It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• What do you think dreams are?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
    Shadowdogg77

Shadowdogg77 HB User
    What do you think dreams are?

I had this dream where I was being chased on the high stone pillar things ina a castle.I had to jump to get to the next one.Well, in my dream one way or another by blondie was playing.When I woke up my radio was playing that song.Do you think my mind somehow had a dream relating closely to the song, or I had the dream and coincidentally the song in it was playing on my radio?Dreams are very weird for me, and not alot of them make sense.Maybe dreams come from that part of your mind that isnt in use yet.You actually only use about half of you brain, the other half is a mystery to what it is for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
    Marty286

Marty286 HB User
    Re: What do you think dreams are?

I love dreams! I think its all subconcious stuff... and i'm certainly no expert! But if you were asleep and the radio woke you up with that song then i could understand.... Sometimes if i think about something say.... Oh i really like that song... It will come on the radio! Its very spoooooky

Old 08-18-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
    The only name not taken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The only name not taken HB User

In this instance, you were in an altered state of consciousness where your brain was still dreaming, yet your auditory cortex was more active then usual. In short, you were lightly sleepin and you picked up the music in the background and your brain simply added to your brain.

As for the meaning of dreams. We really dont know what causes them. Some ppl think they are an abstract reaction of previous experiences. Others think they are mental manifestation of aspects of your life (eg, Hopes / Fears)

Personally, I just think they're a really cool mental picture. Sorta like a game or TV - Just alot more complex.

Oh, and "You actually only use about half of you brain, the other half is a mystery to what it is for". Thats cos the right hemisphere of your brain is responcible for creativity. So the left side of your brain really has no use in fictional dreams.

Last edited by The only name not taken; 08-18-2004 at 02:49 AM.

Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Dreams are a wierd thing and they tell us hidden stuff to my belief. As to waking up to the song though you may have heard it but not awake and you brain was recording what it was hearing and putting it into your dream. Its a wierd thing but cant be explained....

Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #5
    Spork
    (male)

Spork HB User

dreams are so weird...specialy when your drunk.. last night I dream everyone got there eyebrow peirced... so I got ****** and ripped mine out.. and my best friend was making out with my sister?

Old 08-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
    butterflyz87

butterflyz87 HB User

dreams can sometimes predict things...it's very weird...and has happened to me. Go to [url]www.dreammoods.com[/url]

Old 08-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #7
    ALonelyOctober
    Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User

Once I had a dream that I scanned my computer for adware (geeky dream) and there was 85 adware. The next day I scanned it and there was 58.

Old 08-19-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
    msmars5188
    (female)

msmars5188 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadowdogg77
    I had this dream where I was being chased on the high stone pillar things ina a castle.I had to jump to get to the next one.Well, in my dream one way or another by blondie was playing.When I woke up my radio was playing that song.Do you think my mind somehow had a dream relating closely to the song, or I had the dream and coincidentally the song in it was playing on my radio?Dreams are very weird for me, and not alot of them make sense.Maybe dreams come from that part of your mind that isnt in use yet.You actually only use about half of you brain, the other half is a mystery to what it is for.
    Just the type of question for a psychology buff to answer (muhahaha). Ok, so you were probably in a low level of the dream stage of your sleep cycle and a lot of times you can hear things going on around you (ie: a person talking to you or pushing you to try to wake you up) and they are thought to be part of the dream. Actually, a radio or tv will disrupt your sleep cycle and can actually cause you to not get into the deep sleep stages, which will cause you to be tired the following day. Dreams are actually your subconcious mind expressing things. Certain things or fears that you have will manifest into something in your dream and, also, a lot of things in dreams are symbols. and once and for all, I'm going to explain why the MYTH that people only use half of their brain is completely FALSE. You have 2 sides to your brain; the left does things like mathematics and the right is the more creative part of your brain and people seem to be either right or left "brained". BUT, this doesnt mean that you only used half of your brain, you use ALL 100% OF YOUR BRAIN. You dont use all of it at the same time, but every part of your brain is used... unless of course you go through a certain operation to remove one side of your brain due to extreme seizures brought on by epilepsy, which in that case your remaining brain actually has to retrain itself to do the tasks for both sides. That surgery isnt done unless its an extreme case and you are under the age of like 10, otherwise it usually doesnt work very well. But, back to the topic, i looked up "castle" in my dream dictionary (yes, i have a dream dict, so sue me) and here is what it said verbatim: "if you are in one, you will have enough wealth to satisfy your every wish. You will travel extensively and meet people from many nations," and stone is, "many confusions and failures. To throw a stone indicates you will reprimand someone." I hope soem of that helped.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #9
    brown_eyed_girl

brown_eyed_girl HB User

I love dreams too! I think dreams are your deepest thoughts... or fears! One of my biggest fears are tornadoes... I literally always DREAM about tornadoes coming after my house or something... I also fear killers and I always have dreams that people are coming after me trying to kill me... and I fall and I can't get up and run! ...I guess you couldn't really call these dreams! More like NIGHTMARES!

I also have dreams of things that are playing on the TV while I'm sleeping... Like, I'll be dreaming and I wake up and the voices and things going on in my dream is what the TV is saying... IDK, its weird...

Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
    DarkDaring&Chic

DarkDaring&Chic HB User

A little off-topic but I thought this was cool... in Japan they've invented this machine you put by your bed. You record words or short phrases, even sounds (like the ocean or a car engine etc) and the machine will play them periodically throughout the night while you sleep... so you can control your dreams! You're not literally sitting there telling yourself what to dream about, but say you went to sleep and started dreaming of the school dance next Friday evening. The machine spouts out the name of your crush (because you recorded it) and suddenly the dream switches over to that, your crush walking up to you, asking you to dance or something lovely like that. It's a really neat invention, I heard it's getting on with businessmen rather well, as they use them to induce sleep while traveling and such.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
    msmars5188
    (female)

msmars5188 HB User

P.S-- A nightmare is just another name for a scary dream. If you have a fear of something and it is constantly appearing in your dream, then that fear is a symbol for something. If you think about someone or something all day long then a lot of times it will appear in your dream that night. Like i said before, the sounds from the tv and radio interfere with you sleep cycle, thus causing you to be in a low level of the dream stage where you can hear things around you. You also dont sleep very well when this happens. Ever wonder why you feel so tired after getting 8 hours of sleep when your tv was on all night? I love my dream dictionary and bring it with me on trips so i can look up dreams. I went to the beach for a week in july and i had been having these wierd dreams for a couple of weeks, prior to my going on vacation, about my mom and i was trying to figure out the meaning because they were very similar (and in some cases nearly identical), so the dream dictionary got to go to the beach too! Yeah, i know what you're thinking, but all i can say in my defense is that when you're a future psychologist these kinds of things interest you.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #12
    DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet HB User
    Post Re: What do you think dreams are?

The most logical explanation is that the brain cannot be dormant (at least for very long). So when you are required to sleep, you begin to dream, or experience REM sleep. Several dream types:
    Disaster dreams: Losing your kids, being on a crashing airplane, any sort of disaster. This is presumably to prepare for those situations if you are ever in them.
    Logical dreams: This usually occurs when you had a problem when you went to bed (engine compression not correct, computer crashes randomly, wiring in the house is funky, whatever). Your mind continues to work on this problem while sleeping, and usually by morning you have the answer. (Altho sometimes you wake up in the middle of the night with the answer!)
    Happy dreams: You live out your favorite fantasies or most wanted wishes. This is generally the area of dreaming that psychologists focus on... and it is usually the type that makes the least sense. You are in a lightsaber duel with the sith lord, he kicks you and suddenly you are kissing your ex-girlfriend in someplace you've never been.
    Memory dreams: Recollection of past events, usually recalls events you probably couldn't remember awake. Psychologists also like this type of dream.

Mixed in with these, are the partial waking dreams... where something from outside influences the dream. I had a dream one time where I was falling off a cliff, and it felt like I fell for minutes. I woke up when I hit the floor. This is a "disaster" mixed in with the partial waking dreams.

Closed Thread