It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Irregular Period for 3 years. What's wrong!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
    Just_Samantha
    (female)

Just_Samantha HB User
    Exclamation Irregular Period for 3 years. What's wrong!?

Hey all,
    I'm getting a bit worried.
    I began my period in 7th grade, and I'm now in 10th. My period has NEVER been regular since it started.
    I know a year or 2 is normal, but it's now almost 3 and a half.
    I'm going to ask my sister if she can schedule an appointment, and take me to the Doctor's to see what's up... but I'm a bit hesitant.

Because I DO NOT. want to be put on the pill. I'm currently trying to LOSE weight, and I REFUSE... ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to take it.

I'm just wondering what they'll do at the Doctor's?
    And if it turns out that nothing is wrong, is it a CHOICE if I want to be on the pill or not?...or would they force me??

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited by Just_Samantha; 05-09-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
    Justawondering
    Veteran
    (female)

Justawondering HB User
    Re: Irregular Period for 3 years. What's wrong!?

A lot of things can affect your period, weight loss being one of them... Have you lost a large amount of weight?? Stress can be a factor too and if you are very physically active that is another I suggest you go to your doc but they may put you on BC for the sole purpose of regulating your period Good Luck keep us posted.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
    Just_Samantha
    (female)

Just_Samantha HB User

For the past 2 years I've lived a life full of constint stress, so that COULD be a factor. Haven't lossed alot of weight though.

I guess I'll go to the Doctor's, but I refuse to take BC if it's just a matter of having it regular. WHO ON EARTH would WANT it regular!?!?!?! I love only having it every 3-4 months.
    Hopefully it's nothing more though.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
    blondie301

blondie301 HB User

You could have pcos. You may want to do a search so you can do some research on it. It is a condition that causes irregular periods. I have it. I do not take anything for it.

If you go to the doctor, the doctor can not force you to be on birth control pills.

Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
    Just_Samantha
    (female)

Just_Samantha HB User

Hm, PCOS sounds like a possibility, but I don't have many of the symptoms.

What did they do to test for it on you?? ... I dread the thought of a psychical exam. I'm just in no way comfortable with other people... well... looking at "me"!! =o/

Last edited by Just_Samantha; 05-11-2005 at 09:14 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
    Piranna65
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Piranna65 HB User

I started my period when i was fifteen and i was having 2 sometimes 3 periods a month. That last till I was almost 18 and put myself on the pill.

You know you can talk to you doctor about the pill. Find out which ones have the highest weight gain reported ect. You can still lose weight on the pill. But it will regulate. You should talk to your doctor b4 you become so judgemental and head strong on the idea that b/c makes you gain so much weight.

Ive been on the pill since i was almost 18 and the first pill I took did help me gain weight though i didnt want it, but i have since switched pills and havent gained another pound.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #7
    Bekki
    (female)

Bekki HB User

I may have PCOS too, the doctor did a blood test which didn't show the normal hormone imbalances common to PCOS sufferers, but she said I still might have it. I decided to go on the pill rather than have the physical tests. My doctor made it clear that I would never be forced to be put on hormones.
    I think you should talk to your doctor if you are concerned.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
    karalm23
    (female)

karalm23 HB User

Hi, I'm 19yo, and i had very irregular periods from the time that i got it when I was 12, up until about 4 months ago when I got on the pill. Now it comes at the same time, on the same day every single months. My best suggestion is don't worry about it- I think it's more common than people think, and don't do what I did and worry about it for years, and constantly make excuses every month for why it is late/early (I'm stressed, I've been exercising, etc.). I never told my doctor because I always thought that I could explain it or that it was more regular than I thought, and I just wasn't keeping a good record of it. (I think on some level I was just scared to tell because I thought something was seriously wrong with me).

You might ask your doctor about the pill- it has been so amazing to get a period every month on the same day. I never realized how much I was missing with that kind of consistency! I went on it for birth control reasons, but i know that some people take it just to regulate their periods. If you are going to be sexually active soon or already are, it would definitely be a good thing to look into. Trust me, it is very unpleasant to be sexually active and have to wait around for your period to come. I always used protection, but I was afraid I was pregnant every month, because I had no idea when my period would come. If you think your parents would be uncomfortable with this, you might be able to look into going to planned parenthood or something similar- it is completely confidential and it is much cheaper than through a doctor. Places like that also have numbers you can call to talk anonymously with a knowledgable person- they might be able to answer your questions, and it might be a little more comfortable.

Hope i helped in some way! Good luck and don't stress about this, but do talk to your doctor if you can. I stressed needlessly for years.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
    karalm23
    (female)

karalm23 HB User

I'm sorry- I just realized I didn't read your post very carefully, and missed the part about not wanting to be on the pill. I apologize for seeming like I was pushing it. I have read, though, that the weight gain that some people (not very common) experience is just water retention, and usually only equals a few pounds- usually not more than about 2-4. Weight can fluctuate that much normally because of hormones, so it's really not very significant. I have not had any problems with weight gain on the pill. I totally respect your decision though- I just thought I'd share. And no- they can't force you to do anything.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 AM   #10
    eccentric
    (female)

eccentric HB User

no one can force you do anything you don't want to. You just have to put your foot down remember your 16! also some people have irregular periods for the rest of child bearing years. Don't worry it will probably be something minor like if you have suddenly changed your diet!

Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
    msdancecheer
    (female)

msdancecheer HB User

i really wouldnt worry about or go to the doctor as long as u get one every 18 to 42 days and dont skip more than 2 in a row u should be fine!

Closed Thread