It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• I have a crush on my friend

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    I have a crush on my friend

I don't know if any of you read or remember my topic here a while ago concerning my friend Bobby and how I thought he liked me. Well, now it seems the tables have turned, because I've realized I have a crush on him. It's not an intense feeling, but..well...it's a crush, that explains it pretty well. He's got a nice personality and I find him to be quite good-looking (but this is not the reason why I seem to fancy him)...he really seems to have most of the qualities I like in a guy. The thing is that I have a boyfriend back home (I'm currently in college), and as much as you may not believe me, I do love him very much and I would never be unfaithful to him or leave him. But I just don't know why I'm drawn so much to Bobby.

Bobby had asked me tonight to talk to a girl in one of my classes that he likes...and I just felt a wave of coldness rush through my heart, just because of this stupid crush. I want to help him and I'm going to try because I'm obviously not going to tell him I'm unable to help him because I have feelings for him. I know he doesn't feel the same about me, nor do I want him to because that would only make my crush feeling escalate to dangerous levels. I know I'm feeling these sensations in my heart because of the distance between my boyfriend and I - we have a 500+ mile distance between us and I have no seen him since I left home. I have no cellphone, so I don't get to call him really often; I'm just very lonely here and Bobby is really the only one who really seemed to care about me, and i think that's what had turned me his way.

He's totally oblivious to my feelings, which is how I want it to stay. My question to you all is not how I can break up with my boyfriend, because I don't want that to happen. What I'm asking is this: Is there any way I can forget these feelings for Bobby before they drive me crazy and make me do something I'll regret? And, if so, how can I go about forgetting?

I know this is a stupid and immature question, but then again, so is what's happening to my heart. I feel terrible having this crush on my friend when I have a boyfriend; I'm almost ashamed to say I love my boyfriend because I feel like I'm betraying him, even though I have not done anything with Bobby that extends beyond friendship.

I'd appreciate any and all advice on this matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
    porcupine_tree
    Inactive
    (male)

porcupine_tree HB User
    Re: I have a crush on my friend

It's nothing to be ashamed of, really. You say your boyfriend lives far away, so it's normal that you start looking into other guys. As far as forgetting about him, it's probably the best thing to do. There's not much you can do to "forget about" him. A "crush" is like a trend, it comes and goes, don't worry you'll forget about him sooner or later. If he's a really good friend then the option of ignoring him would cause you more pain, so really my hands are tied here. You could forget about him COMPLETELY(i.e ignoring him totally) or you can talk to him about it and then you might feel the burden lift off your shoulders. Do anything you feel is right. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
    The only name not taken
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The only name not taken HB User
    Re: I have a crush on my friend

Simple method I use in these circumstances. Weigh the happiness of your friendship, against the happiness of a relationship. Now Factor in the fact that you could end up with neither. Is it worth it? If you really want/need him, tell him how u feel. If not, is it worth sacrificing the relationship for a crush?

Having a boyfriend complicates things, and which guy u prefer is up to you. I will tell you one thing though - if you go for this other guy, tell you b/f b4 you act on it. Settling with him just cos you got knocked back, or taking the chance and cheating on him would make you a VERY bad person....

GL.

Closed Thread