It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• teen drinking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
    EverlastingSmile137

EverlastingSmile137 HB User
    Question teen drinking

I'm in high school and I just turned 18. It seems like everyone in high school is into drinking and people seem to expect everyone in high school to drink. I'm not into that at all. I drank once last year and I just got a little tipsy but a lot of my friends were really drunk. A bunch of us had to help them home and I hated that. It's scary to me and I don't feel like I fit in with that. I like to talk to adults and stuff and so I almost feel like I just skipped my teen years. I don't mean to sound like I'm better than anyone but I feel like I'm too mature for this. I would just like to meet a guy who isn't into drinking all the time. Do you think most high school kids are into drinking because it seems like it to me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
    welsh_eccentric
    (male)

welsh_eccentric HB User
    Re: teen drinking

hey i had that kind of problem, but at a younger age, jsut ignore the guys, a lot of teenage guysdrink but not all drink to excess.there is a lot of peer pressure and i can understand but keep you chin up, there are plent y of guys who dont drink a lot ( i'm one of them but thats besides the point)

Old 04-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
    last1
    Inactive
    (male)

last1 HB User

Dear Evelastingsmile: Ok, let me bottom line this for you. I am a social worker in a large metropolitan trauma center. My area of responsibility is predominately neurological rehabilitation which means that I provide services for patients who have had some neurological impairment - stroke, Parkinson's disease, spinal cord and brain injury. And, I help families adjust and cope to their loved ones who are suffering. Let me talk about Spinal Cord and Brain Injury: 75% (75%!!!!!!) of the patients I care for are people who have suffered traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries as the result of a motor vehicle accident. Of that 50% are adolescents (most males) in the range of 14-18. ANd the majority of these injuries are related to drugs or alcohol. And, here's where I mean to scare the hell out of you: when you have a brain injury or a spinal cord injury nothing is ever the same. Depending on the severity of the injury will determine if you ever will function independently ever again. IT may mean that your dream to be out on your own won't ever happen and that you'll always be dependent upon someone supervising your life. It may mean that your hopes for college are gone. Your ideas for becoming a successful lawyer, doctor, teacher? Gone. For some of these case, the hopes of ever marrying and having children - gone. The ability to control your bladder or bowels? Gone - and you're in diapers for the rest of your life. Being able to eat anything but through a tube? Gone. The ability to produce children becuase you can't produce and erection?Gone. Depending upon the location will depend on your funtional ability. The higher the injury, the more deficits you will suffer.
    The point I am trying to make is that you have a choice. ANd that you choose not to drink is a blessing to you and your family. You can be a voice here. You can lead your friends into responsible drinking (which when you're driving is no drinking!).
    If you want more information you can go on line and check out websites available on brain and spinal cord injuries.
    Anway, thanks for allowing to rant and rave. ANd thanks for being the wise one in your group. Congratulations! ANd, congratulations to your parents as well. cflas.

Last edited by last1; 04-07-2005 at 06:18 PM. Reason: punctuation

Old 04-07-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
    bgs79
    (male)

bgs79 HB User

Hey I'm a guy and a senior in high school and feel exactly the same way you do... I don't drink and every one seems to drink at school....and lots of other things.....which makes it very tough for me to communicate with people in my lunch period since there are only like 25 seniors in that period out of the 400 seniors in the school... you know....it's like you try to get to know people and it's not what you expected people would be like in high school... total morons..(except for a few seniors here and there).. I prefer talking to adults to---they're normal.....but, yes indeed, many people at my school drink, and like I said, do other things too, and it's tough because I don't party much at all or like they do.....like getting in trouble with the law type partying. It's the same way with me...I feel like I'm too mature for them too....definitely.....you are not alone.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
    CrimsonTears001
    Inactive
    (female)

CrimsonTears001 HB User

i drink a lot, but i don't do it to fit in or be cool, like most people i know. They do it because their friends do it. I do it for personal reason. Get rid of my misery and pain and....other things. And i know a lot of people drink for the same reason. It's not healthy, but to me it's better than the alternative.

but props to you for not drinking!

Old 04-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
    Pink00

Pink00 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bgs79
    Hey I'm a guy and a senior in high school and feel exactly the same way you do... I don't drink and every one seems to drink at school....and lots of other things.....which makes it very tough for me to communicate with people in my lunch period since there are only like 25 seniors in that period out of the 400 seniors in the school... you know....it's like you try to get to know people and it's not what you expected people would be like in high school... total morons..(except for a few seniors here and there).. I prefer talking to adults to---they're normal.....but, yes indeed, many people at my school drink, and like I said, do other things too, and it's tough because I don't party much at all or like they do.....like getting in trouble with the law type partying. It's the same way with me...I feel like I'm too mature for them too....definitely.....you are not alone.
    HEYY.. maybe you and the original poster go to the same high school? We could set somethin up

haha, honestly. I think that you will find some kids do not drink, and some of them may drink just a little bit or just say they drink just to fit in. Because, yeah, most kids in high school drink (or say they do). That's the way it was at my high school, anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
    bgs79
    (male)

bgs79 HB User

Quote:
    HEYY.. maybe you and the original poster go to the same high school? We could set somethin up
    lol, yeah that would be something else haha..

Old 04-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
    SpoiledCutie258

SpoiledCutie258 HB User

Well if your a teen drinking you are pretty stupid because 1. it is against the law and 2. if caught you are in serious trouble.

My friend is 18 and was caught by a cop drinking and god did she get into big trouble. I myself have not drank because im only 18 and no that it is against the law. The teens who drink at your school are hard headed and are going to be crying their eyes out when they get arrested or get alcohol poisoning.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

I was just like you. I was always the "designated driver" whenever my friends and I went out. I wasn't into drinking but it seamed that everyone else was. Stand your ground. I got along with everyone in high school, or I should say most everyone and everyone knew me as the girl who was nice to everyone. By standing your ground and not falling into the peer pressure, you'll find out who your TRUE friends really are.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
    The only name not taken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The only name not taken HB User

It just gets worse in College. I'm first year in an Aus uni, and EVERYTHING here revolves around drinking! I dont drink often, and while everyone says "We dont judge you if you drink or not" everyone does, they just cant help themselves.

My advice, drink a little, dont need to get drunk, but try and blend in. If ppl think your against drinking, you will def be outcast in College.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #11
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

I don't agree with the last poster although, I understand what was being said. I still say, stand your ground! Don't let peer pressure push you into something that you don't want to do just to "fit in" I wouldn't worry about what other people think, go to school, be nice to everyone and out of any crowd in school, will come true friends. Love who you are!

Old 04-29-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
    phoenix'fire
    (male)

phoenix'fire HB User

Hey listen here...i am in the navy and what are sailors known for? Being drunk. I do not drink. If you think that the peer pressure in college is bad think again. You arent an outcast if you dont drink. You shouldnt drink to fit in. Stand your ground and be yourself. If you dont want to drink...DONT DRINK. Find a different group...its that simple. Not only is it illegal if your underage, it is bad for your health and you only do stupid things when you get drunk.

Closed Thread