It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Height..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
    CA91
    (male)

CA91 HB User
    Height..

Height.. Stature.. Vertical prowess..
    However you want to say it, I've always been insecure about it. I just began my Freshman year today and I've came to the conclusion.. I'm not very tall... I'm 5'6.6" tall and 124lbs'. Ever since I can remember I've always felt small, I hate it. I can pull my weight, but I believe it's only because I push myself because I need to if I'm going to be on par with my friends who are mostly 5'8"-6'..

I can bench as much as one of my friends who is 5'9" and more than another who is also 5'9".. I'll be fifteen in December, and I'm terrified that I may stop growing soon. Before I explain my pubic hairs, let me tell you, my father is gorrilla hairy. He has hair EVERYWHERE for christ's sake. Anyway, my pubic hairs extend about 4 inches north of my genitals(which aren't short fyi, 6.7" is long enough of a willy for me).. My scrotum is hairy enough and I have hairs on my gooch(dunno what it's really called, but the space between the anus and the genitals) and anus. My voice is also as deep as my peers(the same guys who are 5'8"+)

I've also had arm-pit hairs for quite some time now. My legs are just as hairy as any of my friend's and my arms still don't have a single dark hair on them. My father is 5'10" or so and my mother is 5'3". My brother is about 5'10"ish also. I'm scared I won't reach the 5'10" mark..

I think my mother knows that I'm really height concious because every time she measures my height I end up being an inch taller than when I do it alone. I sometimes think of suicide because of this, I know it's crazy, but to me it means that much. I want to be a respect myself and others as an adult, and height means a lot to me.

I think a lot of my anxieties infront of large groups is related to my height.. I feel like less of a person. I can't even pursue a relationship with a girl that I've liked for nearly 4 years now because of the insecurities it brings me.

In closing I'd like to say that I am going to be fifteen in december(16th), also, here's a chart for my age/height:
    11/4'8"ish
    12/5'2"
    13/5'3"
    14/5'5"
    14.5ish/5'6.5"

You can see my concerns, I haven't had any major growth spurts since I was like 12... And everyone gets the beggining of puberty growth spurt.

EDIT: I first got pubes when I was 12.
    Thanks for the long read, really means a lot to me.

Last edited by CA91; 09-06-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User
    Re: Height..

5'6" isn't that short for a guy, especially for a 14 year old. Try not to compare yourself to others, but with that, I'm sure there must be boys your age who are shorter than you. I don't think there is a chance that at age 14 you have stopped growing. It sounds like your puberty is right on schedule. Lots of teens don't even have any signs of puberty until 14. Puberty can vary for everyone, you're an individual. You say "everyone gets the beginning of puberty growth spurt" -- that's not true. Everyone is different, so the changes won't happen the same way each time. As far as your dad being hairy, usually, men don't get really hairy until they are much older, like in your40s. That isn't part of puberty. No need to explain the details of your hair growth, it sounds totally normal. Growing up doesn't happen overnight. Don't beat yourself up over it. Everything you're going through is normal and it is something that every person goes through. If it makes you depressed, you might want to mention that to your mom and get some help from a doctor. But, there is nothing a doctor can do to make you grow taller or faster. Some people don't stop growing until they are like 20 years old. Just be patient.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
    CA91
    (male)

CA91 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minnesotagirl
    5'6" isn't that short for a guy, especially for a 14 year old. Try not to compare yourself to others, but with that, I'm sure there must be boys your age who are shorter than you. I don't think there is a chance that at age 14 you have stopped growing. It sounds like your puberty is right on schedule. Lots of teens don't even have any signs of puberty until 14. Puberty can vary for everyone, you're an individual. You say "everyone gets the beginning of puberty growth spurt" -- that's not true. Everyone is different, so the changes won't happen the same way each time. As far as your dad being hairy, usually, men don't get really hairy until they are much older, like in your40s. That isn't part of puberty. No need to explain the details of your hair growth, it sounds totally normal. Growing up doesn't happen overnight. Don't beat yourself up over it. Everything you're going through is normal and it is something that every person goes through. If it makes you depressed, you might want to mention that to your mom and get some help from a doctor. But, there is nothing a doctor can do to make you grow taller or faster. Some people don't stop growing until they are like 20 years old. Just be patient.
    Yeah.. There is a couple of people shorter than me.. But most of the people that are, aern't very much shorter. Usually like 5'3.5" to 5'5" and I can probabl y count those people on my two hands. It kind of sucks, because of it I sometimes don't feel like I fit in so I don't try to talk to people I don't know and end up seeming like a loner.

See, thing is, I've read some articles and in them i t says that your greatest growth spurt happens for two years after your first pubes and lasts for two more years. I'm almost 15 right, so that means since I got my pubes when I was 12 that I should be near my adult height when I turn 16.. And, I only grew 1.5 inches from 14-nearly 15.. So, if I grow 1.5 more inches from the 15-16, then I'll only be 5'8" at adult height. I speculate a lot and it's bad for me. I should think less and act more.

Anyway, it's weird.. The girl I like is friends with a lot of guys.. See, this shouldn't be a problem, I should be able to get with her anyway. I probably could if I tried hard enough.. But I almost don't want to because I feel like for some reason that the people who are bigger than me should maybe have the first pick.. I know it sounds dumb, but maybe it leads back to prehistoric alpha-male times. Or maybe it's me being scared sub-conciously that I can't protect her if people start flirting with her or something.. I don't know.. I hate being a teenager, I judge myself too much. I'm weird.. I'm taller than her, she's only like 5'3" but still, I don't feel man enough because of my height I think.

Last edited by CA91; 09-07-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User

The information you read in that article is incorrect. There is no set plan for growing. Maybe there's an "average" time for when people have a growth spurt but really it can happen at any time. If that information was right then people would stop growing by age 16? No way. I think it is RARE for a male to stop growing at age 16. Now, females are different, more females will reach their full adult height at a young age. But it takes a bit longer for guys.

As far as how you feel about approaching this girl, your feelings are normal and they stem from insecurities you have about yourself. Girls are more attracted to confidence and someone with a good self esteem -- which you can have at any height. Did you know that the actor Tom Cruise is 5'7"? You're only an inch away from that and he's Tom Cruise!

You're not weird to judge yourself a lot, that's a common thing for teens to do. It's a time of learning so of course you will question yourself. Even if other kids seem confident and like they have it all together, chances are they think the same thoughts as you. This is something you don't realize until you're older but I'm telling you now. Good luck !

Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
    CA91
    (male)

CA91 HB User

I think I've been mislead.. I was told somewhere along the line that during certain stages in puberty you get certain growth spurts, but the time it takes for you to go through these stages is different for everyone.. See.. I have all those hairs, thick armpit hairs a bit of stomach hairs and all that stuff.. Basically all I don't have is chest hair and dark arm hairs.. Meaning I'm in one of the further stages of puberty right..?

Wouldn't this mean I'm almost done growing? Or can some people be far in puberty and still have growing left to do?

Last edited by CA91; 09-08-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
    thegardener
    Inactive
    (female)

thegardener HB User

My husband is 5' 4" tall and I am 5' 8 1/2" tall. We are very comfortable with that and my husband is fine with his height. Remember, males continue to grow even after they turn 18. Many males return to their 5 year high school reunion taller than when they graduated. You still have many years to grow. Are you taking in enough calcium? Overdoing it is not better, either, you don't want to get kidney stones, but the equivalent of 4 glasses of milk per day is enough. Stop thinking that height is everything. It becomes everything if you can't stop focusing on it. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 AM   #7
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User

I don't think at your age that you are in one of the "further stages" of puberty. You can't judge that based on the amount of hair you've grown. You're still very young. Chest hair usually doesn't grow until you're much older, like in your 30s and 40s. Yes, during puberty you do have growth spurts, but there's no set pattern in the order that changes occur. The order or "stages" are different for each individual.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #8
    knittingwings
    (female)

knittingwings HB User

I'm not saying you won't grow, but even if you didn't it's no big deal. I'm about 5'5" (which id say is pretty average for a girl) and I've always preferred guys who weren't much taller than me...maybe 5'6" or 5'7". My long time boyfriend is 5'6" and we're very happy...I wouldn't have him any other way. Don't worry about it : )

Old 09-12-2006, 03:51 AM   #9
    duttin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

You need to keep in mind that height does not give you power,you just be who you are.I have a 15 year old son who is only 5'5 and he's anxious to grow to.He hasn't even hit puberty,not one arm pit hair.He's very discouraged.But it will all come at the right time.Yes,he gets picked on by his buddies,that look like men.He plays football.Defensive end.He holds his own,but he is alot smaller than his apponents.
    You will grow,just take the time and be you and your peers will repect you.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
    CA91
    (male)

CA91 HB User

Well, I'm around 5'7" now, depens on when I measure, but I varry from 5'6 and 3/4" to 5"'7 and 1/4".. I seem to be taller right when I wake up, it's a problem I have. I always judge myself, and the end result just depresses me. It sucks, but yeah, hopefully I'm not like my brother.. He was 5'8-9" when he was 14 and now is only 5'10"(At 17 and 10months of age). If that were the case with me, at full adult height I'd be at my full adult height right now.

I almost feel like I'm not growing, the changes are so subtle. I wish growth spurts were more noticable.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Too bad more girls weren't like Knitt/Gardener :P.. For most girls bigger=better.

I'm not scared of not being strong, I know muscle is in my genetics(even if I'm pretty thin right now), and even then-true strength comes from within to a certain degree. It's very unlikely if I were to fight someone who is like 6'3"+ that I'd stand a chance, but that doesn't mean I should be afraid. I'd rather get my *** kicked all around the school then act like a little ***** : P

Edit: Also, I do get plenty of Calcium and Protein! 75% of what I drink is milk, and about 45% of the things I eat are high in protein!

Last edited by CA91; 09-12-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
    kydog12
    (male)

kydog12 HB User

Im 14 and a half and im only 5'4".... dont worry.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
    CA91
    (male)

CA91 HB User

Man, I hate this.. Every day I face my demons, I don't know what it is.. I find myself comparing heights with everyone in mirrors and everything.. I hate it.. Why am I so insecure!? It tears me apart.

I'm 5'7" and 130lbs now, but, I feel like everyone is taller than me.. My best friends don't help, they're both overweight 5'10" tall kids. Today some kid who used to be real short wanted to compare heights with me, and my friend was like "I think he's a little taller than you!" **** that broke my spirits for some reason.. He claimed he was only 5'6".. That friend of mine that was judging I've known since I was really young, he has some ego problems. Always has.

I think that might've been half of it.. But for some reason I felt really bad about it today.. I wish I could just live without caring about my height!

It sucks being a teenager, I wish everyone was born their maximum height or something... I hate wishing for growth..

Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #13
    Bulakatos72
    (male)

Bulakatos72 HB User

ok height is not an important part of you. second 1t 14 years old you have statistically 12 centimeters left to grow that 4.75 inches left

Closed Thread