It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Hand tremors

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #1
    Martay
    (male)

Martay HB User
    Hand tremors

Ok, I've had this problem for a while and I can't figure out what is causing it. I have constant hand tremors (not serious, but still noticable) which seem to get worse when I'm nervous.

I'm not sure what kind of information to give but here it is: I'm 16, I play a lot of guitar, do quite a bit of typing, exercise quite regulary, don't have a high intake of caffeine, I don't smoke. I was thinking it may be Repetitive Strain Injury but I doubt it. I tend to worry about stuff but I wouldn't say I have a reason to be very stressed. If there isn't enough information to go on here, please feel free to ask questions...

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
    WeathermanGS1
    (male)

WeathermanGS1 HB User
    Re: Hand tremors

If this has been happening regularly, I would suggest making an appointment with a Neurologist to have it checked out. The sooner the better.

-Greg

Old 09-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
    Martay
    (male)

Martay HB User

Ok. It is an ongoing thing. What's strange is that my right hand is always better then my left and overall it's better and worse at different times, which I still can't figure out.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:01 AM   #4
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

There's two types of common tremors: 1. a neurological tremor- an example would be my grandfather whose hands constantly shake for no reason, and 2. tremor due to anxiety, which is what I have. My hands and legs will shake during a panic attack or other time of severe stress. When your hands shake, do you also have a racing heart, hyperventilation, abdominal distress, and/or hot/cold flashes? These are classic signs of a panic attack. If you don't think you're suffering from an anxiety attack, I totally agree with the other poster that you might want to see a neurologist, just to make sure everything's okay.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
    Martay
    (male)

Martay HB User

Thanks a lot for replying. I think I will make an appointment just to check everything out. One last thing to add, when I'm relaxed the tremors are still there but they certainly aren't as bad as opposed to when I'm nervous.

Oh one more thing, are neurological tremors treatable? Or is it just something to live with?

Last edited by Martay; 09-03-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It sounds like it could be anxiety b/c that's how my hands are- right now I'm having a bad panic attack, so they're shaking pretty badly, but after a long string of really bad panic attacks, my hands don't visibly shake, but I can feel them shaking. Yes, neurological tremors can be treated; they're usually treated with the medicine Topamax. My grandfather's can't be cured, but the Topamax has stopped it from getting any worse.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread