It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Irregular Periods?? possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
    Watch
    (male)

Watch HB User
    Irregular Periods?? possible?

the other night hanging out with my g/f at the mall she was complaining about cramps and feeling bloated, etc. I thought it was wierd because i remember her being on her period not too long ago,so i asked her didnt she just get off of one? She told me then that she is irregular,and it got me worried. Its been a few times we have been hanging out and she has complained about cramps,sometimes they get so bad that it will be the only thing she talks about for a few minutes. I try my best at times,buy her a water, and try to lay down some massage therapy (yeah i dont know any of that but hey atleast i tried! ) by massaging her tummy as gently i could, but it still bothers her. The point is, is there anything that i could do to make her more comfortable when we are together and it bothers her a bit too much? Something i should keep handy or maybe a massaging technique? I dont like watching my girlfriend being uncomfortable. It gets me really worried that she might become amenic(sp?) or whatever its called. She complains about cramps in her legs,like leg pains down the side of her legs as well.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: Irregular Periods?? possible?

Get a heating pad and have her use it when you're at home. And if you're supposed to be out and about, then get a portable one. Excedrin sells a brand specially created for a woman to tape on the inside of her underwear against the skin, and it is a heating pad specifically for menstrual cramps. It's available either in the pain relief aisle of the drug store, or where the pads and tampons are located.

Other than that, if her pain is really bad, then she should get a prescription strength naproxen or ibuprofen from her doctor to take, because the over the counter Aleve and Advil don't work as well.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Irregular periods can occur every few months (sometimes even every year) or every few weeks and its also possible to have periods that arrive 2-3 weeks apart but its always best to have this looked into incase its hormonal related.

Heat pads will work. They are great for tummy pain.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
    shelovescliche
    (female)

shelovescliche HB User

Definitely heat pads. They're the only thing that will get rid of cramps for me.

She might want to get the irregularity looked at, but some people are just irregular their whole lives.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
    Unsure_88
    Inactive
    (female)

Unsure_88 HB User

Actually, if you are scared about her being anemic have her take some iron pills...she could have a problem with restless leg syndrome. Thats what it sounds like to me and it is an uncomfortable pain that is in the legs. Heat does help them and it always worked for me. But once I started taking the iron and calcium vitamins it gradually disappeared and were less frequent. It don't sound like...but thats for her leg cramping. There could be an iron deficiancy problem with her.

For her periods she was just like me and I was constantly feeling bloated and getting the other kind of cramps. You can also just buy some midol and have her take that. It is made for woman and there menstraul cycles and it focuses in more on the cramps then advil and aleve would. It will help with her bloating as well.

ThermaCare has a great type of heating pad as well for her cramps, they are like rocks in a thin white padding and it will get really warm and depending on how she moves it will give off a massaging feeling and it works really well. It always worked for me and I could walk and not have to worry about the effect that it had on me.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Therma Care heating patches are great. She should also try Midol and be taking vitamins regularly.

Make sure she looks at this page.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
    hagios
    Inactive
    (male)

hagios HB User

Hello, Watch.

Irregular periods are not only possible, but somewhat common for active teens. One of my ex-gf's, seemed like every time I saw her, she was either on her period or PMS-ing. She had another problem, though. She was an anorexic and developed a stomach ulcer, which led to strange feelings in her stomach that she didn't know what to do with. Do you know if your gf's feelings are definitely menstrual-related or is it possible that it's something else?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I also agree with the heat pads idea. I used to go tanning and laying in the warm beds felt great if my stomach was bothering me. I don't tan anymore to keep my skin healthier and I miss it!

If her cramps get bad enough she can look into going on the birth control pill. I went on it before ever having sex because I would get very sick from my period every month and throw up a lot. At one point I lost 10 pounds during my period from losing so much fluids and throwing up so much. The pill totally helped that and made my irregular periods perfectly regular. I actually used to get my periods less often than usual, which is kind of nice, but they were so bad to deal with! One time I went almost a whole year without it and it was kind of scary. I still get mild stomach aches but they aren't bad at all and are bearable and they only last the first day or two.

Has she tried any over the counter medicines? I haven't tried Midol and other ones meant for periods, but Advil liquigels even work well for me. Also eating less salty foods and drinking lots of water helps iwth bloating. I heard putting a lemon in your water is supposed to be helpful too. Iron pills or a multivitamin with 100% iron is a great idea to prevent anemia. If she feels very tired and bruises easily, that's a sign of anemia.. I thought I had it but I'm just randomly tired.. great lol!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 01-11-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Closed Thread