It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• My teen daughter is making herself sick over underarm wetness...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
    klasikal88keys
    (female)

klasikal88keys HB User
    My teen daughter is making herself sick over underarm wetness...

Please help! My 16 yr. old daughter is in constant tears and looking to avoid school and other social activities because of embarrassing underarm wetness and odor. She bathes daily and we've tried every antiperspirant known to mankind and nothing seems to help. The kids in school are no help, either, with their B.O. remarks. She's a beautiful girl and a majorette in her school band. It rips me apart seeing her so upset. Please, if anyone can give her any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
    mystiq86
    (female)

mystiq86 HB User
    Re: My teen daughter is making herself sick over underarm wetness...

I advise you to take your daughter to her doctor. It sounds like you've tried everything else. I'm sorry she's having a tough time at school. People are cruel. Sorry, I don't have much else to say. Best wishes.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
    Ding
    Veteran
    (female)

Ding HB User

i used to have that when i was younger. i found that after i took up proper regular excercise (jogging and aerobics classes) that i sweated less when i was at rest. i'm not sure of the science behind it all, but it seems to have worked for me. good luck

Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
    i97
    (male)

i97 HB User

Here is something I posted a while back on B.O.

Go to the doctor and check for infections: underarm infections are very common and they cause a horrible stench.

Use alcohol after shower to wipe the underarm: The stench is caused by bacteria feeding on minerals, oxygen and other materials. In return, they release waste which like ours, stinks. If you wipe it good with alcohol, it kills a lot of the bacteria. Even cleaning alcohol works. ( the best is the 99.9% industriall alcohol ).

Use Spray deordorants and not bar: The bar deordorants contain aluminum, which just plugs the pores so the bacteria waste does not get out. Since the waste does not want to stay in the body, it will get out somehow. If you do not stink under your arms, it will stink somewhere else. Spray Deordorants do not contain aluminum ( most at least ) and they also contain alcohol to kill bacteria.

ALSO, I found out about this not long ago. The girl might be too nervous. nervousness causes wetness, and other things. As she gets underarm wetness, she gets even more nervous because she thinks she smells. SHE NEEDS TO LEARN TO RELAX AND NOT MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT.

Hope this helped.

Erind

Old 05-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

I'd just let her know she isnt the only one that sweats or has b.o. I use to wear a shirt under the shirts that i'd wear to school to avoid wetness showing? I still wear tanktops under a lot of the t-shirts i wear out of habit.

Suggest bringing pit stick to school? Just have her leave it in her backpack, I'd assume she's in high school since she's 16. Just take a break at lunch hit up the bathrooms and apply more. I also wear sented lotions and body spray. All of which i'd bring w/me to school or keep in my locker.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #6
    FranktheTank
    (male)

FranktheTank HB User

I used to have horrible underarm sweating, but no odor problems. I used this anti-perspirant off the internet called maxim and it worked like a charm. Another strong anti-perspirant is drysol. I used it for my hands, bc they sweat constantly which is so embarrassing, so i understand where she's coming from. Your best bet is to take her to a dermatologist. A new treatment for the underarm sweating is Botox injections. You get like 4 or 5 injections into the underarm and I heard it works great. She'll just have to do it every 5-6 months. Check it out.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #7
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

wash under arms several times a day with 91% alcohol available at many drug stores.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
    ScruffyGuy
    Inactive
    (male)

ScruffyGuy HB User

First and foremost, get the kid to a doc as mentioned to rule out any possible illnesses.

Consider dress-shields. Aren't they made exactly for this purpose?

A doc can also reassure your daughter that sometimes excessive sweating is common in adolescence and it may taper off as she gets older. That's good news, though it doesn't help the immediate problem.

There are surgeries which can remove sweat glands if the problem is truly severe -- but this would be a LAST resort only.

Alcohol can certainly help -- but it can also cause lots of problems. For one thing, it will sting like crazy if used soon after the young lady shaves. It can also cause rashes, dryness and redness. It must also be used repeatedly through the day -- and this can become cumbersome.

Here's a better option to try:

Go purchase a product called Hibiclens from your local pharmacy. Walgreen's, Eckerd, etc. Everyone sells it. It's ten bucks a bottle -- blue with white logo lettering.

Hibiclens is a surgical scrub and topical antimicrobial wash. It kills bacteria for HOURS and HOURS after use. Many hospitals use it in soap dispensers for medical professionals to wash their hands before and after examining patients. It is also found in soap dispensers in public restroom in hospitals. Surgeons sometimes use it as well for scrubbing before minor procedures.

A small amount of this stuff goes a LONG way. The ten bucks it costs for a bottle will stretch a long time. Have your daughter use a small amount under each arm when she showers. Rinse off well. This will GREATLY reduce any odor problems because Hibiclens continues to kill surface bacteria for a very long time, even after it is rinsed away.

READ the label carefully and follow the directions. DO NOT get it in the eyes or on mucous membranes. If some soap washes down her body as she rinses under her arms, this is not a problem -- just do not apply it directly to delicate areas above the neck or on the genitals.

Hibiclens can stain clothing and wash cloths sometimes, but it will not be an issue if used in the shower and it will NOT stain tiles or tubs.

It is actually very safe and easy to use if you just follow the directions.

It should not be used to wash the entire body on a daily basis -- our bodies NEED the surface bacteria that is normally present. But it is perfectly OK to use it in a localized area regularly.

I never have a problem with odor, but I use Hibiclens under my arms just the same. I would only smell "normally" after a hard day of work, etc. and I just as soon not have to ever worry about it.

This is a GREAT product and I highly recommend you at least give it a try. If it doesn't help, there may be an underlying issue that needs medical attention.

Finally... Hibiclens will NOT stop perspiration -- it will only assist in stopping the resulting odor. You will need to seek alternative treatment for the perspiration if necessary -- or at least get some of those dress shields, which should help greatly.

Good luck -- do let us know if this helps your daughter.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

I suggest calcium/vitamin D supplements. Calcium is known to deal with body odor issues and it decreases sweating.

If she is having night sweats, sweats when she isn't exercising on cool days, or has sweaty hands then I suggest a doctor appointment and a look at her thyroid, adrenals and sex hormones (all of which are associated with excessive sweating).

Last edited by orion; 05-06-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #10
    needsomehelpbad
    (male)

needsomehelpbad HB User

a fraternity brother of mine used to have the same thing....hed sweat all the time, and have huge pit circles...he went to the doctor and got perscription deoderant...hes a sweaty digusting person to begin with and it cleared things up, so im sure you daughter will fair even better than him

Old 05-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
    lucky33

lucky33 HB User

I read the other day that botox injections can "cure" the overactive sweat glands of course until it wears off but Hey if it's not too pricy it would be so easy to live with then.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
    Apple pie
    (female)

Apple pie HB User

well i used to suffer from this prob too and i tried almost every deodrant in town! and i finally found the BEST ever.. its called lady speed stick " Musk " i dont really know if its just imported to us here in the gulf.. or if u have it there.. it has a nice powder smell and worked well for me.. i dont really think injections or wat so ever are good for her at this age.. with all the hormones and stuff.. and PLUS i kinda have a very goood solution for u..!!! right after bathing.. let her rub her underarms with a half fresh lemon... lemon can vanish the odor away and kinda decrease the sweat!! believe it or not..!

Last edited by Apple pie; 05-11-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
    crazygirl01
    (female)

crazygirl01 HB User

theres a pill called the body mint, its supposed to help with odors in your body

Old 05-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
    UNdscovrdCCRETS
    (female)

UNdscovrdCCRETS HB User

I used to have the same prob. I went to the doc and she prescribed DrySol, it eliminates sweating. You put it on once a week

Old 05-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #15
    blondie79
    (female)

blondie79 HB User

Drysol (aluminum chloride 19%) prescribed by her doctor and applied 2-3x/week before bedtime will definitely eliminate excessive sweating. It works wonders!

Closed Thread