It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Just turned 18.... Can I still grow? PLEASE ANSWER!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
    howhorrible
    (male)

howhorrible HB User
    Just turned 18.... Can I still grow? PLEASE ANSWER!

I just turned 18 a week ago, and I am very self-consious about my height. I feel so much smaller than all the other guys. I'm 5"8 when the average height for other guys at school is like 5"11. My Dad is 6" and all his brothers are above 5"11. My Mom is 5"6 and her brother is also 6". Why am I so short? I havn't grown a signifificiant amount for like 5 years. Is it to late? I hear many grow a little later. I am so self consious and I pray for height every night. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User
    Re: Just turned 18.... Can I still grow? PLEASE ANSWER!

I think guys grow till they're like 20 or 22.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
    howhorrible
    (male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justanothagirl
    I think guys grow till they're like 20 or 22.
    Anyone else? Please?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
    Jackswift

Jackswift HB User

man lol i think ur overreacting. 5'8" isn't that short. You may still grow taller, but even if you don't, its no big deal. Im only 5'11" and im considered pretty tall.

Just start working out and become some huge behemoth that all the ladies will drool over. Or, be like me and not work out, and be something the ladies make fun of! lol jk.....i hope

Old 10-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
    justanothagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

justanothagirl HB User

hehe, funny dude.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
    redeeminggrace
    (male)

redeeminggrace HB User

How Horrible?
    My friend, you are tha average height for men in America. You can still grow into your 20,s. The stigma that some put on people can hurt, however that being said...Your height doesnt determermine who you are, how successful you will be, how good looking someone else perceives you to be. You, inside you, who you are is what makes you attractive to other people. The confidence that you carry is far more powerful than a few inches of height. The average man in Europe is smaller than you. The average man in the jungle is 4'7". You are a Goliath to them. Just be confident that you are who you are. Your perosnality, the way you treat others not your size is what counts.We are not to be feared because of our size, but rather respected for our humanity.Our compassion for others..Rest assured you were made like a precious jewel that needs no extra height to be appreciated and respected....God Bless...Bernie

Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
    howhorrible
    (male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redeeminggrace
    How Horrible?
    My friend, you are tha average height for men in America. You can still grow into your 20,s. The stigma that some put on people can hurt, however that being said...Your height doesnt determermine who you are, how successful you will be, how good looking someone else perceives you to be. You, inside you, who you are is what makes you attractive to other people. The confidence that you carry is far more powerful than a few inches of height. The average man in Europe is smaller than you. The average man in the jungle is 4'7". You are a Goliath to them. Just be confident that you are who you are. Your perosnality, the way you treat others not your size is what counts.We are not to be feared because of our size, but rather respected for our humanity.Our compassion for others..Rest assured you were made like a precious jewel that needs no extra height to be appreciated and respected....God Bless...Bernie
    I like who I am.... I just want to be taller. There is nothing wrong with that. Do you think I will grow?

Old 10-23-2005, 12:29 AM   #8
    alsaser
    (female)

alsaser HB User

None of us can tell you that, I mean, who knows, but it genetically sounds very possible. I'm a female but I grew a couple inches after age 17, you might grow a couple inches more..just gotta wait and see.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
    viccles
    Veteran
    (female)

viccles HB User

5'8 is short??

Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
    Hazel_Eyes
    Veteran
    (female)

Hazel_Eyes HB User

height... a very sensitive topic for me!

I believe you will still grow! Im certain you will - you far from done! Just stress about it! I think girls stop growing by the age of 16. Guys stop growing by the age of...20(?) I know its somewhere in their 20s.

When I was in highschool there was this small kid every guy used to pick on. He was around 5'4 - 5'5 and he was in the 10th grade. Everyone said he is gonna be a small kid. He never participated in sports etc... I saw him again when i was in college, I think it was my sophomore year and MY GOSH!!!! he was 6'2!!!!!!!!!! -and he was far from skinny/frail. He was huge!!!

So dont stress so much about it!

Old 11-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
    davidjoshua
    (male)

davidjoshua HB User

As your dad when he finished getting his height. I'm only 5'7", but my height doesn't really bother me. I'm the same age as you. My dad didn't get all of his height until college, and he's 6'. At 5'8" I seriously doubt people ever get on you about your height. I go to a big school and never got **** for being short. I'm pretty skinny too.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #12
    vixlin
    (male)

vixlin HB User

Your spine is the last thing to grow. It is possible for guys to gain height into their early 20s. If your brothers continued to grow after 18, you most likely will as well. Your height is normal though, and you should be happy enough with that. If your developement has generally been slow through puberty, most likely, you will gain some height in college. Don't stress, at least you aren't 5'4 or something.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
    hoyt
    (male)

hoyt HB User

5'8 isnt that bad. your definately over reacting by complaining that everyone else is a whopping 3 inches taller than you.

Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 AM   #14
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

im almost 18 yrs old and only 5'4''. it sucks.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #15
    Hardcore
    (male)

Hardcore HB User

hey I'm 21 years old and I have the same length like you. maybe you will grow a bit longer, but it is also possible that you have reached your length. I'm satisfied with who I am and what I am. And if you're body is in a good health I think you must also be satisfied.

small but brave

Good luck and I hope you will grow a bit taller

greets frans

Closed Thread