It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Girls and envy with the media...pls read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User
    Girls and envy with the media...pls read

hey!

well i have question. i always find myself wanting to be like "jennifer Lopez" or "beyonce Knowles"...i mean, u see their videos? they're gorgeuos! i mean, look at their bodies...they're flippin jacked! haha...neways, my point is, is there neone who feels the same way? i always look up excercise crap on the internet and get so obsessed! i try to look like them but i kno its impossible, because i am not one for 300 curls everyday lol. did u see Jlo's new video? like, wow! or "Soldier" by Destiny's Child? Wow, again!

how can i stop myself from envying them SO much!... its not their style, or their music, but its there figure...it makes me unhappy with my body which makes me sad.

by the way, because of the d*** media, i am recovering from an ED which is NOT easy ! especially for a young 14 year old gal who has plans in her life! ugh...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
    Mecpcpj
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mecpcpj HB User
    Re: Girls and envy with the media...pls read

Sure, they have gorgeous bodies and a lot of money but they have no lives! People are constantly chasing these people around town and they have no privacy. They also can't eat a chip without worrying about their waistline.
    You just have to realize that they live in a fantasy world. I mean, everyone in Hollywood is thin but what about the rest of America? Nobody looks like them!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
    MandyAnne26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

You probably already know this but if you eat healthy and exercise than you will look the best for you. Everybody has different body types, therefore with your body type it may be impossible for you to look like them physicaly.
    I think that your envy of them stems from low self esteem or something else going on in your life right now. You need to find a way to be comfortable with your body and the way you look. I hope since your recovering from an ED that you are in counsiling, if you are bring it up. Talk to other girls/women who have ad ED's and how they've delt with the poor body image they have of themselves. If you find yourself constantly thinking about their body than do something to get your mind off of it, call a friend, listen to music, go for a walk etc.
    Everybody is beautiful and unique in their own way....striving to look like someone will only get you into trouble...you look like you...that is the way it is suposed to be. Eat healthy and exercise by going for walks, to the gym or wherever you feel comfortable exercising and that is all you can do.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
    Regina21
    Inactive

Regina21 HB User

I know how your feeling because when I see these models,singers, actors on t.v. I get really self conscious about my body. I can't really do anything about it considering that i'm pregnant. I'm 21 and even when I wasn't pregnant I found myself getting a little "jealous" when I saw these women shaking their thangs all over the t.v. I have to change the channel quickly if I so much as see Mya. (my fiance's fav. singer) It's not that I don't think I have low self esteem because I do know i'm beautiful and being hispanic I was born to have curves. What makes me jealous is the way guys drool and gaga over them. Seeing that makes me think that's what they want...that's what they are attracted to. Lol* I still try and glance out of the corner of my eye when there's a pretty gal on t.v. just to see the expression on my fiance's face. And Im sure he finds them beautiful and sexy...but i mean...it's not like he's ever gonna get a chance with one of them lol* He tells me I'm beautiful, but with everything that's on t.v...I know it's hard. What I hate the most is when their doing interviews and they say "i'm just like every body else"...um....okay sure. I'd love and I mean LOVE to see on t.v. a girl like on t.v. in the media representing 145lbs+, girls with curves, girls that are considered "big boned," girls that are proud and love their bodies and every curve (And i mean CURVE...not this tiny lil thing) God gave them. I honestly don't think there is a girl/woman out there like that today.

Last edited by Regina21; 01-12-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

haha yeh, i totally agree with u. a guy from my school actually went to a hilary duff concert...and he doesnt even like her music..aha i found that quite humurous. i just always have to tell myself they spend thousands of dollars just on trainers, and chef's and such...its literally impossible!

Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
    Kootie Pie
    (female)

Kootie Pie HB User

thousands on chefs an trainers..... you mean thousands to look the way they do.
    all you're seeing (mostly) is a bunch of plastic and a little nip nip tuck tuck here and there. They're not REAL
    I wouldn't be bothered by them
    When I was younger I thought the same thing (I'm 21 now) but now I look at them and half of them are just plastic. Everyone knows that, some people make fun of them on tv. I guess if ya wanna look like them, eat right, get exercise, buy a push up bra(if you're a little small like me) and you know they sell hair extensions now (even in a drug store) I'm sure they have curly ones there. Then your all set!!

I wouldn't fret over it, keep in mind they are on tv(movies) , you can do amazing things to 'enhance' or make things 'appear to be'.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

haha! ur funny..thanks!

Old 01-14-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
    Kootie Pie
    (female)

Kootie Pie HB User

No problem, i like to give advice.
    i'm not too much older than most on here, and I've been through most things so....
    anyway i can help.
    and trust try to enjoy life and have fun. don't worry what other people think cause to tell you the truth, when you get older, no one cares anymore about that stuff

take care!
    Jewelz

Old 01-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #9
    teko2000
    (female)

teko2000 HB User

Hi Sammy,

What your going threw is normal. I dont get it because most american teens are like this. they see mtv and models and think...i need to be like that to be attractive. well guess what.. those people have had many surgeries, work out 24/7. Also allot of the pictures are air brushed and slimmed up. Funny because america is one of the fattest contries in the world you would think it would be in to be over weight. hahahha

I would just eat healthy excersise and find ways to make you happy. Its so easy to compare yourself with stars, friends and models but the truth is you have to work with what YOU have. Your not Jennifer Lopez your you. so make yourself feel good and be healthy. I remember my mom always tells me work with what you got honey. whatever you like about yourself focus on that and work on other things. Eat good foods, youll feel better and really consintrate on yourself as you would the stars you admire. pick out everything you love about yourself and just work on the things you think you need to but in a healthy way. Ive seen very over weight women who dress nice, look beautiful and like themselves have tons of friends and men who go nuts about them. its all attatude baby!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread