It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• What do i really look like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
    bridgeyangel88
    (female)

bridgeyangel88 HB User
    Unhappy What do i really look like?

Well i have a problem...
    When I wake up in the morning, and get changed, i look at my stomach in the mirror and i look quite skinny. i can see my ribs a tiny bit, but hardly. I feel sort of good about this, because i feel good about my self. But at least a half hour later, i might look again, and i am fatter and i can not see my ribs and i look huge. I am a little over weight, but why do i look different in the morning, but not later on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
    bridgeyangel88
    (female)

bridgeyangel88 HB User
    Re: What do i really look like?

any help? i am sort of confused!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
    minnesotagirl
    Inactive
    (female)

minnesotagirl HB User

Here's what I think: You look differently because you're a woman and we tend to totally over analyze and put WAY too much focus on our bodies.

The difference you see in your body from when you wake up to a half hour later is SO SMALL that I'm sure that only you can tell the difference. No one else notices things like that, even though you might think otherwise. My guess is that you ate some food and that's why you think you appear a bit bigger. But, it's really not any bigger. You can measure or weigh yourself to be sure -- I bet the difference is only a centimeter or less.

The image you see in the mirror can be deceiving. Because as women we are so critical of ourselves. It took me some time to realize this.

If you can see your ribs slightly, then you're totally healthy and not overweight at all. If you can really see your ribs a lot, then chances are you're underweight and may even have an eating disorder.

But, I feel the same way about my body. Sometimes I joke to my friends "I woke up skinny today!" Of course I know that I really didn't, it's probably just my empty stomach.

It's great that you feel good about yourself!! Keep up that attitude and you'll be just fine!!

Old 12-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
    passionateman
    (male)

passionateman HB User

i recommend removing the mirror, and only look in them when you put on make up and do your hair.

and just try not to worry, i guess its hard being a girl, but if your worried your friends will say something bad they are not your friends.

if your worried about guys saying something, we are not that shallow, and if i guy you like says something mean, he doesn't love you.

the guys who would say something rude your better off avoiding anyway.

i also strongly recommend you see your gp or if your American the doctor you see when you have the flu and discuss it with her/him, before it gets to serious that you stop eating, especially if you are worried about what guys think, because we aren't that bad.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

People have told me that the accurate time to weigh yourself is at 9am.. later on during the day you tend to weigh more or get a little bigger from eating and drinking. I seem to weigh mostly the same all day though! I guess it varies by person. I would say not to worry about it.. don't look at your body too much or you will start obsessing over it even more. Just wear clothes that make you comfortable, eat pretty healthy, do some exercise that makes you feel good about yourself. Do some things that make you feel confident about yourself. That is the best thing you can do.. and when you feel confident, you will often make healthier decisions! Just don't worry about it.. I am sure you look fine and other people won't be noticing these differences you see in your body. Honestly.. I see differences in myself all the time and nobody else sees them but me! We are always harder on ourselves!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
    keyboardplaya
    (male)

keyboardplaya HB User

Seriously, do not worry about your weight at all. If you can see your ribs even SOME of the time, then you might even be too skinny. Forget the numbers. My stomach changes during the day too. After I eat meals I tend to be a little fatter, and after I go to the bathroom, or perhaps the next day when I wake up, I'm a little skinnier. It's normal, don't worry.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
    earthdayapril22
    (female)

earthdayapril22 HB User

I have to say that I totally agree with what minnesotagirl says, just take her advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Have a nice day
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
    newuser1122
    (female)

newuser1122 HB User

When you are laying in bed at night your spine stretches or at least that is what I heard in health. And when you are sitting or standing all day the pressure weighs it down.

Closed Thread