It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Anorexia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
    Anorexia

I'm seriously considering starving myself and I actually might. I wish that I wasn't like this. It's just that when you have anorexia, you see yourself as fat when you really aren't. Like, you see fat that isn't even there. Before I actually started having these thoughts, I thought that people who have anorexia were people who wanted attention. But it really isn't that at all. I am involved with Dove's Campaign For Real Beauty to help girls have a healthy self-esteem to try to prevent eating disorders. I never in a million years thought that it would happen to me. I wasn't diagnosed with anorexia because I haven't starved myself. But if I keep having these thoughts then I believe that I'm well on the road of anorexia. I'm seeing a psychiatrist soon, though. So, is there anything at all that can stop these thoughts or at least make them less intense? Thanks. And I applaud everyone who has overcome this devestating disease.

Last edited by Aquaticgirl; 10-17-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User
    Re: Anorexia

I used to battle with thoughts of starving myself as well, even binging and purging. Although, i feared binging because I was afraid I wouldn't actually be able to vomit afterwards. The fear of gorging myself and not being able to throw up afterwards ended those thoughts. There were times I wished for the strength to starve myself, to not give in to the hunger. Now I'm thankful I lacked the discipline to starve, and gained the discipline to go to the gym and learn a balanced and healthy diet. I also kept reminding myself that most people suffering from anorexia lose their hair. My hair is the only thing I'm really vain about. Sounds dumb and shallow, but when you're at a place where you have zero self-esteem.. you hold on to anything positive you can find about yourself.

I think also, seeing images of girls who have suffered from this eating disorder scared me away from it. I wanted to be thinner, but not to such extremes! I started focusing on other things, things that made me happy, like my art.

You can be in control of your eating and body and still be healthy. The fact that you know its dangerous, and that you're acknowledging your unhealthy thoughts is a good sign. You're seeking help before you take drastic measures... thats a good thing. I think you're on the right track.

I'm not sure I answered your question(s). Good luck.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

I'm so glad that you've been able to overcome this. I know that it's hard. Yeah, what you said was very true. It's just so strange. Deep down inside I know that this is silly and that I really don't want to starve myself because I am thin and pretty. But there is a whole other side of me that wants to stop eating, so badly.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaticChic33
    I'm so glad that you've been able to overcome this. I know that it's hard. Yeah, what you said was very true. It's just so strange. Deep down inside I know that this is silly and that I really don't want to starve myself because I am thin and pretty. But there is a whole other side of me that wants to stop eating, so badly.
    As hard as it can be, you need to stay strong. The fact that you know it's unhealthy and dangerous will help you maintain strength. Try focusing your attention on other things, things you enjoy, hobbies. Keep your mind and body busy so you don't have time to even think those negative thoughts. Maybe try complimenting yourself once a day, first thing in the morning. It may help. Surround yourself with people who care about you, and make you feel good.
    Talking to a professional should help you straighten out your thoughts.

Good luck, take care of yourself.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Good advice. Thank you.

Closed Thread