It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Help me, girls

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
    gibsonsg1991
    (male)

gibsonsg1991 HB User
    Help me, girls

Okay girls, I have a question that has been bothering me for most of my teen life. Are girls "put-off" by an overweight guy? I am overweight, and I never have the courage to talk to girls, I never expose any of my skin, I wear a hooded sweatshirt and jeans at all times, even when it is 90 degrees. I am very self-conscious because of some mean girls in my past. I guess my question is, if an overweight guy talks to you, is he automatically out of the question just for being overweight?

Last edited by gibsonsg1991; 02-02-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
    Yekcoh4
    (female)

Yekcoh4 HB User
    Re: Help me, girls

I much prefer a "fluffier" man to an underweight or even average/muscular, and a lot of my girlfriends agree. I am small @ 5'2" 125 but my b/f is 6'0" 225 and perfect IMO!

Old 02-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
    Lisa101010
    Inactive
    (female)

Lisa101010 HB User

Gibson:

First off, I want to say, do NOT get discouraged when it comes to girls. Don't be too hard on yourself, because at your age, almost everyone struggles with fitting in and dealing with the opposite sex. Although it might not seem that way, it’s true. And, the good news is that I can tell you things will indeed get much better after high school, when you become an adult and go to college or whatever you choose to do.

Your weight may matter more to girls at your age now. Some girls may be put off by it, especially the skinny stuck up girls. Girls are very superficial in their teens. But as soon as you are older and the older you get, it will be less and less of an issue, and some women will even prefer a heavier guy. I know I do! I like to be with a heavier guy because he makes me feel small, which it a turn on to me. But, when I was a teenager, I liked thinner guys. I am an attractive girl, now I'm 27 years old, but I act and look young for my age. And I would definitely go out with a heavier guy today. My boyfriend has a beer guy right now I think it is sexy. But I don't think I would have thought that when I was younger.

I think you'll be OK.. Just be yourself. Focus on developing FRIENDSHIPS with girls right now, because that will help you when you're an adult. Don't worry about moving too fast into something romantic. I know you probably wish for that, but take it slow, don't worry, not everyone is out "gettin' some" even though it may seem that way. And if you are good friends with a girl, she will see you for more than just your body, and she will like your personality and I know it sounds cliché, but women will be more attracted to what is on the inside, especially when you get older.

My brother is 21 years old and in college and he is probably close to 300 lbs. He had friends that were girls in high school but never anything romantic. Like you, he wore hoodies and jeans all the time. Now, he has had a girlfriend for over a year. She is also heavy, but they get along great. Like I said, weight will matter a lot less when you're out of high school.

Either way, don't give up. Try to be confident in yourself -- girls like confidence. And, try not to act too desperate with girls, pursuing someone too much can be a turn off. Just talk to girls like they are a friend and treat them like humans. Focus on the things you like to do, your hobbies and interests -- girls like guys who are "deep" in some way, like if they are really into music or sports or something. And you can wear more than just hoodies and jeans -- find your own style. I bet you can look good in button down shirts and stuff like that too, even shorts in the summer. Remember to take care of yourself, keep yourself clean, etc.

As far as the mean girls in your past, I know exactly how you feel. I was teased a lot when I was younger too. But the pain caused by the teasing will go away, in time, if you live your life right. And lots and lots and lots of guys don't have the courage to talk to girls. That is totally common. Hey, maybe some day a girl will talk to you first, ya never know.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
    Brooke85
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brooke85 HB User

I agree with the girls. I am petite 5'1" 120 lbs. and I much prefer a bigger guy than a skinnier guy. It makes me feel more feminine and in a way protected. My boyfriend is 6" and 220 lbs and honestly if he were smaller I don't think I'd be as attracted. I love him for who he is, even his beer belly and other imperfections! and as long as you don't push things with girls and treat them like they deserve to be treated you will find that they will like you for you and not what's on the outside.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
    Angelwing
    (female)

Angelwing HB User

Gibson,
    Dont wear baggy clothes be you! Girls love it when i guy is confident! Most girls prefer bigger guys as they can look after them and keep them safe! I know i do! You are perfect the way you are and if a girl dont accept that then shes got a problem. Be yourself and flaunt what you have got, wear clothes that suit your personality best and make you feel happy. You are special and individual and if a girl cant see that in you, then shes the one with a problem!

*hugs*

Angelwing

Old 03-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
    anonymous_me
    (female)

anonymous_me HB User

Well I have to say, all girls are different.

A lot of the girls posting prefer bigger guys, as they like having someone to make them feel good about themselves, and to protect them. Perhaps I'm more of a confident protector, but I tend to prefer (though do not limit my sights to) thinner guys. It's all in the girl you're going after.

I don't mean to sound superficial or snobby, but at this time in my life I don't believe I could find myself attracted to someone who is overweight. This is said out of honesty, with no intention of hurting you. Though there are girls like me who prefer skinny guys, we seem to be a minority.

So best of luck, and just keep confident and stay true to yourself. Besides, a confident personality is more of a turn on than any body type.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
    Micousa
    (male)

Micousa HB User

Aye man I go through the same thing you go through.
    Dont worry about it.
    Be you
    Get the money from your education
    and make all those mean girls that dissed you before crawl back to you
    Lolololol

Old 03-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
    MelBelle
    (female)

MelBelle HB User

I'd rather date a bigger guy than a skinny guy, and I'm a pretty small girl. Honestly, confidence is what I'm really drawn to. Jack Black/Kevin Smith = hottness. Stop wearing sweatshirts, and screw anyone who says anything mean to you.

Last edited by MelBelle; 03-09-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
    melona
    (female)

melona HB User

i have to think about it i wouldn't say no b/c bigg poeple like my self knows how it feel to be put off

Old 05-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
    Hazel_Eyes
    Veteran
    (female)

Hazel_Eyes HB User

I definitely agree with Lisa here. Teenage girls are superficial. I can remember when I was 16 - girls will very much more prefer being with a guy who is cute yet is a COMPLETE jerk as opposed to an average looking super sweet guy. When you're young, you're very immature.

Im really sorry that they are being mean to you. Girls can be very mean. They do not have to physically beat you to hurt your feelings. Gossiping, laughing at you, rejecting you and making sure they tell all their friends that they dumped you - yes, very nasty. very hurtful.

All I can say is be you. DO NOT HIDE YOURSELF!!!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS! I know its hard not to feel insecure when there are insensitive people out there... but really dont do that to yourself. Find clothes that flatter you. My ex was a bit heavy but he carried himself EXTREMELY well. He would wear sunglasses, jeans (NOT BAGGY - I THINK BAGGY JEANS ARE HORRIBLE) and a button up shirt - he looked great.

Button up shirts with the sleeve rolled up - I think they look good on any guy. I have seen heavy guys wear button up shirts, and they looked really good. Try it. I think its much better than wearing hoodies all day long especially when its like 90 something farenheit - HELLO? Summer is coming up. That is a no no. You might end up talking to a girl who does not focus on your weight rather than yor hygiene. If you wear a hoodie during a hot day, boy you will sweat = STINK = GROSS = BIG TURN OFF.

I personally do not like it when guys stink. Hygiene is HIGH on my list. I dated on guy solely on the fact that he smelled so darn good. He was so shy he would not say anything to me - that was a turn off... but the fact that he smelled so good... that made me think again. Ditch the hoody. I hope you dont wear those horrible baggy pants that come all the way down to your bum. Now, thats a horrible way to dress. I would never date a guy like that.

I have dated guys who were a bit heavy - but were extremely cool and fun to have around. I refuse to date guys who dress trashy... guys who try to do the Kevin-Federline-I-look-like-a-junkie effect, its a turn off for a lot of girls. I thought Id just share that little piece of info with you.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
    gibsonsg1991
    (male)

gibsonsg1991 HB User

Oh, no no no no no, I wear baggy pants, but not like down around my buttcheeks, lol. I actually found that if I pull them up to about mid-stomach range, they kind of slim me down a touch. I have gotten into the habbit of wearing vertical striped shirts, which are also slimming for some reason. Thanks everyone, you really made me feel okay.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
    Jelledge'slove
    (female)

Jelledge'slove HB User

I also agree with most of the girls. I'm am also petite and I like my boyfriend to be bigger than me. True that I do notice looks first, but most girls stay for the personality. My boyfriend isn't very handsome, he's not skinny, and he has bad acne, but I love him all the same as if he were a body builder or male model. Don't worry about the few "mean girls" that are like that. I'm am not perfectly skinny either and I do just fine. Just keep up an awesome personality. Best of luck to you!

Love Demi

Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 AM   #13
    **k*e*l*l*y**
    (female)

**k*e*l*l*y** HB User

its not always wots on the outside neway!!! its wots on the inside that counts!!!

Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
    AppleCore
    (female)

AppleCore HB User

I think you are thinking about more shallow girls when you ask this question really. I'm not too shallow but umm... yeah... But i've has crushes on guys who are chubby and i'm an exercise type person so it's kind of funny. lol. Also, i think it depends on personality and not to be too shall but some times for me the face. Umm.. but maybe, so you could be more confident, you should try to shed a few pounds. Girls will look at you differently and you would feel better about yourself wouldn't you?

Old 06-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #15
    Lavendere
    (female)

Lavendere HB User

Hehehe... true hazel_eyes.
    SOME girls only date guys because of their looks BUT some prefer personalities to looks.
    ~that's not very helpful is it
    IF you go for a popular girl than chances are she's going to choose looks over personality.
    HOWEVER i have seen popular girls date overweight guys purely because he's powerful and has a good status. So does that help?.. well that's all I have to say.

Closed Thread