It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• The fainting game

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
    elecchic1022
    (female)

elecchic1022 HB User
    The fainting game

Hi all,

I am a mother of a 13 year old girl who played the fainting game alone in her room last night. She passed out and knocked a few things on her floor, but says that she is not hurt, or anything.

I have read up on it, and it sounds like it can be played with more than one person, or alone. But, that it can be dangerous or fatal.

We have a stable family, and she is an A student, and even calls herself a "band dork". This whole thing surprises me because she is not a follower, and very headstrong.

I am confused that she would take such a risk, while earlier in the day, she was looking to get more independence. This only makes me feel like I have to watch her every move, like she were 3 years old again.

I had never heard of this game, and I was wondering how many of you have heard of it, and how many have played this game, or if you know someone who has played this game and was or was not hurt in anyway.

Thanks ahead to all who reply.

Signed,
    A Concerned Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User
    Re: The fainting game

You both should not be playing this. The game can cause brain damage and even has caused dealth. I cant explain her actions but when you are board with a friend find something better to do. If you want to be daring then play weegee board game instead. This game you just ask questions and something from beyond will answer.....But dont hurt yourselves.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
    elecchic1022
    (female)

elecchic1022 HB User

Thanks eightball61,

I researched information on the web about this game today, as I am not involved in this game at all. I am the 42 year old mother of this 13 year old, who was wondering how many on this board know about this game, and just how dangerous it can be.

It would appear that mostly it is played with 2 people. My daughter made herself pass out while she was ALONE. This is what scares me.

Thanks for your input,
    A Concerned Mom

Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

I've heard of it. I had a couple of friends who used to do it. It's been years since I have ever heard of anyone doing the "fainting game." My friends were never hurt from it. I think young teens do it as a rush. I think it's exciting for them. There's no doubt it is somewhat of a dangerous 'game.' I now have hypotension and I faint all the time now when rising from a seated or lying down position. I don't blame you for worrying. I would be too. I'd be concerned that your daughter hits her head when falling. Express your concerns to your daughter. Contrary to popular belief, kids do listen to their parents (eventually). I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Have you thought about counseling???? I am 22 and have seen this game done when I was 16 and my friend had to go to the hospital.

Has she stated why she did it? If she was bored then she has to find more stuff to do around the house.

Last edited by eightball61; 08-26-2004 at 11:23 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
    elecchic1022
    (female)

elecchic1022 HB User

Mystiq86,
    I am going to talk to her today after school. I have printed out some news articles about this "game" from the web.

I was asleep when this happened, and her father was the one who heard her fall, and went into her room to see what happened. He said she looked dazed, and shocked. Also, she was nervously shaking.

I didn't even know about it until early this morning when I saw that one of her candle jars was broken. When I asked her about it, she told me about making herself pass out. That she had heard about it from her friends at school. She said it scared the daylights out of her. She did not use anything around her neck; just bent over and held her breath, then stood up fast, and boom, down she went. Luckily without a scratch.

The school bus was waiting for her, so our conversation had to end there, but I will pick it back up when she gets home.
    Thanks for your reply.

Eightball61,

I think that she may have been bored because she was grounded from the computer last night for not doing her chores. Her homework was done, etc. I have yet to ask her what in the world would have possessed her to do this. Maybe it is simple childhood curiousity, but I did consider calling her guidance couselor, but my husband thinks that I am overreacting.
    Sorry to hear about your friend, but now you know why I am so upset about this today. She has NEVER done anything like this and would never consider suicide. Her "uncle" (actually a family friend) did, and it has scarred her, and she knows the pain that would bring to her family.
    Thanks again.

Last edited by elecchic1022; 08-26-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elecchic1022

Eightball61,

I think that she may have been bored because she was grounded from the computer last night for not doing her chores. Her homework was done, etc. I have yet to ask her what in the world would have possessed her to do this. Maybe it is simple childhood curiousity, but I did consider calling her guidance couselor, but my husband thinks that I am overreacting.
    Sorry to hear about your friend, but now you know why I am so upset about this today. She has NEVER done anything like this and would never consider suicide. Her "uncle" (actually a family friend) did, and it has scarred her, and she knows the pain that would bring to her family.
    Thanks again.
    You are not over-reacting...she could have died if noone came to her aid. I am sure she did it out of curiousity and may have learned from it but you can't change it. Next time you ground her do it so she is out of room. Its hard because if she did this out of boardom this is showing "how can we ground a child if they are going to hurt themselves."

Last edited by eightball61; 08-26-2004 at 11:46 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
    ihaveafewq's

ihaveafewq's HB User

How long does she stay passed out, on average?

Old 08-27-2004, 05:33 AM   #9
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihaveafewq's

I have read up more onto this and I dont know about an average but it best that someone be around when this is happening. Someone who does this game need counseling after because people can die from it and causes brain damage.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:52 AM   #10
    whiteluluflower
    Veteran
    (female)

whiteluluflower HB User

My sister did that b4, 1 time.. with friends.... on a cement sidewalk... she fell... no one caught her. she got a nice swollen closed shut black eye... nice huh? she NEVER did it again, she doesn't even know why she did it...she admitted hweself.. that 'game' is a very stupid thing to do....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:44 AM   #11
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

elecchic1022 , How did the conversation go with your daughter last night? what does your husband still think?

Old 08-27-2004, 07:10 AM   #12
    elecchic1022
    (female)

elecchic1022 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihaveafewq's
    She only did this once, and my husband said that it was about 15 seconds for her to answer the door.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    She only did this once, and my husband said that it was about 15 seconds for her to answer the door.

Its a good thing though that she was able to get up and answer the door. How did she here about this game?

Last edited by eightball61; 08-27-2004 at 07:12 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:20 AM   #14
    elecchic1022
    (female)

elecchic1022 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightball61
    elecchic1022 , How did the conversation go with your daughter last night? what does your husband still think?
    It went very well. I printed out 4 different news articles that I found on the web, and had her read them over.

She had no idea the dangers involved. When I asked her why she would even try it, she said that the kids at school said it is hard to do alone, and that they didn't know anyone who had passed out from it.

I cornered her on the "rush" she would get from it. Told her it was the same as a drugless high. She seemed surprised that I would even know this!

Long and short of it, the whole thing scared her half to death, and I don't think she will do it again.

I think that my husband may be right, and from what I have read, it is normal for teenagers to take risks, eventhough she didn't know it was a risk to her life. So I have talked to her about risk-taking, and that to talk to me first about stuff like this.

I think her scare, combined with the knowledge of the dangers was enough to put this to rest (for her), though I will be keeping a sharp eye on her.

Thanks for everyone's input, I sure do appreciate it!

Last edited by elecchic1022; 08-27-2004 at 07:23 AM.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:29 AM   #15
    eightball61
    Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
    I think that my husband may be right, and from what I have read, it is normal for teenagers to take risks, eventhough she didn't know it was a risk to her life. So I have talked to her about risk-taking, and that to talk to me first about stuff like this.
    You are right about teens and the risk taking factor but as a parent these things should be addressed. You handled the situation nicely and hopefully she doesn't do it again. Many teens try stuff just for the sake that they are pressured, feel grown up, or just want to be part of the crowd. The problem is they dont know the danger of something til afterwards. I am proud of your actions and take care.

Closed Thread