It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• I have permanent damage from "huffing!!"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
    kind1
    (female)

kind1 HB User
    I have permanent damage from "huffing!!"

Hello. I have a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and other permanent damage from huffing (inhaling fumes from products like glue, paint, or any type of gas/solvent) also called inhalants, from when I was 12 to try to self-medicate. (I'm now in my 30's.) I have permanent, irreversable damage to my brain/nervous system, bone marrow (fatty inner lining of bones), and throughout my entire system. And I'm Not looking for pity, I'm just stating the facts as they are :)

Just a few of my problems are that I have Severe Memory Loss, Severe Dizziness (as bad or worse than the flu), Poor Balance and Coordination, Severe Problems Reading, Speaking and Understanding, Chronic Fatigue, Severe Problems with Visually Tracking words and objects from Damage to my Cerebellum (part of brain that handles balance and coordination), Severe Grating at the Back of my Neck which they believe is due to the Bone Marrow Damage. So yeah, I'm pretty messed up!!! And my quality of life has gone waaay down due to my wanting to try to self-medicate this way. There's a site from the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition (we're not allowed to post websites here) and there's other info about the dangers of huffing.

So PLEASE do not huff!! A person can not "only" die from it but can become permanently disabled like me after even just ONE TIME!! I left a post back on 3-9-04 in the Parenting Issues board that I found by doing a search here with the search word "huffing." I called it "Your kids could be huffing their lives away!!" Please feel free to read that message too and print out both and share with others. It could save a life and/or quality of life!! And please remember that people that try huffing might be straight-A students or not, from loving families or not. It goes across the board with any culture or socioeconomic background. Bless you and please take good care, Aimee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
    Warren_G
    Inactive
    (male)

Warren_G HB User
    Re: I have permanent damage from "huffing!!"

yes it is really sad about people huffing paint cans and computer spray, I dont understand why they huff when there are less dangerous drugs like marijuana.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
    goatofthenever

goatofthenever HB User

^^ Becuase they are a lot easier to get than much more less harmful drugs which are made illegal. Also kids most likly ignore the warning of the harmful qualities since they are told lies about every drug being harmful, they just don't belive any of them.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Most drugs are harmful if not used properly. Asprin & Tylenol can kill you if used improperly.

I have never understood why anyone would "huff" or use stuff like "meth", "crank", "crack", "pot", or use dangerous drugs improperly.

Is it self loathing or low self respect or what???

Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
    write
    (male)

write HB User

I don't think it's low self respect Jin L. I just think some people especially young adults like myself are not informed properly about the dangers of using or over using illegal or legal drugs for that matter. Kids do drugs for many reasons. Since the reasons differ with each individual, it's hard to pin point a specific cause to why teens and adults would do this. Some might have low esteem issues, kids being rude and teasing them in school, and reasons could stem from the home life. DRUGS ARE BAD, DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME but when a person especially a child doesn't get the right attention he or she needs, that child will turn to whatever takes their mind off of the problem. That you should be able to understand. Everybody has problems, it's just some people have a harder time dealing with things than other people that may be going through the same thing.

Closed Thread