It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• acid reflux?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
    james398us
    (male)

james398us HB User
    acid reflux?

so i am 19 about to turn 20 and for the past 2 months or so i have been getting a "burning sensation in the bottom of my throat. It didnt use to happen so much until here recently it occurs about 3-4 times a week. ESPECIALLY whenever i seem to drink orange juice, or eat some spicy foods. Its really been bothering me lately and i am not too sure what it is. And it happens to often to be just "blowing it off". If anyone has any ideas on what is happening, or ways to fix this problem please let me know. THANKS

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
    Longview
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Longview HB User
    Re: acid reflux?

Definantly sounds like Acid Reflux which can occur at any age, you don't have to be born with it. Acid Reflux really occurs with spicy foods you mentioned, but not too sure about orange juice. I know for me, when i eat mint, or brush with mint toothpaste i gag!!!! If you don't have that maybe you are just getting heartburn very easily all the time for some reason, in order to see if you have acid reflux you have to see an ear,nose and throat doctor. they have to do an exam thats not too exciting, but will help diagnose it.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

If it happens at night, try not eating or drinking a few hours before bedtime.

Overweight people have this problem often.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
    emmswoccer

emmswoccer HB User

i've had acid reflux since i was born... even though i've grown out of the worser stages of it. orange juice is a huge offender of it as well as anything wicked spicy (indian or mexican foods). something that i've always used to settle it down a bit though, which may help for you, is a glass of milk and ritz crackers. sounds crazy i know but any type of plain starch (like crackers) absorb some of the acid. hope u feel better!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #5
    Giggle 55
    (female)

Giggle 55 HB User

my sister has acid reflex and she is only 11 years old. there are alot of things that trigger it and depending on who you are they change. for example my sister gets it really bad after caffiene. talk to your doctor about it. i know that if it is really bad at night that is a major symptom

*good luck*

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 AM   #6
    hannahmw
    (female)

hannahmw HB User

i had it really bad when i was a baby and again a few years ago but i seem to be getting over it. My doctor put me on 3 different types of tablets and i found that the only one that really helped was "Nexium" ask your doctor about it.

Closed Thread