out for you

Old 07-27-2004, 05:50 AM   #3
MandyAnne26
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

You would be amazed at how much your personality, shyness can change when your in a situation where it needs to. A few years ago when i was in school for massage therapy i was very shy before hand, i wasn't sure how i would handle massaging other people, being massaged etc...at first i was nervious, but i got over it and it was fine, then we started working on actual clients, strangers, and the first few times i was probably a babbling idiot, but i got over it and am a much less shy person because of it. Just get out there and do it, you don't need to have amazing conversation with everybody, just know the product you are talking about and be nice and easy to approach. Eventually the skills will come if you are open to it. Focus on what you do know and the skills you have, not what you don't have...it will come in time.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
eightball61
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Should you take that path??? Yes, why not....

I wasn't that shy at your age but when I was 18 I went in to sales and that was my first time dealing one on one with customers. You can take classes in college for a business degree and they will help how to talk to customers.

Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Lance2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lance2 HB UserLance2 HB UserLance2 HB User

Hey bud, there are alot of things to consider here. I just got done taking a college class on Career Development and loved it. Certainly in order for you to be successful in a job you'll need to enjoy it. Each of us has different "gifts" that we bring to employment and sometimes we just have to be matched really good for the job we've chosen. I don't know how old you are (not asking) but if you're still in school your guidance counselor should have lots of information available. In college there are career development or employment services available as well. You can do some really cool things on line as well. There are personality tests that will often help you figure out the best options. I'd suggest doing some web searches on Career Development and personality. You might find something like Holland Code, Keirsey Temperment Scale, The Holland-O'Shea scale or other sites that will help you figure things out. Good luck and follow your dreams as they change as well, I'm not doing anything today near what I planned to do while I was in HS...

Closed Thread