It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Tonsillectomy for Teenagers - The Facts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2004, 06:07 AM   #1
    hannahpatricia
    (female)

hannahpatricia HB User
    Angry Tonsillectomy for Teenagers - The Facts

Before I had my tonsillectomy, I looked on the net for what to expect after the operation. I had searched the web for information on teenage tonsillectomy and couldn't find a single thing.I read all the childrens tonsillectomy advice, as a 14 year old I thought maybe I fall into this category.Not too bad I thought. How wrong was I....

I had my tonsillectomy on September 19th of this year which was a Sunday.I woke up in immense pain and couldn't speak. The next morning (Day 1) I felt a lot better and was really glad.I slept well that night. The next day, I felt like I had tonsilitis, which wasn't bad because that is what I expected.I could only just eat. Tuesday (Day 2) I woke up and was in more pain, I now felt like I had really bad tonsillitis.Managed to struggle through the day eating little amounts. Wednesday (Day 3) Woke up, the pain was unbearable.
    I cried loads which only made the pain worse but I couldn't help it.
    Swallowing the painkillers was worse, it was like swallowing drawing pins.
    By this day the hunger was also setting in. Thursday (Day 4) Another tearful morning.By now I had had enough. I wished I had never had it done. The pain was just so immense.I discovered that eating ice-cream really hurt my throat.
    Friday (Day 5)Nothing prepared me for Friday night - The pain was worse than Thursday and Wednesday put together.My whole throat swelled up, I could taste blood, I was just sitting there balling by eyes as the pain was just immense.I had shooting pains in my ears.
    I had to prepare myself for everytime I swallowed because each time I swallowed it was like I was swallowing fire.My mum took me to the emergency doctor and the doctor suspected they may have got infected and prescribed me some antibiotics - penacillin.They didn't really work.
    I didn't sleep a wink that night, as lying on my side really really hurt my throat and I can't sleep on my back,also breathing hurt. Saturday (Day 6) was just as bad, I simply couldn't eat anything and I was very tired and weak.
    I had to try and eat in the evening and the first time I swallowed - wow I'll never forget that pain.You just don't know what to do, you can't think, theres no way out. I became so low. Sunday(Day 7) morning was horrible but I could just about eat a few spoonfuls on Wheatabix.That must have done me some good because Sunday afternoon I perked up quite a bit and the pain wasn't so bad.I even managed to go out to my Nans with my family-the first time I'd been out all week. I also managed to eat a small meal, though It took me a long time. I was really happy.Monday, yesterday, (Day 8) back to how I was, immense pain, low, tired. I couldn't eat all morning.At lunchtime I managed to get a small plain sandwhich down me, which took me over an hour to eat,but I knew it was essential because the more you eat the quicker you will get better. Mum bought me some 'Complan' - a nutritious drink, because she was concerned about how little I was eating.At dinnertime, I couldnt eat, each swallow reduced me to tears. By Monday evening, I had perked up again and I was able to eat some Tuna. The change between a few hours was amazing but I had taken alot of different painkillers.Today (Day 9) I woke up with a sore throat but It was nothing compared with the previous days.Now it is lunchtime and although I have a sore throat, it is mild and I can eat with bigger mouthfuls now. I don't feel as low and now know I am on the road to full recovery.

I can honestly say, that this has been the worst week of my life so far. In total I lost 1 stone in weight.

painkillers used: standard paracetomol, diclofenac

I hope some of this will be useful to any teenager considering having a tonsillectomy,
    I hope I haven't put anyone off.
    I am yet to expreience the benefits of the operation as it is early days but I may post another message to talk about improvements.
    If anyone wants any questions answered or any advice, just ask. Nothing on the web helped me at all so I decided that maybe I could help. I suppose its because tonisillectomy isn't usually done in teenagers, its usually done in children under 10

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
    LoriGymnast
    (female)

LoriGymnast HB User
    Re: Tonsillectomy for Teenagers - The Facts

Hi,
    If you go on the boards and click on The Open to all Health Related Topics there is a post there about Adult Tonsilectomy and Adenoid Surgery, you'll be able to relate to the people there. They are all different ages and not children. Some of them have had if rough like you and I think you'll find it very helpful because they offer a lot of advice and they are for the most part experiencing the same symptoms as you. I hope this helps. I hope you feel much better and stronger soon.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
    BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE
    Veteran

BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE HB User

Hey! I have a question.. I am really sorry that you have these problems, sounds very painful.. I have had some throat problems but not nearly as bad as yours.. I get these white bumps in the right side of my throat (I can see it if I stick my tongue out far and look down) and it feels like the shell of a popcorn seed is stuck back there or something... well sometimes I can reach it and get it out (kinda hard not to GAG!), but it always causes pain. I used to get them every other week or so, so at least half of the time i had it.. I would use sore throat sprays to numb it when I couldn't stand it.. but my throat would bleed and I would lose my voice sometimes. It would swell up and hurt to swallow and water made it a LOT worse! once I went to the doctor and I had strep throat, another time I went back and I had NOTHING!! so I think the strep was a coincidence... the doctor was like "oh maybe it's allergies"... but just wondering if anybody has had this before and a good way to prevent it! it doesn't happen as much and never bleeds anymore or hurts bad.. but STILL it's annoying! thanks!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:14 AM   #4
    hannahpatricia
    (female)

hannahpatricia HB User

Hello,

This sounds very painful! But is it on your tonsils or on your throat? if It's on your tonsils then it sounds like you may need them removed, and nothing really prevents the white spots from coming back. My tonsil problems were always on the right side too. I had a throat spray and it never really worked on me. I tried removing some of them and it made that area swell up, I think its best to leave them. Sounds like you are having mild tonsillitis every so often, which was the problem i had, and also my tonsils were huge!! So I had mine out, maybe you should consider this, but only if it really really annoys you cos its very painful!!
    However if you don't have tonsils and its on your throat, then I'm not sure why its getting white bumps, I am yet to experience it.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
    BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE
    Veteran

BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE HB User

Yeah I think I kind of have that same problem as you.. b/c throat spray never helped much.. it may numb it for like 1 minute.. then back to normal! Yeah getting the things out made it more swollen.. but sometimes it would help... since I wouldn't feel that thing in there bothering me! Hmm I am not sure if it is on my tonsils or throat... it's hard to tell.. it is on the edge so maybe tonsils?? Not really sure! It's weird.. my doctor never suggested getting them removed!! It probably is my tonsils.. but I guess I will consider removing them if it gets bad again.. it is only every now & then now.. and never that bad! Thanks for you help!

Old 09-30-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
    bambi86

bambi86 HB User

i totally understand your pain! i had my tonsils out just before christams the year before last when i was 16 and i was completly unprepared about how painful it was going to be! when i came round from the operation they had to give me morphine cos i was in so much pain (this made my blood pressure drop but helped me sleep!). i was in hospital 1 night after the op and my first night home i threw up all night after a bad reaction to the painkillers they gave me - which was very painful (they'd given me great big tablets which hurt to swallow). in the end i took neurofen and calpol syrup for kids - much better even then it wore off after a couple of hours and i couldnt take any more until another 2 hours. ok so i dont have permanant tonsilitis anymore but i do still get sore throats and i would never go through all that pain again - ever!

Old 09-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
    hannahpatricia
    (female)

hannahpatricia HB User

Yeh its bad innit! The paracetomel really killed when I tried to swallow it.Even if somebody offered me £10,000 to go through all that again, I woudn't do it.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
    Ms Harriet
    Inactive
    (female)

Ms Harriet HB User

i had mine out last year when i was 18. i didnt have any trouble at all sure it hurt but come on its throat surgery, not a day in the park. im so glad i got them out because before i was ALWAYS sick with throat ear and general colds but now im way healthier!
    just cause you had a bad one doesnt make them all bad
    i got my big toe cut off because of a ingrown toenail, sometimes youre just that one in a million they talk about

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hannahpatricia
    Before I had my tonsillectomy, I looked on the net for what to expect after the operation. I had searched the web for information on teenage tonsillectomy and couldn't find a single thing.I read all the childrens tonsillectomy advice, as a 14 year old I thought maybe I fall into this category.Not too bad I thought. How wrong was I....

I had my tonsillectomy on September 19th of this year which was a Sunday.I woke up in immense pain and couldn't speak. The next morning (Day 1) I felt a lot better and was really glad.I slept well that night. The next day, I felt like I had tonsilitis, which wasn't bad because that is what I expected.I could only just eat. Tuesday (Day 2) I woke up and was in more pain, I now felt like I had really bad tonsillitis.Managed to struggle through the day eating little amounts. Wednesday (Day 3) Woke up, the pain was unbearable.
    I cried loads which only made the pain worse but I couldn't help it.
    Swallowing the painkillers was worse, it was like swallowing drawing pins.
    By this day the hunger was also setting in. Thursday (Day 4) Another tearful morning.By now I had had enough. I wished I had never had it done. The pain was just so immense.I discovered that eating ice-cream really hurt my throat.
    Friday (Day 5)Nothing prepared me for Friday night - The pain was worse than Thursday and Wednesday put together.My whole throat swelled up, I could taste blood, I was just sitting there balling by eyes as the pain was just immense.I had shooting pains in my ears.
    I had to prepare myself for everytime I swallowed because each time I swallowed it was like I was swallowing fire.My mum took me to the emergency doctor and the doctor suspected they may have got infected and prescribed me some antibiotics - penacillin.They didn't really work.
    I didn't sleep a wink that night, as lying on my side really really hurt my throat and I can't sleep on my back,also breathing hurt. Saturday (Day 6) was just as bad, I simply couldn't eat anything and I was very tired and weak.
    I had to try and eat in the evening and the first time I swallowed - wow I'll never forget that pain.You just don't know what to do, you can't think, theres no way out. I became so low. Sunday(Day 7) morning was horrible but I could just about eat a few spoonfuls on Wheatabix.That must have done me some good because Sunday afternoon I perked up quite a bit and the pain wasn't so bad.I even managed to go out to my Nans with my family-the first time I'd been out all week. I also managed to eat a small meal, though It took me a long time. I was really happy.Monday, yesterday, (Day 8) back to how I was, immense pain, low, tired. I couldn't eat all morning.At lunchtime I managed to get a small plain sandwhich down me, which took me over an hour to eat,but I knew it was essential because the more you eat the quicker you will get better. Mum bought me some 'Complan' - a nutritious drink, because she was concerned about how little I was eating.At dinnertime, I couldnt eat, each swallow reduced me to tears. By Monday evening, I had perked up again and I was able to eat some Tuna. The change between a few hours was amazing but I had taken alot of different painkillers.Today (Day 9) I woke up with a sore throat but It was nothing compared with the previous days.Now it is lunchtime and although I have a sore throat, it is mild and I can eat with bigger mouthfuls now. I don't feel as low and now know I am on the road to full recovery.

I can honestly say, that this has been the worst week of my life so far. In total I lost 1 stone in weight.

painkillers used: standard paracetomol, diclofenac

I hope some of this will be useful to any teenager considering having a tonsillectomy,
    I hope I haven't put anyone off.
    I am yet to expreience the benefits of the operation as it is early days but I may post another message to talk about improvements.
    If anyone wants any questions answered or any advice, just ask. Nothing on the web helped me at all so I decided that maybe I could help. I suppose its because tonisillectomy isn't usually done in teenagers, its usually done in children under 10

Old 10-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
    hannahpatricia
    (female)

hannahpatricia HB User

Yeh Im lookin forward to feelin healthier and stuff, but when I think about the pain I was in, its hard not to feel a bit regretful. I hope it makes a big difference. And yeh I had a bad one, which is why I was just warning people considering it, so they know what the worst is like.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #10
    BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE
    Veteran

BoOtYLiCiOuSbAbE HB User

wow you got your big toe cut off? ouch.. do you mean like the ENTIRE toe? and if so.. why didnt they just do the surgery to dig it out like most people get?

Old 10-03-2004, 07:18 PM   #11
    Ms Harriet
    Inactive
    (female)

Ms Harriet HB User

yeah man the entire toe, i did have the dig it out surgery but it got gange green and i had to get the whole thing whacked off....it just goest to show that sometimes you are the one in a million that something goes wrong with your surgery thats supposed to be simple

Closed Thread