It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Mom is more worried about my grades than I am >.<

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Mom is more worried about my grades than I am >.<

Since before I could remember, my mom has always made a big deal out of my grades. Even now, when I am a senior in high school, she still throws little tantrums if they do not meet her standards. Why, just yesterday I received my mid-marking period progress report, and my mom said it was "sickening" because I had an 80 in my math class, when she knows very well I'm terrible in. And then she lectures me almost daily about throwing my life away because I'm dating someone who doesn't have straight A's, and that I'm going to work at Wal-Mart my whole life and blah blah...it goes on and on.

I think the reason why she acts this way goes back to elementary school; she did all my homework for me up until 9th grade. And if I ever forgot to bring something home, she'd scream and hit and fight with everyone and then made me call a friend to borrow a book or what-not because to her, it was the end of the world if I forgot anything at all.

So now she still assumes she does everything for me, which is why she goes completely off her nut if my grades are bad. I have never failed anything (been in failing range, but never finished failing), and I try my absolute hardest, which is why all my other grades are high 80s to high 90s...but to my mom, grades like those mean nothing if I have one slightly lower grade.

I'm really beginning to hate my mom because of her attitude...and she always has to bring my boyfriend into the conversation, complaining about how he will never amount to anything and that he's a waste, etc.

She best stop because I have considered suicide many times as a way to escape her for good, but it has not happened...yet.

Any of you guys have this sort of problem?

Dark Stranger - cannot wait to move out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
    zilea
    (female)

zilea HB User
    Re: Mom is more worried about my grades than I am >.<

That's really not a good situation to be in...Sorry I don't know how to help...
    My parents are a bit funny about grades but nothing like your mum...
    I know this post seems pointless and I'm really sorry...but I'm posting it because I think you might have some form of depression, if you think about suicide. I have depression...it's funny, when I complain mum says, "Why don't you just go and slash your wrists then?" And now I think about slashing my wrists all the time.
    Sorry about this post.
    Zizzi.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:19 AM   #3
    elfrankina
    (female)

elfrankina HB User

hey, im not too familiar with the gradings, so im not too sure what the whole senior thing means, but im guessing its the equivalent of our year 12. neway, yeah, like you, my parents are always pushing me to get better grades, do better at stuff, do more stuff etc. and i know its soo frustrating! but the thing that's sometimes really hard to see is that your mum is pushing u because she wants you to achieve your best, and you know a lot of the time, well most of the time! parents' good intentions get soo off track and they don't have any idea. so i think if you haven't already, just try sit down with your mum, or next time she is nagging at you, just try to explain to her how your feeling. but i know that can be really hard, so if you don't do this, no matter what your mum's opinion means to you, she may not always be right, cos it sounds like your grades are really good, and your bf's not affecting that. so don't let her get you down because even if she doesn't always think your scores are perfect, she is just wanting you 2 b your best, and the most important thing is not let it get to you! good luck with everything, luv nicky

Old 12-18-2004, 03:39 AM   #4
    Oculus
    (male)

Oculus HB User

Grades ARE really important. I sincerely doubt you are trying your "hardest." Highschoolers dont know what hard is. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Tell your mom to back off because her nagging is not helping, and then do better in school because you most likely can.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 AM   #5
    surviva_person
    (female)

surviva_person HB User

WOW! YOUR MOM DID YOUR HOMEWORK TILL 9th GRADE!?!?! lol no offense, but thats awesome! anyway... lol i dont know about what to do. i suk at math too ehe.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
    sleepyChris718
    Inactive
    (male)

sleepyChris718 HB User

my dads like that but not like your mom , she is just worried about you future she just doesnt want you to have the problems she had. she wants you to be a success

Old 01-01-2005, 02:21 AM   #7
    dattebayo
    (male)

dattebayo HB User

I also know how it feels to have parents who seem to care more about my grades... My parents are asian (that probably doesn't make a difference, haha) and math is also my worst subject, whenever I bomb a test and get a C, ugh... Terrible, and I DO try my hardest as well, I don't think anyone WANTS to be a bad student. I'm only a sophomore in HS, but maybe since it's your last year in HS your mom's pushing you? I hope all goes well and Happy New Years.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
    Icantbeperfect
    (female)

Icantbeperfect HB User

My parents worry about my grades too. I just tune them out or i simply dont tell them about the homework i have. And if i get a bad grade (which happens once in awhile) I explain to them that I tried my best but mabye i just dont react to the way the teacher teaches the class, or that its not my best subject. When i tell them that, they always say, "well we can help u". The problem is that I dont want their help. I tell them that i'll get a tutor or have one of my friends help me because otherwise i get in a fight with them if they help me. Just whatever u do, dont commit suicide! (sp?) Thats not going to get u anywhere. And ur mom will feel terrible for the rest of her life for pushing u too far, i know that it sounds like a good revenge plan but if u have good grades it sounds to me like u would be throwing a great life away. Besides no matter how mad u get at ur mom, u still love her, it may not show all that much but u love her and u wouldnt want her to be hurt all her life!

Closed Thread