It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Growth Spurt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
    queenslink247
    Inactive
    (male)

queenslink247 HB User
    Growth Spurt

does anyone know if the Osgood-Schlatter disease affect the growth spurt?..or is this a sign of an actual growth spurt, also...what are some other symptoms of a growth spurt?

answers will be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
    MaryAnn
    (female)

MaryAnn HB User
    Re: Growth Spurt

I can only speak from experience with my 15 year old son. When the osgood-slaughter is bothering him the most is when he is growing. He has grown 4 inches in the last year and there has been a lot of pain with that. He is a basketball player too and that also seems to aggravate the knee pain because of the constant pounding on the knees going up and down the basketball court. He takes advil for the pain.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
    queenslink247
    Inactive
    (male)

queenslink247 HB User

im 15 too ....so maybe there is a chance than this yr i may grow more ?..also, is osgood detrimental to anything ?

Old 07-04-2005, 05:51 AM   #4
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

MaryAnn, make sure he drinks plenty of water with the Advil & eats something with it.

Any ibuprofene or aspirin product can burn the stomach lining & cause bleeding, never take it on any empty stomach. Tylenol is safer for pain most of the time but does not reduce swelling, do not exceed the daily dose as it can be dangerous also.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
    DDay
    Inactive
    (male)

DDay HB User

JinL...Im sorry but I think you are wrong on that one...aspirin does make your stomach bleed...but thats aspirin; not ibuprofein.
    Anyways, I have osgood schlatters and Im 15 as well. When you grow (Or I grow) my knees usually bother me a lot...but once im not growing much they seem to settle down a little bit. Most doctors I have talked to say that it should get better when you are 100% done growing. My chiropractor says it will not only get better, but it will totally go away(he usually knows what he's talking about)
    Im no doctor and I take no responsibility for the following:
    To really ease the pain; let your son take 6 200 mg ibuprofeins. A prescription painkiller has the same affect as this, but doctors usually wont prescribe that to a 15 year old. When my knee pain is unbearable, thats what i do.

Sorry for bumping this, mods.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
    WorriedTeenager
    (male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Both ibuprofein and aspirin may cause stomach bleeding, and yes, that is a fact. JinL is not wrong.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DDay
    To really ease the pain; let your son take 6 200 mg ibuprofeins.
    Also, 1200MG of ibuprofein? Seems like way too much.

Closed Thread