It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
    IcyDestiny
    (female)

IcyDestiny HB User
    Question fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

i know that youre taking a chance and that infections depend on your genes like my aunt, grandma, and mom all had infections after getting their ears pierced... i dont wanna have to go thru that. But then proms coming up and it would be nice but id have to do it soon... how long does it take to heal up aprox and what can i do to prevent an infection?? please post im clueless on this one ^-^ thanx!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
    IcyDestiny
    (female)

IcyDestiny HB User
    Unhappy Re: fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

sobs let me get infected why doncha... lol no ones posting

Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
    Ding
    Veteran
    (female)

Ding HB User
    Re: fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

getting your ears pierced is really not something to worry so much over. theres a few rules you have to follow though and you'll be fine. 1) go to a reputable shop to get the done. it should be clean, with individually wrapped earings and piercing equipment, and they should disinfect before piercing. 2) once its done, leave the piercing alone. dont touch it unecassarily. 3) clean the piercing twice a day with either salt water or disinfectant such as savlon spray.
    if you follow these rules you should have no problems, and the piercing will heal in around 8 weeks.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
    hayz
    (female)

hayz HB User

As long as you look after the piercings then they will be ok. I first had my ears pierced when I was 13 - my Mum told me I wasn't allowed until I was 18...long story.. anyway, I'm 19 now, and I've got my ears pierced 4 times in each lobe, at the top of my left ear, my belly button and my nose.

My ears have become infected a couple of times but I do have sensitive skin. However, I have learnt how to look after the piercings properly and I do not get problems very often.

The only major problem I've really had is when I took one out to clean it, then left it over night. A lump appeared and then I had to let it close up before I got it re-pierced. The lump which was there is actually quite common I've been told; it's like a small hard lump inside the skin.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
    IcyDestiny
    (female)

IcyDestiny HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ding
    getting your ears pierced is really not something to worry so much over. theres a few rules you have to follow though and you'll be fine. 1) go to a reputable shop to get the done. it should be clean, with individually wrapped earings and piercing equipment, and they should disinfect before piercing. 2) once its done, leave the piercing alone. dont touch it unecassarily. 3) clean the piercing twice a day with either salt water or disinfectant such as savlon spray.
    if you follow these rules you should have no problems, and the piercing will heal in around 8 weeks.
    salt water? wouldnt that sting.. and that just adds to more things to do in the morning and night.. gosh i dunno if its really worth it

Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
    nade
    Inactive
    (female)

nade HB User
    Talking Re: fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

I would say go for it. I have my ears picered and nothing bad happend. It also doesn't even hurt. You may think it does but it doesn't.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
    IcyDestiny
    (female)

IcyDestiny HB User
    Wink Re: fear of piercing my ears. is it worth the hassle?

okay thanks for the tips ill try to follow them once i get the courage to go ahead and do it.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
    south_side009
    (female)

south_side009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IcyDestiny
    salt water? wouldnt that sting.. and that just adds to more things to do in the morning and night.. gosh i dunno if its really worth it
    Really its not that much work you are making it sound like!! Usually at the place you get your ears peirced, there is that ear stuff-what ever you call it. You put it on your ears in the morning and night, it takes only 15 seconds all together. If you take care of your ears, you'll be fine.(the ear stuff wont sting at all) Or you can use rubbing achohal. Simple.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
    jilli47
    (female)

jilli47 HB User

Hi,
    Don't even worry about getting your ears pierced. It's not painful at all, really quick and easy. I have my ears pierced 12 times, if it was painful or infection prone I would not have kept getting them. For a standard ear lobe piercing, you can safely change them after a couple of weeks with no problem. Don't touch them and be sure to clean them three times a day, no more, no less. If you are even of slightly good health they should get infected if you keep it clean. There is no trouble at all associated with standard lobe piercings. If you are talking about cartilage piercing thats a different story. It's somewhat harder to heal, takes longer and the jewellery should not be changed for a couple of months. So, I say go for it. Its virtually painless and looks pretty. Oh final word, make sure you go to a reputable, clean piercing place. Piercing guns are never safe for cartilage, they are safer however for lobe piercings, so thats an option to. have fun at your prom. take care

Old 02-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #10
    Catherine83
    (female)

Catherine83 HB User

Hi - I was scared at first too just because I HATE needles. BUT I wanted my ears pierced sooo bad so I went for it. Honestly, the first time my ears became infected and for me it was bad enough that i had to let the holes grow up. I was very young 12 or so and I have very sensitive skin. It hurt every time that i had to fool with doctoring them.. So, I let them grow up. About 2 years later I got them pierced again and had no problems at all. I think the sound is scare but the actual piercing really isn't that bad. Its more of a slight sting if anything and the ears really aren't as sensitive as other parts of the body. I'd rather get my ears pierced then get a shot so there ya go. It is sooooo worth it and I know you would love it once you go through with it. Bring a friend with you...its over in seconds and you'll look great! Think of all the cute earrings out there....how could you even doubt going through with it..lol.. Good luck with whatever you decide but you wont be sorry.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #11
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Getting your ears pierced isn't a big deal (assuming you mean the ear lobes, and not cartilage). As others have said, it's over in seconds. It will sting for a while, but nothing that bad. This is coming from someone with a low tolerance for pain, so if I can handle it, I'd say anyone can. Also, just because your mom and grandmother had infections from ear piercings doesn't mean that you will.

Infections with any kind of piercing are common, but a lot of people luck out and can have their piercings infection-free. I had a bad infection after getting my ears pierced and I had to remove one of the earrings about a week after piercing...but neither of the holes ever closed up.

It's good to have a friend go with you, because, as simple of a procedure as it is, you're probably still going to be nervous. I was really scared about getting it done, but I was laughing after it was over with. Good luck to you

Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
    Trishac
    (female)

Trishac HB User

Getting your ears pierced is seriously not a big deal!! (take it from me!! Mine are pierced twice, along with my nose, belly button, and tongue) ... I tell you I am the biggest wimp on earth and its no big deal.

BUT.. what i do recommend is... going somewhere that they DONT USE A PIERCING GUN!!! I know everyone and their dog has had their ears done with a gun... but seriously, they are bad news.

1) Piercing guns can NOT BE PROPERLY STERILIZED. Some of the newer ones use sterile selfcontained studs, which is great in theory, but the GUN ITSELF can not be sterilized (they're usually plastic) and can get contaminated with blood.

2) Peircing guns dont PIERCE... they actually TEAR a hole using a DULL pointed stud.... At a body piercing studio they'll use a hollow point needle which is sharper. This makes it easier to have a precise incision which is the same guage (width) of the jewellary they're putting in.. Believe it or not this means LESS PAIN and less potential for scars and scar tissue growth

and Lastly.... any tom dick or harry can use a piercing gun.. but professional piercers are trained in disease transmission, proper placement and at least some knowledge of anatomy. They're individually liscensed.

So if you're worried about infection... go to a reputable piercing place.. no one will laugh that you're "only doing your ears" because honestly, they'll respect that you know enough to make an informed choice.

And cmon.. earrings are FUN!! =) Good luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
    SammyT
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SammyT HB User

do wat ur comfortable with. my ears are peirced 13 times and im not done...haha im a fan

Old 02-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #14
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

It definitely isn't bad at all!! I have 2 different parts of my cartilage done and also my belly button and none of them hurt bad at all.

If you are worried about it, then you can always to go a piercing salon rather than somewhere like Claire's. A professional piercer is trained and knows so much about it, but then again at Claire's they can use the staple gun and do it really quick too. Usually where you get it done will give you cleaner to clean the piercing, so you don't have to do the salt water thing unless you want to. It usually takes about 6 weeks to heal.

If you end up not doing it, you can always get clip-ons for prom!

Closed Thread