It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Heeelp! Im too shy to do an oral presentation in front of my whole year

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
    SteveV330

SteveV330 HB User
    Heeelp! Im too shy to do an oral presentation in front of my whole year

Well i recently found out that the speaking + listening goes towards 20% of my gcse english!

One major problem..i am EXTREMELY nervous when it comes to any form of public speaking. I would seriously rather fail my english that be forced to do the speech.

If a teacher asks me to read anything in class (even if its just a few lines long), my voice uncontrollably goes really weird after a few seconds. My voice seems to break and change pitch (its hard to explain - my voice just completely changes). I find it hard to breathe and my throat feels strange. I can feel my face going red and i just wish i could be any place in the world than there. I think i have some kind of medical problem, but i've searched google for it and i found something called "nervous tics", which relates more to spasms rather than speaking problems. But it does say that this can contract muscles in ur neck or something like that which can lead to speaking problems. The annoying thing is, no one else has this problem. If we go round the class reading a book for example, everyone else just reads it without any problems, some even read pages of a book in front of the class. Then when it comes to my turn i say something like "i dont wanna read", or if its only a sentence or 2 long i'll read it. My voice is normal when im not reading in front of a class.

But with this speech i really dont have a choice to read or not, and this isnt just one class, its the whole year (100-150 people)! As if doing a speech for 5 minutes wasnt enough, people need to ask me questions afterwards which i'll need to answer. So everyone will be listening to every word i say and i just cant do it!! I used to be ok speaking in front of a class, but as i've got older i've been getting more nervous and now im at the point where i really cant take it anymore. I'm now 15, i started getting shy when i was around 11-12. What can i do?!

Plz help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
    sweetipie
    (female)

sweetipie HB User
    Re: Heeelp! Im too shy to do an oral presentation in front of my whole year

I kinda know how you feel, except I don't have a huge problem with it. When I was younger I and had to give speeches, my eyes would water and tears would fall. Everyone thought I was crying, but it wasn't that, it was just really weird lol, but anyway, I started to watch lots of movies and saw how the actors acted in scenes with speeches. Some could look at everyone right in the eye and talk, others would look around the room, but everyone of them seemed to be having a fun time while giving the speech. Just don't worry about the grade or your shyness, act like you're talking to your friends. Be relaxed and look to the back of the room and focus on one object. It helps.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
    Kiwi17
    (female)

Kiwi17 HB User

Just relax first of all...Don't be nervous chances are no one will be paying attention anyways! I know in school i never payed attention, just knew the persons topic and came up with some question if i needed to ask them a question! You shouldn't care what other people think of you! They all have to do it! No one is gonna make fun of you or anything! Just don't look anyone in the eye...are you supposed to be looking t people when you talk (probably) what ive learned is look at the top of their heads... it looks like you are looking at people but you never have to look them in the eye!

Old 02-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User

i know exactly how you feel. i'd have pretty severe anxiety attacks when in front of a large group of people. actually, come to think of it i'd have an attack in front of a group of 50. i was so afraid of public speaking that i chose not to give my valedictorian speech at graduation.

in any case, i suggest paying attetntion to what you're saying and not think of any thing else. concentrate on keeping your voice level, and don't rush through your speech, and before you even realize it, your speech will be over.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
    caitlin777
    (female)

caitlin777 HB User

Take a xanax bar. It's for anxiety which it seems to me you're experiencing. Just dont take a whole one, take a half. And then don't ever take it again because you'll get addicted. I'm just being honest. But sooner or later you'll have to go threw with it. (I had a similar problem) it helps to not look directly at people, but look above them. And bring some water to sip on incase you get a dry throat. But really, you should tell youre parents about this, there's ways to ovecome anxiety/nervousness.

Closed Thread