It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Physical exams

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #1
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User
    Question Physical exams

My sister needs a physical for cheerleading and she's freaking out about it. What does the doctor do during the exam?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User
    Re: Physical exams

I would definately not freak out over a physical exam. They are apart of life and being healthy. And, there are different types of physical exams. When I was in high school, a physical was required before you could participate in sports or certain activities such as cheerleading. During this exam, they just looked at the basic things like my weight and possibly vision, stretched out my limbs a bit, nothing scary at all. Probably making sure I've had all the necessary vaccinations. I think it included a urine sample but that's easy, too. It really was not a big deal at all! For women, we do have to have physical exams each year that includes a vaginal pap smear -- however, the physical I had to take for sports/activities did not include a pap smear! I think it would violate school policy if they made you get one of those. However, eventually, you're going to have to have annual pap smears especially after you've been sexually active. Pap tests are for cancer prevetion so it is just something that we all have to do. But, I bet the one your sister needs is very basic. I wouldn't worry at all!

Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

Thanks. Shes been worrying about it and I told her it wasn't going to be scary but she just keeps worrying.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kesae
    My sister needs a physical for cheerleading and she's freaking out about it. What does the doctor do during the exam?

She may have had her exam by now.. but either way..

I was once a cheerleader and have had many physicals. They are nothing to worry about, very basic and standard. They take your height and weight. Check your reflexes, look in your ears, check your breathing. They also make you bend over and touch your toes, so they can check your spine to see if it is straight. That's really about it.

My cheerleading physicals were also set up at the school, where you had to wait in line to see the doctor. The doctor was always a woman.

If she had the physical already, then I hope it all went well.

Closed Thread