It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Bad breath is killing me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
    Zebadee
    (male)

Zebadee HB User
    Unhappy Bad breath is killing me

I've been having bad breath for a couple of months now, I used to cover it up with chewing gum but recently the smell has been getting worse, chewing gum makes it worse. Sometimes it's a very stale smell whilst recently it's been getting worse, I can't describe the smell but it's revolting.

I went to my doctor and he dismissed it, he said there's nothing they can do and maybe the bacteria will just clear up soon over time. It's really making me feel depressed and unhappy, I can't interact with friends and it's a huge barrier in my life.

I read about Halitosis and maybe it's that. I done a test as I saw my tongue was yellow, I scraped my tongue and smelt the saliva, it smelt of the bad breath which tells me the smell is coming from the tongue. How do I cure it? Is there anything I can do to kill the bacteria? I don't smoke and I drink plenty of water so that's not an issue.

I tend not to go out and I stay away from mates at college. It's really killing me inside and I don't know what to do

Please help me or give me some advice

Last edited by Zebadee; 11-16-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User
    Re: Bad breathing is killing me

I would definately go to see another doctor or perhaps a dentist.

The doctor who first examined you probably wasn't a very good doctor.

Because there are definately medical treatments and it could have something to do with your teeth, too. Or perhaps you have GERD.

Take what you've researched to another doctor or a dentist and try to get answers from him/her. You may want to call around and ask questions about the doctor before you go, describing your problem to a nurse or something.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
    Zebadee
    (male)

Zebadee HB User
    Re: Bad breathing is killing me

I am really disappointed with my doctor, hopefully I will get another appointment soon.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
    paulthebob
    (male)

paulthebob HB User
    Re: Bad breath is killing me

Sorry if this is considered bumping.

I've had a few cases of bad breath in my time... but they have all been linked to one thing... tooth decay.
    A bad breath is a dentists field not a doctors.
    Seriously, go see a dentist, get him to X-Ray your mouth (may be no visible cavities) but any sort of bad tooth at all can make, and will make your breath smell bad. Trust me. Every time mine has smelt bad, I've gone to the dentist, got the work done, usually a filling, and IMMEDIATLEY afterwords, no bad breath at all.

I really recommend seeing your dentist.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I would also go to the dentist for sure! They know a lot about this and can help.

Here are some ideas.. Are you drinking a lot of water? If you aren't drinking enough, that can cause your mouth to get dry and give you bad breath. Drinking more water and avoiding sugary drinks helps keep breath fresher. Also, when you DO chew gum, is it sugar free? Ones with sugar, like Winterfresh, will help temporarily but then cause bad breath later on. So for gum/mints make sure it is sugar free. Do you brush and floss your teeth regularly? Your teeth should feel smooth when you put your tongue over it.. and not flossing can really cause bad breath. Try flossing and smell the dental floss, it will not smell good! Make sure you get that gunk out and try to floss once a day. Lastly, do you brush your tongue when you brush your teeth? This makes a huge difference. They make brushes with tongue cleaners on the back. I just brush it with the toothbrush (with toothpaste). I feel like this makes the biggest difference of all. They also sell those tongue scrapers. I haven't used one but I'm sure they work great.

Let me know if you have already tried all of those things.. if you have I would definitely look into a dentist or new doctor. But those things are some common things to look out for. I'm always doing all of them b/c I get freaked out about my own breath!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
    kingme00
    (male)

kingme00 HB User

Hi there,

A friend of mine tried this product called BodyMint. It doesnt work only on breath, but all odors as well. He swears by it, so it may be something you might want to look into.

Take care,
    Ryan

Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
    d444
    (male)

d444 HB User

i agree on the tooth decay, defenatly see a dentist. id recomend one important thing...FLOSS!!!! there is so much plaque and bacteria between teeth, especially the molars, floss twice a day for 3-4 days, floss hard, if u see a lot of bleeding means its working (and that u need a cleanning). also brush your tounge in the morning a few seconds, and use listerine, that stuff is the best, all other prouducts are just flavored water.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

If the odor isn't from plaque or gingivitis or any other oral problem them try alfalfa. Alfalfa is good for any type of body odor.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Definitely the dentist!! Do you have and crowns? If you have decay under one of them it will smell and taste unbearable bad (I've even told friends that they need to get their teeth checked and specifically crowns) for this exact problem. Bad breath is never w/o a cause. Floss, brush and if the smell is still there head to the dentist for a full cleaning & checking of loose (decaying underneath) crowns and/or periodontal disease.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-26-2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: peer sharing only - please read and follow the posting rules

Closed Thread